Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
teblin

Milan already looking at players

This is an interesting interview towards the end states they are looking at players.

Sorry if this has already been posted

Milan interview

The end of the month thing still makes me wonder if it is someone involved in the play offs who will be manager.

Its very dangerous for a chairman to start getting players in when teh incoming manager could have had previous dealings with the player MM purchased or he simply might not rate them! You get problems in Italy and Spain when the board at times buy the players they want and conflict happens when the manager doesnt play them. I suppose the nearest we have got to it in England is Abramovich buying Shevchenko (allegedley) against Moaninhos wishes and the moaner refused to play him at the start and its all got ugly!

Get the manager in soon MM and let him pick his players!

3 or 4 top quality players he’s targeted and discussed with potential managers. Interesting. I believe MM obtains a far superior judegment of decent players than any of our previous four managers.

You may be right mate but chairman/owners should stick to doing there bit and raising the revenue and maybe limiting themselves to making suggestions in the transfer market or raising funds for the players that a manager targets. It gets very uncomfortable when owners start sticking there beakls in and assume the role of manager like some prats have done in the past like good old Ron Noades.

3 or 4 top quality players he’s targeted and discussed with potential managers. Interesting. I believe MM obtains a far superior judegment of decent players than any of our previous four managers.

Ray Charles is a better judge of players than our last four managers!

I think it's fair to say many of the rumours surrounding players are:

a) Completely made up

b) Players MM himself may be looking at.

After all, he stated the other day that he was already looking at players who any manager would accept as part of the squad.

You may be right mate but chairman/owners should stick to doing there bit and raising the revenue and maybe limiting themselves to making suggestions in the transfer market or raising funds for the players that a manager targets. It gets very uncomfortable when owners start sticking there beakls in and assume the role of manager like some prats have done in the past like good old Ron Noades.

Serious question. If you were a chairman would you really let a manager - perhaps even a rob Kelly or a Peter Taylor - have carte blanche to spend your millions?

Serious question. If you were a chairman would you really let a manager - perhaps even a rob Kelly or a Peter Taylor - have carte blanche to spend your millions?

It depends who the chairman and the manager in question is I suppose. If that owner/chairman was an ex football man, player and manager like say someone like Niall Quinn or a Franny Lee, I would appreciate his input if he approached me as a manager with a suggestion on a player that he heard is available. However, when you get to the stage when chairman who know little about players who then stick there oar in it can only over complicate matters.

A person who is good enough to have been named manager of a football club should be good enough to identify the players he is after and make sure that his staff are right and that includes scouts and youth team manager. All the chairman should do is get a list of the managers targets and try and get as many as he wants. If the chairman is made aware of the availability of a player then its fine if he mentions it to the manager but he shouldnt just sign players without the consent of a manager as that player may not fit within the system that the manager wants to play.

Ive mentioned Mourinho before but the Shevchenko situation typifies everythiong for me. Two years on the bounce Chelsea have won the title and had no problems, infact, Cheslki kept on improving the squad with the likes of SWP, Ballack and Ashley Cole. The owner then is alerted that a player who he is apparently friendly with is available and signs him with Moaninho actually asking to buy him (Sheva). Moaninho gets a bee in his bonnett with reagrds to be told what to do (lets remember this bloke has won 4 league titles on the trot in two countries, the UEFA Cup and Champs League the following season amongst other trophies). What has transpired has almost been comical. The chairman is upset that Sheva doesnt play and then refuses extra funds for Mourinho to buy a defender (meanwhile there best ball winning midfielder is made a centre-half) and a stand off commences. There relationship has deteriorated because the owner/chairman tried to get involved in playing matters that are of no concern to him as thats not what he knows and what he excels in, thats Mourinhos job. I firmly believe that if Mourinho spent the £30m on the players he wanted instead of Shevchenko last summer or even in January, they would still be in Europe and would be the Premiership winners. Playing injured players like Terry and not coping when they have had injuries is what has destroyed them and made them look half a team at times.

What I am basically saying is if you have not got FULL FAITH in the person who you are appointing to come in as manager then you have got the wrong man for the job. I havent many concerns with MM but the one that worries me is his frequency of changing managers and making silly snap decisions and the fact that he bounces around from club to club and not that many have proved to be succesful ventures. I am a Milan fan and hope he is wiser today than he was 10 years ago but he needs to get the right man in and back him behind the scenes if that means putting his hand in his pocket to better our scouting system or to not try to pussyfoot about and actually buy players with 7 figure fees.

What would you do as chairman then Thrac??

It depends who the chairman and the manager in question is I suppose. If that owner/chairman was an ex football man, player and manager like say someone like Niall Quinn or a Franny Lee, I would appreciate his input if he approached me as a manager with a suggestion on a player that he heard is available. However, when you get to the stage when chairman who know little about players who then stick there oar in it can only over complicate matters.

A person who is good enough to have been named manager of a football club should be good enough to identify the players he is after and make sure that his staff are right and that includes scouts and youth team manager. All the chairman should do is get a list of the managers targets and try and get as many as he wants. If the chairman is made aware of the availability of a player then its fine if he mentions it to the manager but he shouldnt just sign players without the consent of a manager as that player may not fit within the system that the manager wants to play.

Ive mentioned Mourinho before but the Shevchenko situation typifies everythiong for me. Two years on the bounce Chelsea have won the title and had no problems, infact, Cheslki kept on improving the squad with the likes of SWP, Ballack and Ashley Cole. The owner then is alerted that a player who he is apparently friendly with is available and signs him with Moaninho actually asking to buy him (Sheva). Moaninho gets a bee in his bonnett with reagrds to be told what to do (lets remember this bloke has won 4 league titles on the trot in two countries, the UEFA Cup and Champs League the following season amongst other trophies). What has transpired has almost been comical. The chairman is upset that Sheva doesnt play and then refuses extra funds for Mourinho to buy a defender (meanwhile there best ball winning midfielder is made a centre-half) and a stand off commences. There relationship has deteriorated because the owner/chairman tried to get involved in playing matters that are of no concern to him as thats not what he knows and what he excels in, thats Mourinhos job. I firmly believe that if Mourinho spent the £30m on the players he wanted instead of Shevchenko last summer or even in January, they would still be in Europe and would be the Premiership winners. Playing injured players like Terry and not coping when they have had injuries is what has destroyed them and made them look half a team at times.

What I am basically saying is if you have not got FULL FAITH in the person who you are appointing to come in as manager then you have got the wrong man for the job. I havent many concerns with MM but the one that worries me is his frequency of changing managers and making silly snap decisions and the fact that he bounces around from club to club and not that many have proved to be succesful ventures. I am a Milan fan and hope he is wiser today than he was 10 years ago but he needs to get the right man in and back him behind the scenes if that means putting his hand in his pocket to better our scouting system or to not try to pussyfoot about and actually buy players with 7 figure fees.

What would you do as chairman then Thrac??

I would want a complimentary partnership and would wish my manager to believe in me as much as I'd believed in him.

Before appointing that manager I would wish to outline the parameters for the job - what he could expect of me by way of budget, support, extent of free choice. What I would expect of him in terms of the type of team, age/price/value of players and reciprocal loyalty.

He would know that no player would be bought against his wishes or without his knowledge and approval. Ever.

Indeed, while I might put suggestions to him from time to time, entirely without prejudice, the manager would have absolute freedom to reject anyone.

The manager would name his own targets (including any of my suggestions he thought worthy of being on that list) and they would be properly researched and considered against the background of his reasons for wanting them and the role they would play.

I would reserve the right to reject some for reasons I would explain and which he would be given opportunity to counter but, in the end, we would agree who we'd try to purchase and that would provide an important buffer against criticism for the manager.

He would not be solely to blame for a bad signing. It would be our joint mistake.

The manager would have sole responsibility for appointing his coaching team and for tactics and the motivation of players within the parameters I mentioned earlier which would relate to the type of football I expected and the responsibility he would have towards the paying supporters as well as in relation to results.

Negative football would not be an option.

If he respected that criteria and things went wrong he would have my complete support for as long as it was practically sustainable.

If things did go wrong he would find my door open to consider each and every possible way to change things around. If I ever needed to change a manager I would consider myself a failure.

You may be surprised but I very rarely changed either players, coaches, helpers or team selections during my period of management in both football and squash. New players came in and we formed new teams for them but very, very few moved out.

The whole drive was to establish a clan which evolved within itself and which supported itself completly with Mafia-like loyalty.

One characteristic was that players never spoke to referees, not one word, good or bad. It helped establish a special identity. Being invited to join the clan was also perceived as something special.

I would want all that again. That way the manager, the coaches and players could function freely and without fear. Sacking or showing disloyalty to anyone within the clan would be a strike at the very fabric of what the club represented.

The manager might have a blueprint - but to all intents and purposes he would be God - and despite what I hope would be a fun and easy environment - no-one would be in any doubt about that.

Collective achievement - on and off the field - would be the only things that mattered.

I would want a complimentary partnership and would wish my manager to believe in me as much as I'd believed in him.

Before appointing that manager I would wish to outline the parameters for the job - what he could expect of me by way of budget, support, extent of free choice. What I would expect of him in terms of the type of team, age/price/value of players and reciprocal loyalty.

He would know that no player would be bought against his wishes or without his knowledge and approval. Ever.

Indeed, while I might put suggestions to him from time to time, entirely without prejudice, the manager would have absolute freedom to reject anyone.

The manager would name his own targets (including any of my suggestions he thought worthy of being on that list) and they would be properly researched and considered against the background of his reasons for wanting them and the role they would play.

I would reserve the right to reject some for reasons I would explain and which he would be given opportunity to counter but, in the end, we would agree who we'd try to purchase and that would provide an important buffer against criticism for the manager.

He would not be solely to blame for a bad signing. It would be our joint mistake.

The manager would have sole responsibility for appointing his coaching team and for tactics and the motivation of players within the parameters I mentioned earlier which would relate to the type of football I expected and the responsibility he would have towards the paying supporters as well as in relation to results.

Negative football would not be an option.

If he respected that criteria and things went wrong he would have my complete support for as long as it was practically sustainable.

If things did go wrong he would find my door open to consider each and every possible way to change things around. If I ever needed to change a manager I would consider myself a failure.

You may be surprised but I very rarely changed either players, coaches, helpers or team selections during my period of management in both football and squash. New players came in and we formed new teams for them but very, very few moved out.

The whole drive was to establish a clan which evolved within itself and which supported itself completly with Mafia-like loyalty.

One characteristic was that players never spoke to referees, not one word, good or bad. It helped establish a special identity. Being invited to join the clan was also perceived as something special.

I would want all that again. That way the manager, the coaches and players could function freely and without fear. Sacking or showing disloyalty to anyone within the clan would be a strike at the very fabric of what the club represented.

The manager might have a blueprint - but to all intents and purposes he would be God - and despite what I hope would be a fun and easy environment - no-one would be in any doubt about that.

Collective achievement - on and off the field - would be the only things that mattered.

Thats all well and good but when the chairman/owner is quoted as saying he was upset in the delay in taking over because he "lost out on 3 or 4 players" and that there is a chance that he may bring in players before a manager has turned up now, I see that as a potential problem.

Managers manage the team and identify the players that will ultimately be apart of the team and the chairmans job is to find the funds and back the manager. Niall Quinn is typical of what I mean. As a manager he was shocking and Sunderland may have been relegated had he stayed incharge this season. As a chairman he made a great decision in bringing in a player that he had fallen out with himself as a player because he saw him as the man to do a job. Off the field Quinn has helped secure Sunderlands biggest sponsorship deal and his club is being linked to all sorts of mega deals, mostly with Irish firms!

I`d love Milan to spend his time in increasing our turnover and revenue and stop and make the right choice for us regarding the manager and leave the rest to his selection and stear clear of team affairs.

Thats all well and good but when the chairman/owner is quoted as saying he was upset in the delay in taking over because he "lost out on 3 or 4 players" and that there is a chance that he may bring in players before a manager has turned up now, I see that as a potential problem.

Managers manage the team and identify the players that will ultimately be apart of the team and the chairmans job is to find the funds and back the manager. Niall Quinn is typical of what I mean. As a manager he was shocking and Sunderland may have been relegated had he stayed incharge this season. As a chairman he made a great decision in bringing in a player that he had fallen out with himself as a player because he saw him as the man to do a job. Off the field Quinn has helped secure Sunderlands biggest sponsorship deal and his club is being linked to all sorts of mega deals, mostly with Irish firms!

I`d love Milan to spend his time in increasing our turnover and revenue and stop and make the right choice for us regarding the manager and leave the rest to his selection and stear clear of team affairs.

Whatever he does I hope it works and that we fans have something to get excited about.

i think milan is the sort of chairman that likes to help out without getting to involved on the playing side i dont think he would just go out and buy a player if we had a manager he would say to the manager ive got a player in mind that i believe would strengthen your squad would you like me to buy him?then if the manager is not interested then i believe milan would not try and get the player

Mandaric: City chief

Mandaric looking for new recruits

Chairman Milan Mandaric has begun scouring the transfer market for new signings - even though the Foxes are currently without a manager.

Mandaric is hoping to appoint a new boss before the end of the month but in the meantime, discussions about the futures of existing Foxes players have also begun.

And the Walkers Stadium supremo said: "We now have a tremendous opportunity to plan for the future and next season and we are already talking to some of the potential managers about new players we have identified as possible signings.

"Unfortunately though, we are not just looking to bring in one or two players, we need to bring in more than that and make sure they are quality players.

"At the same time, we are not going to let our good players drift away and be signed by someone else - we are working very hard on that.

"We have people at the club who are already dealing with the issues surrounding our out-of-contract players."

just seen this sorry if same posted elsewhere

Mandaric: City chief

Mandaric looking for new recruits

Chairman Milan Mandaric has begun scouring the transfer market for new signings - even though the Foxes are currently without a manager.

Mandaric is hoping to appoint a new boss before the end of the month but in the meantime, discussions about the futures of existing Foxes players have also begun.

And the Walkers Stadium supremo said: "We now have a tremendous opportunity to plan for the future and next season and we are already talking to some of the potential managers about new players we have identified as possible signings.

"Unfortunately though, we are not just looking to bring in one or two players, we need to bring in more than that and make sure they are quality players.

"At the same time, we are not going to let our good players drift away and be signed by someone else - we are working very hard on that.

"We have people at the club who are already dealing with the issues surrounding our out-of-contract players."

just seen this sorry if same posted elsewhere

good read that some stuff im glad to hear like keeping our better players and also attracting a few 'quality' players good stuff milan

I think Milan's spot on here. My main worry was that by not having a manger now, we would be missing on the top deals that are out there, because this is when the deals are being done! MM knows this and although he won't be rushed into appointing a new manager, has taken it upon himself to ask the main applicants whether certain players would be wanted. Obviously if the majority agree that these are players they would want, then MM can have the green light to snap them up before other rivals do! It's a smart move.

I can however, see another side to it. Milan has to be careful that the players he goes after, are based on actual recommendations by the short listed managers, otherwise he risks upsetting a relationship before it has even begun!!

Archived