Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
surrifox

Parachute payments

Apparently the parachute payments available for the relegated premiership clubs at the end of the current season are £33 million payable over 3 years which will make it pretty tough to break the hegemony of the existing top 20 clubs. Assuming WBA beat wolves then the three clubs relegated at the end of last season will be going back up and even the likes of watford clearly not good enough to compete in the prem will have bundles of dosh available to compete for player signings. Hope MM will dig deep in the hope of getting a huge payoff at the end of it

Apparently the parachute payments available for the relegated premiership clubs at the end of the current season are £33 million payable over 3 years which will make it pretty tough to break the hegemony of the existing top 20 clubs. Assuming WBA beat wolves then the three clubs relegated at the end of last season will be going back up and even the likes of watford clearly not good enough to compete in the prem will have bundles of dosh available to compete for player signings. Hope MM will dig deep in the hope of getting a huge payoff at the end of it

Important to have a manager with the qualities to attract the right sort of players here then...so that appointment is just as vital as the money he intends to part with IMO!

As I've said all along MM's £9mill over two seasons is £3mill less than we blew when we were relegated, anyone who thinks MM's ownership and cash is a guarantee to promotion/success is walking around with their head up their arse.

Every season relegated clubs get a parachute payment and can spend relative amounts of money to the payment. That has and never will guarantee automatic promotion back into the premiership for a number of reasons with the major one being that they usually sell there best places when relegated. Of course they can replace them and bed new players in but buying players can be the making and breaking of a team, as we fuly well know (f***ing Peter Taylor).

There will always be sides who are managed well and go up, it happens every season with the likes of us, Bolton, Ipswich, Portsmouth , Sheffield Utd, Watford, Reading amongst others who have gone up to varying degrees of success.

If people think that the relegated clubs will automatically come up they are in cloud cockoo land. There are sides within this division who will not make it through the play-offs this time who will be strong next season without having to worry about buying new players or major changes that will occur with the relegated clubs. I also think that those who dismiss that there will be a sleeper club or two who will come from nowhere are way off the mark as this happens every season with the likes of Colchester and Stoke suprising a few this season. Therefore, I`ll say that the door is slightly ajar for a club like ours to somehow sneak into the play-off scene. It wont be easy but that has got to be a target for us.

There will always be sides who are managed well and go up, it happens every season with the likes of us, Bolton, Ipswich, Portsmouth , Sheffield Utd, Watford, Reading amongst others who have gone up to varying degrees of success.

If people think that the relegated clubs will automatically come up they are in cloud cockoo land.

The point is that they will this year - WBA supposing, and the situation is getting easier not more difficult. What this money will ensure is that the nucleus of a squad can be kept together - and will not be released for financial reasons

As I've said all along MM's £9mill over two seasons is £3mill less than we blew when we were relegated, anyone who thinks MM's ownership and cash is a guarantee to promotion/success is walking around with their head up their arse.

Disagreement at this word. I feel he will make a difference in attitude.

The point is that they will this year - WBA supposing, and the situation is getting easier not more difficult. What this money will ensure is that the nucleus of a squad can be kept together - and will not be released for financial reasons

If football was so predictable "on paper" then we`ll all make millions on footy betting.

I realise that the relegated clubs will be in a stronger position but you have to ask yourselves if players want to go and sign for clubs like Watford or Sheffield United. Also, as I mentioned before, the likes of a WBA, Wolves or even Derby (if they dont go up) will be in a better position IMO than two of the relegated clubs.

Already we are hearing that Warnock wants to return to the Premiership as a manager and Im sure that the likes of Jagielka will want to leave. Sunderland have already been linked to there keep Paddy Kenny too and the likes of Tonge may want to stay a Premiership player. Bent will leave Charlton too and Pardew has already been quoted as saying he hopes to keep 90% of the squad. Arguably that may mean he expects to lose other players like Luke Young and maybe someone like Thomas or Heirederson and they have already had to return there keeper to Liverpool. Watford have already sold there best player in Ashley Young but have had to give Foster back to Man Utd.

Lets not forget the parachute payments are there to assist clubs away for just a transfer budget. They will all suffer a loss in revenue due to gate recipets, sponsorship and other commercial activities which may have been fruitful whilst being in the premiership. That money will help the general running costs including paying some big old wages, something that as Leicester fans we know can cause much harm to a club.

Im willing to put my money where my mouth is BTW and will bet anyone who wants to take me on upto the tune of £1000 in lumps of £50 bets that all 3 relegated clubs wont come straight back up next season! They`ll be plenty of twists and turns this summer and some of those relegated clubs may find it tougher than many think.

Disagreement at this word. I feel he will make a difference in attitude.

Disagreement with what? attitudes will change but it wont guarantee promotion or success!

Every season relegated clubs get a parachute payment and can spend relative amounts of money to the payment. That has and never will guarantee automatic promotion back into the premiership for a number of reasons with the major one being that they usually sell there best places when relegated. Of course they can replace them and bed new players in but buying players can be the making and breaking of a team, as we fuly well know (f***ing Peter Taylor).

If people think that the relegated clubs will automatically come up they are in cloud cockoo land. There are sides within this division who will not make it through the play-offs this time who will be strong next season without having to worry about buying new players or major changes that will occur with the relegated clubs. I also think that those who dismiss that there will be a sleeper club or two who will come from nowhere are way off the mark as this happens every season with the likes of Colchester and Stoke suprising a few this season. Therefore, I`ll say that the door is slightly ajar for a club like ours to somehow sneak into the play-off scene. It wont be easy but that has got to be a target for us.

Indeed people often underestimate the time and skill it requires to make a new team blend and function properly - however good the new players.

MM seems to have taken account of this with his three-year-programme but it still requires a lot of good decision making and a lot of luck with injuries, vital refereeing decisions and a host of other factors which can have great effect either individually or collectively.

You've only got to consider the last day of the Premiership season to realise that. Hence another case for the positive manager. The person who will head for the winning post from the off and who, hopefully, won't get caught up in the last-day nailbiting.

Someone who will chase victories away from home as fervently as he will chase home wins.

Isn't after next season that the parachute payments go up so much?

The relegated teams from the 2007/8 season will be the ones that get all that money, not this seasons Watford, Charlton and Sheff Utd... The new TV deal comes in next season, so I don't see why clubs getting relegated now will get more money than before?

And while all that money is no guarantee of getting promoted, it is obviously a massive help, and is why I think this coming season we really have to throw everything we've got at achieving promotion, because it will be a lot harder to get there the following year.

Isn't after next season that the parachute payments go up so much?

The relegated teams from the 2007/8 season will be the ones that get all that money, not this seasons Watford, Charlton and Sheff Utd... The new TV deal comes in next season, so I don't see why clubs getting relegated now will get more money than before?

And while all that money is no guarantee of getting promoted, it is obviously a massive help, and is why I think this coming season we really have to throw everything we've got at achieving promotion, because it will be a lot harder to get there the following year.

The article I read stated that despite their despair at relegation, Sheff U will have over £30 million to console them out of the new parachute payments payable from next season

Parachute payments are more to do with keeping a club with Premier League (As it will be called as of next season. Barclays Premier League rather than the Barclays Premiership. More Americanization for you) running costs afloat... they don't necessarily mean having a lot of money to spend. Well they do, but it still doesn't mean a club like Leicester, which has relatively low running costs as a result of three years of cutting back, can't compete with a bit of financial backing.

Important to have a manager with the qualities to attract the right sort of players here then...so that appointment is just as vital as the money he intends to part with IMO!

the exact point i have been making for several months now!

unless we are in the pack that get promoted/relegated within the next 3-4 seasons we will possibly never break into the group of teams placed in the bottom 6 of the prem and the top 6 of the champ!!! the pressure is on MM!!

Ahh yes but will these bumper payments not create a league within a league - like in the prem, can you ever see anyone apart from the top 4 winning the prem any time soon ??

Ahh yes but will these bumper payments not create a league within a league - like in the prem, can you ever see anyone apart from the top 4 winning the prem any time soon ??

No but I could see someone like Tottenham breaking into the top 4.

No but I could see someone like Tottenham breaking into the top 4.

i suppose that proves my point really.....a MAYBE for 1 team to break the the top 4 dominance!

if you think this new system will n ot create a league within a league within the champ you need to pull your head out of the clouds. how can a team with a £10m (a year for 3 years) pay cheque before a ball is kicked not dominate over a team with something like a £500,000-£1M turnover for the whole season?

the only exception to this trend will be forigen investment

Expect the face of english football to change furthermore over the next 5 years.

PS with the extra money in the prem i also expect to see a trend of prem based teams dominating i europe also.

i suppose that proves my point really.....a MAYBE for 1 team to break the the top 4 dominance!

if you think this new system will n ot create a league within a league within the champ you need to pull your head out of the clouds. how can a team with a £10m (a year for 3 years) pay cheque before a ball is kicked not dominate over a team with something like a £500,000-£1M turnover for the whole season?

the only exception to this trend will be forigen investment

Expect the face of english football to change furthermore over the next 5 years.

PS with the extra money in the prem i also expect to see a trend of prem based teams dominating i europe also.

No your point was that there would a league within a league created. Whether someone out of the top four wins the prem is irrelevant.

Te £10M also covers the loss of Sky revenue, the drop in attendences and possibly ticket prices. Many of the clubs best players will also leave to continue to play in the Premiership so they will need to rebuild their team, whereas teams already in the Championship have a solid team with a few additions. So anyone can still get promoted.

Even if the new parachute payment system went into effect after this season, I don't see what all the fuss would be about in regards to making things more difficult for Leicester; At least two of the clubs that are receiving parachute payments would be promoted this season, thus there'd be at least two less teams in the Championship receiving the parachute payments than the maximum.

(As it will be called as of next season. Barclays Premier League rather than the Barclays Premiership. More Americanization for you)

Off topic, but, "huh?" The competition has always been officially known as "The F.A. Premier League" and has only officially been known as the "Premiership" when a sponsor's name is attached to it (and that's the only thing that's changing as of next season). Calling it the "Premier League" isn't Americanization, it's just common sense: it's much better than "The Barclays State of Being Premier."

I agree that there are leagues within leagues and so on but we sometimes have short momories as fans when we talk of leagues and the strengths of the sides within it.

5 years ago nobody would have predicted that Chelsea would join Man Utd and Arsenal`s dominance of the Premiership. They looked all set to dominate England for the next decade until Abramovic turned up with his wad. Since then Chelsea have won 2 out of the last 3 Premiership titles and Arsenal seem to be slipping back. This time around Liverpool look all set, for the first time since the 80s, to be able to compete financially with the big clubs of the division and will probably mount a serious challenge next season too.

The next tier has clubs who may emerge as possible realstic champions league candidates. A fav of mine to watch are Spurs. I dont think any club in the division has a better forward 3 than Lennon, Keane and Berbatov and two 5th place finishes tells us they are heading the right way. Add the clubs who have new owners or are on the brink of new owners or backers like Everton, Aston Villa, Sunderland, West Ham (I think they did the double over Arsenal and Man Utd this season), Man City and Portsmouth and the league looks healthy. I actually think the gap is closing and the best example is comparing the table from this season to last. The top 4 arent getting better but are coming back to the field as all sides get stronger. Only 4 sides drew 10 games or mpre last season but 10 did this time which is a sign of the games getting closer.

this season - last season - diff in points

Man Utd 89 - 83 +6

Chelsea 83 - 91 -8

Liverpool 68 - 82 - 14

Arsenal 68 - 67 +1

Back to us, we have a lot of work to do in the transfer market but Derby and Sunderland have shown that you can make mass changes and still suceed. Of course its better to keep a squad together and add to the quality but that will not happen with the relegated prem clubs because there best players will leave as always. There is also the hangover effect and doom and gloom that surrounds clubs who have got used to losing like the Watfords and Sheff Utds of the world and thinking that its automatic that they will all go up is way off the mark IMO.

We should aim for 6th spot but only if the investment we anticipate to happen actually materialises or else we should lower our targets. Lets see who we bring in and who everyone else sells and buys and then making predictions maybe a little easier!

I would be very surprised if 9 million is all there is.

The 9 million is just a injection of cash from milan which the club wont have to pay back he will very likely loan money on top of this so I would expect a higher transfer budget than when we had the parachute money.

Archived