Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Master Fox

Allen in crunch meeting

Martin Allen today has his first face-to-face meeting with Leicester City chairman Milan Mandaric to discuss the managerial vacancy at the Walkers Stadium.

Originally scheduled for last night, the talks had to be put on hold as Mandaric's return from abroad was delayed.

But the City chief last night said: "I am happy that we are starting to get things moving at last."

City were given permission from MK Dons to approach Allen, who has become the strong favourite for the job, but negotiations still need to be completed before the move is made.

Mandaric will have contingency plans if his first target falls through, but he said: "There is never any guarantee, but I hope the talks will show each other what we want to see.

"I think he is an ambitious young manager who is enthusiastic about the game, and now I will get to meet him face to face.

"I am ambitious for the club, and I am sure I can convey that to him."

Mandaric had to wait until MK Dons were clear of their promotion play-offs before making his approach, and the delay has meant he has not been able to bring in any new players since the season finished.

Discussing moves with the new manager was always essential and if Allen, as expected, does get the job, then the recruiting process will start in earnest.

Mandaric said: "It has been difficult because I feel there have been players available who have gone elsewhere when they might have come to us, but we did not have a manager.

"It was a problem, but it is such an important decision I did not want to rush it.

"I have talked to a lot of people in the game about managers who might come here and do the job, and I hear the good points and bad points of many contenders.

"No-one is perfect, and I have to make the right choice for the club's future, so it is the most important job I have to do at this moment."

By Bill Anderson

All sounds good. Hope this goes through quickly and we can get on with sorting out the squad.

Plus if Allen doesn't come I'm still very worried about who we might end up with. Just hope someone else snaps Warnock up quickly!

Former Leicester City player Tommy Wright has described Martin Allen as one of the best managers he has worked under.

Leicester-born Wright was on loan at Brentford from City when Allen took over at Griffin Park in 2004.

The Bees were deep in relegation trouble, and Allen managed to keep them up with a final-day victory.

Wright, a graduate of the City Academy, said it was Allen's arrival that sparked Brentford's successful relegation battle.

Now the forward believes Allen can bring success to the Walkers Stadium.

"He came to Brentford at just the right time," said Wright, who worked under Dave Bassett, Micky Adams and Craig Levein during his time at City.

"If he had not come to Brentford when he did I think we would have been relegated. He came in and sat everyone down and read us the riot act.

"He told people a few home truths and it worked because, at the end of the day, Brentford stayed up," added Wright, who has also played under Colin Hendry and Simon Grayson during a loan spell at Blackpool.

Wright, who is now playing for Darlington in League Two, said Allen was "a great motivator".

The 22-year-old described an unconventional team-building exercise on his first away trip under Allen as an example.

"We played Hartlepool away and trained on the Friday at a park," recalled Wright.

"There was a river with trolleys and all sorts in it. He said that if we all gave him £2 he would jump in and swim to the other side.

"We said yes and he took his clothes off, jumped in, got out the other side and ran back to the hotel.

"It really brought us together and we went on to win."

Wright added: "Leicester have under-achieved this year. He will give them a kick up the backside.

"Martin Allen is the type that, if you don't give 100 per cent, he will let you know in no uncertain terms.

"He will get the lads wound up. He's a great motivator.

"I didn't know much about him when he arrived at Brentford. He had come from Barnet and when he came in he oozed confidence, which was good.

"He studied the opposition and seemed to know every single detail of other teams. Football is in his blood.

"To look at him and not really know him can be intimidating. Underneath it, he is a really nice bloke and, if he does get the job, he will do a good job."

what are the odds on him becoming manager atm?

I would probably imagine him being around 4/11 at the very best!

Id say first 3 in betting would be something like:

4/11 Martin Allen

7/4 Neil Warnock

4/1 Nigel Worthington

All sounds good. Hope this goes through quickly and we can get on with sorting out the squad.

Plus if Allen doesn't come I'm still very worried about who we might end up with. Just hope someone else snaps Warnock up quickly!

Amen to that :thumbup:

When I go over all the candidates in my head, I get one one of the better feelings when I think of Mad Dog. This will undoubtedly be his biggest job yet, hopefully he will associate Milans input as a respectful and supportive partnership and not as an irritant as seen with various egotistical managers/chairman at other clubs in recent years.

It had just occured to me that were Allen to get the job it'll not be unlike what happened with Laws and Wednesday... some times "lower league" managers are just ready to make the step up... we'll see...

Archived