Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Why the time fear for a "winner"

No, but if we always waited for confirmation of the truth we'd hardly say a thing on here.

Had the figure mentioned been £400,000 that would have been one thing but £1.5 seems a long way over the top even if there's scope for adjustment.

Yes, but that £1.5m is from a newspaper gossip column. How can you hold someones opinion on what a manager may be prepared to pay for a player they may be interested in against them? That makes no sense. Especially as we have not confirmed our interest in the player. I mean, we could read tomorrow in the Daily Star that he wants to spend £1m bringing Josh Low back from Peterborough...just because its printed it doesn't make it true.

Yes, but that £1.5m is from a newspaper gossip column. How can you hold someones opinion on what a manager may be prepared to pay for a player they may be interested in against them? That makes no sense. Especially as we have not confirmed our interest in the player. I mean, we could read tomorrow in the Daily Star that he wants to spend £1m bringing Josh Low back from Peterborough...just because its printed it doesn't make it true.

Makes it a perfectly valid focus of comment to me.

If, for arguments sake, I wrote that Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs had all shown interest in, say, Leicester's Joe Mattock then people might well comment on it whether there was any evidence or any truth in the comment or not.

And if I added that, depending on how the situation developed with Gareth Bale at Southampton, those clubs might all be ready to consider Mattock as an alternative then someone might recklessly link the words Bale-Hay-Harvest and then what?

The key word would be "consider" but two + two would easily become five, six or any number upwards and all would emanate from a couple of entirely unsubstantiated paragraphs. Nothing but printed gossip really of the sort that might be heard in a pub.

Anyway, please ignore the second and third paragraphs. They are only for illustrative purposes. Simply there to show that people will react to rumours. And football is awash with such chatter every day.

With Mattock having signed for two years that is surely Harvest enough. :whistle::)

Makes it a perfectly valid focus of comment to me.

If, for arguments sake, I wrote that Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs had all shown interest in, say, Leicester's Joe Mattock then people might well comment on it whether there was any evidence or any truth in the comment or not.

And if I added that, depending on how the situation developed with Gareth Bale at Southampton, those clubs might all be ready to consider Mattock as an alternative then someone might recklessly link the words Bale-Hay-Harvest and then what?

The key word would be "consider" but two + two would easily become five, six or any number upwards and all would emanate from a couple of entirely unsubstantiated paragraphs. Nothing but printed gossip really of the sort that might be heard in a pub.

Anyway, please ignore the second and third paragraphs. They are only for illustrative purposes. Simply there to show that people will react to rumours. And football is awash with such chatter every day.

With Mattock having signed for two years that is surely Harvest enough. :whistle::)

Why write them then? Coming from the arch chatterer himself!

I understood what Thrac was saying, I too thought the article from Walsh was an odd one. It's probably the media making it in to a story rather than Walsh going out of his way to say what he said and in the context The Mercury have written it.

You often find in the media though that any player or manager with a mentality that hates losing and is a bit of a passionate nut case is labelled a winner irrespective of what they've actually won or not won.

I wouldn't class Allen as a winner just yet, but he has credentials that are very sought after in a manager and we've needed them for a long while. He hates losing and the amount we've lost over the past 4 years is disturbing so if Allen hates losing then he either best get used to it or he best install a winning emntality in his team. He's done that at his other clubs, so i'm confident he'll improve us.

I understood what Thrac was saying, I too thought the article from Walsh was an odd one. It's probably the media making it in to a story rather than Walsh going out of his way to say what he said and in the context The Mercury have written it.

You often find in the media though that any player or manager with a mentality that hates losing and is a bit of a passionate nut case is labelled a winner irrespective of what they've actually won or not won.

I wouldn't class Allen as a winner just yet, but he has credentials that are very sought after in a manager and we've needed them for a long while. He hates losing and the amount we've lost over the past 4 years is disturbing so if Allen hates losing then he either best get used to it or he best install a winning emntality in his team. He's done that at his other clubs, so i'm confident he'll improve us.

I'd agree with all that.

To me it's as near certain as you'll ever get that Allen's passion and determination - even his charisma if you like - will lift us some way and start some upward momentum.

I'm just concerned about how much of what he has to offer is kidology and how much is genuine expertise.

Allen might be a verbal breath of fresh air but there's things that concern me, in fact a lot more things than when he was appointed

Ignoring his being away at this vital time and considering his "nearly-but-not-quite" record, his goals against, his apparently crude style, his reportedly combative, route one rather than creative tactics, his apparently dogmatic personality, his supposed interest in Dons players of questionable pedigree and the doubts start making too long a list to be comfortable.

Strip away the inevitable and understandable hype, and I'm just not sure the bloke is flexible enough or clever enough to consistently beat the sorts of managers he's likely to come up against in the Championship.

I see the bloke's got charisma - but has he got class?. That, to me, is the question.

It seems such a silly point in some ways but Grayson achieved his promotion yet I cannot imagine his team unduly intimidating referees for one instance...

Allen on the other hand ...

Well, we'll see but I'll warn now. It takes brains as well as balls to get out of the Championship.

I'd agree with all that.

To me it's as near certain as you'll ever get that Allen's passion and determination - even his charisma if you like - will lift us some way and start some upward momentum.

I'm just concerned about how much of what he has to offer is kidology and how much is genuine expertise.

Allen might be a verbal breath of fresh air but there's things that concern me, in fact a lot more things than when he was appointed

Ignoring his being away at this vital time and considering his "nearly-but-not-quite" record, his goals against, his apparently crude style, his reportedly combative, route one rather than creative tactics, his apparently dogmatic personality, his supposed interest in Dons players of questionable pedigree and the doubts start making too long a list to be comfortable.

Strip away the inevitable and understandable hype, and I'm just not sure the bloke is flexible enough or clever enough to consistently beat the sorts of managers he's likely to come up against in the Championship.

I see the bloke's got charisma - but has he got class?. That, to me, is the question.

It seems such a silly point in some ways but Grayson achieved his promotion yet I cannot imagine his team unduly intimidating referees for one instance...

Allen on the other hand ...

Well, we'll see but I'll warn now. It takes brains as well as balls to get out of the Championship.

If you take out the questionables (as you don't really know) then your list isn't that long really

Hi eveyone BTW, how rude of me...

If you take out the questionables (as you don't really know) then your list isn't that long really

Hi eveyone BTW, how rude of me...

I'll be more than happy to take out the "questionables" in due course - if any prove unfair. I listened to his interview when he was appointed manager and he sounded pretty definite about being combative. And, a number of his own comments suggested he'd run his ship in a "my way or nothing manner" which equates to being dogmatic.

That would leave his being interested in Dons players like McLeod and Lewington as potentially false and whether his style of play is crude/route one. If neither proves the case I'll be happy to reduce my list of concerns. It's not a list I'm keen to keep. :whistle:

Former Leicester captain Steve Walsh has tipped new boss Martin Allen to lead the club back into the Premiership.

Allen was appointed Foxes manager last month after leaving League Two outfit MK Dons.

"I think we have the right man and it all depends on what players we bring in," Walsh told the Leicester Mercury.

"It's a restructuring and rebuilding process and these things take time but hopefully we can get into the Premiership."

short but sweet

Archived