Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MBK

Foxes legend Dougan dies aged 69

Nicknamed the Doog, he will be remembered as one of the great characters of the game, as well as being a very effective centre-forward.

Dougan scored over 120 goals for Wolverhampton Wanderers and was in their victorious 1974 League Cup side.

He won 43 international caps and before joining Wolves played for Portsmouth, Blackburn Rovers, Aston Villa, Peterborough United and Leicester City.

Dougan was also an outspoken chairman of the Professional Footballers' Association.

Born in Belfast in January 1938, he played for Irish League club Distillery before joining Portsmouth.

Derek Dougan in action for Wolves

Derek Dougan played in the 1974 League Cup final at Wembley

He remained at Fratton Park until March 1959 when he transferred to Blackburn Rovers for £15,000.

He spent two-and-a-half years at Ewood Park before signing for Aston Villa in July 1961. Two years later Dougan was off again, this time to Peterborough United.

In the summer of 1966, he switched to another club, Leicester City, before securing his place with Wolverhampton Wanderers in 1967.

In just over eight seasons at the Molineux, Derek made 320 first team appearances for Wolves netting over 120 goals.

He helped the club regain get back to the First Division status in 1967 and played when they beat Manchester City in the 1974 League Cup final.

Dougan made his Northern Ireland debut against Czechoslovakia during the 1958 World Cup in Sweden and his latest international appearance was in 1973.

During his time with Northern Ireland, he struck up a partnership with George Best.

In December 2005, Dougan joined other former Northern Ireland team-mates in carrying the coffin at Best's funeral.

RIP but was he a legend? one season :rolleyes:

Probably not so for us but a total ledge for Wolves.

Met the guy once at a book signing. True gent. Top bloke.

RIP Doog :worship:

One of my all time Leicester City heroes. A quality centre-forward, no question, but also one of the game's real characters and always terrific fun to watch.

I particularly recall two examples. On one occasion he was captain and the pitch was a quagmire, particularly the centre-circle. When the time came for the skippers to shake hands and spin the coin for choice of ends or kick-off, Dougan started walking towards his opposite number with his arm outstretched.

As the two met he went into a slide and his proferred hand missed his opponent's by some distance as he slithered into the distance.

It was typical Dougan humour and on another occasion I recall him being hemmed in by first one, then two and finally three defenders close to the outside edge of the penalty area.

Gradually he was forced further and further from goal but still the defenders watched cautiously and refused the dive in for a tackle. Step by step Dougan retreated still more until he was right beside the corner flag.

The three defenders still crouched around him ready to pounce whereby Dougan left the ball beside the corner flag and casually walked away. The crowd just loved it.

It's a bit disconcerting to hear of so many of my boyhood heroes breathing their last in recent years - George Best, Stanley Matthews, Alan Ball, Derek Dougan, Keith Weller - and most of them at a still relatively young age.

And Dougan well deserves to be mentioned in that company. Special guy, special player and for anyone who was not lucky enough to see him play, I can promise you, one of Leicester City's true greats.

RIP "The Doog" and thanks for some terrific goals and so many wonderful memories.

One of my all time Leicester City heroes. A quality centre-forward, no question, but also one of the game's real characters and always terrific fun to watch.

I particularly recall two examples. On one occasion he was captain and the pitch was a quagmire, particularly the centre-circle. When the time came for the skippers to shake hands and spin the coin for choice of ends or kick-off, Dougan started walking towards his opposite number with his arm outstretched.

As the two met he went into a slide and his proferred hand missed his opponent's by some distance as he slithered into the distance.

It was typical Dougan humour and on another occasion I recall him being hemmed in by first one, then two and finally three defenders close to the outside edge of the penalty area.

Gradually he was forced further and further from goal but still the defenders watched cautiously and refused the dive in for a tackle. Step by step Dougan retreated still more until he was right beside the corner flag.

The three defenders still crouched around him ready to pounce whereby Dougan left the ball beside the corner flag and casually walked away. The crowd just loved it.

It's a bit disconcerting to hear of so many of my boyhood heroes breathing their last in recent years - George Best, Stanley Matthews, Alan Ball, Derek Dougan, Keith Weller - and most of them at a still relatively young age.

And Dougan well deserves to be mentioned in that company. Special guy, special player and for anyone who was not lucky enough to see him play, I can promise you, one of Leicester City's true greats.

RIP "The Doog" and thanks for some terrific goals and so many wonderful memories.

Echo those thoughts Thracian a real character and while we're recalling incidents I remember one occasion also a corner where he had 2 or 3 markers, he gradually moved, drawing them to the far post and then just before the corner kick was taken ran around the back of the north stand goal to meet the ball at the near post, we didn't score from it but boy was it funny at the time seeing the 3 markers stranded at the far post.

I also met him when I was a guest at Wolves in one of their executive boxes he spent some time chatting to us very friendly, very knowledgeable and very funny.

RIP

The Doog!

One of the greats of British football

Echo those thoughts Thracian a real character and while we're recalling incidents I remember one occasion also a corner where he had 2 or 3 markers, he gradually moved, drawing them to the far post and then just before the corner kick was taken ran around the back of the north stand goal to meet the ball at the near post, we didn't score from it but boy was it funny at the time seeing the 3 markers stranded at the far post.

I also met him when I was a guest at Wolves in one of their executive boxes he spent some time chatting to us very friendly, very knowledgeable and very funny.

RIP

The Doog!

One of the greats of British football

Not really had another hero at the City. He was a real character and excellent centre foward. The crowd just loved him. In a way Matt Gillies saved him from obscurity but didn't realise what a footballer he had in the Doog.

Quite shocked to hear of his death. Certainly will not be forgotten and that's at Leicester City a great player and hero.

35 goals in 68 games says it all for me.

Although I never saw him play for City he was still one of my favourite players and remember him well from Star Soccer.

You have to ask why we sold him to Wolves though! :dunno:

My first City game was against Wolves and he may even have played :unsure:

RIP Doog

35 goals in 68 games says it all for me.

Although I never saw him play for City he was still one of my favourite players and remember him well from Star Soccer.

You have to ask why we sold him to Wolves though! :dunno:

My first City game was against Wolves and he may even have played :unsure:

RIP Doog

Because that's what LCFC have always done, they are the proverbial almost team, so many times since I've been watching them have we had the makings of a 'winning' team but the managment/board could never quite go the extra yard and usually ended up selling when they should have been buying.

Mine too - sod City, the guy was a football legend; gifted, an entertainer and a personality. I loved The Doog. :worship:

He took the time to sign every single persons programme when playing in his testimonial at the Poppies, every single kid there - no excuses, no crap, just a genuine affection for the fans that adored the honour of seeing a true gent on the field of play.

Football has lost another link to its more honourable past. :(

For anyone who doubts he was Leicester City & an all round Football Legend comments from LCFC fans prove otheer wise.

Some comments from the Fox Fanzine:

thedoog

My favourite memory of Derek is after he scored at Villa in a FA cup game,he saluted the 12000 Leicester fans mainly in the Holte end. there was a wonderful photograph in the Daily Express on the Monday after showing him being saluted by thousands of Leicester . He lived in Anstey while playing for us and it seemed that every lad from the surrounding area had knocked on his door and had been made welcome by Derek and his wife .To the people who use the word legend to describe any old Tom Dick orHarry who have played for the City I say you can count the actualnumber who deserve that accolade on one hand,but Derek deserves his place amongst them

Goodbye and Godbless

marcofox

Always a City fan, but as a 8 year old living in Wolverhampton at the time, witnessed a protesting, pissed up large City following in the South bank Moulineux in Sept 1967. They were singing and lobbing bottles. The song "apt" was lets all drink to the "Death of the Doog" to the tune of Manfred Manns Death of a clown. City I believe won 3-1. I cried along with the sale of Banks when we sold him

Had the previous season Wolves promotion 1966/67 seen the Doog score one of the best goals I have ever seen against Hull. A punt from the keeper which the Doog allowed to bounce, then back heeled over his head and volleyed in to net from 25 yards.

RIP The "Dooooooooog"

sambuckinfox

This is dreadful news and has left me cold.

I came on here to post that I'd spoken to Gordon Banks today at an event in MK, but I'll save that for another day.

Great memories about the Doog. Apart from the goals, 3 things stick in my mind

1) We were youngs kids hanging around Filbo kicking a ball around when we first saw the Doog turn up. Had no idea who he was but knew instantly he was something different and something special by his dress style, and his stature.

2) The Doog coming on one game wearing one white plimsole and one boot and limping around.

3) Almost leading a bemused close marker round the back of the goal at the Kop end.

I see the Doog ... the Doog sees me ... Dougan forevermore.

firenzefox

Sad news today of the passing away of Derek Dougan. One of my first Filbert Street heros. Don`t make them like him any more.

BigLofty

A Real striker brought a lot of passion to the game , a pleasure to watch R.i.p old lad.

JerseyRon

dont think anyone here wouldnt know the doog or show respect to him.

It wasnt the 'career' back then, probably didnt die too rich... and/or affected.

our lot could learn something about fight and passion from him.

RIP- Sleep well..

the crafty fox

A true legend of the 60's. RIP 'The Doog'

Kendalfox

Brought more than a touch of Charisma to our side alongside his technique and goalscoring and his fighting qualities.

Another one of the old school to remember.

Overthemoon

A very sad day when he was inexplicably transferred to Wolves.

foxache

Remember well that he was established in the team when I first started going to games. At 10 I couldn't understand why my dad and uncle were so annoyed when 'Doog'and 'Banksy' were allowed to leave within weeks of each other. I soon got to learn why, particularly in '69 when we were relegated with that whinging rat Clarke in the side. Everything Clarke wasn't 'Doog'was: charismatic,courageous,fan friendly!...A true great RIP!

Dougan Goal - run and cross from Davie Gibson

For me, he Doog was the first City player I was aware of as having character. Before him even our best players were, well just players. He was an icon and an idol, yet always had a few minutes for the fans, especially the kids.

He deserved the acclaim we gave him a took it with a cool grace that marked him out as special, in that or any other era.

His goal celebrations in front of the old Kop live with me to this day and it is no coincidence that I chose a photo of him to accompany my occasional ramblings on this site.

RIP

Archived