Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Bear

Michael McIndoe

Re Gobern:

He's a good player for a youngster. Has a bit of pace, not afraid to run at people and can whip pretty decent crosses in.

Last we heard he had been stalling on a new contract, and Ince told him to hold off signing it as he'd take him to Leicester if he got the manager's job.

That fell through and rumour is Wolves then offered him a lesser contract which is the last we heard. So he may well be available if you can offer him regular football. He's not going to get in ahead of Kightly and now Jarvis has signes who can cover both flanks.

I think he'd be a decent signing, but like Porter is only young and may be inconsistent. He's a direct take-them-on player too, though not quite as quick as Porter.

I didn't think Porter was particularly fast :unsure: Or was the bottom bit about McIndoe?

lol Porter hasn't got the attitude to be a successful pro.

Like TPH said when he gets marked he just does nothing, trots around thinking about what him and Elvis will be doing that night and when the ball finally gets to him he's so surprised he hits it into touch.

Porter's attitude is fine - as 30-odd games in his first full season pays testimony. That's an excellent achievement and far more games than many of our senior professionals managed. Big deal that he still has things to learn.

There's all this reference to Porter, Stearman, Wesolowski going out at night but I've news for you. It's nothing unusual, either for the youngsters or the seniors. And going back to the days of Walsh and Worthington it was no different then either.

People are different. Some damned good footballers were chainsmokers, womanisers and/or pissheads. If you're going to judge him simply on his lifestyle he and many others have no chance. As for strolling about, I think both Porter and Hammond were among the players who could pretty well always be relied on to show some effort.

Especially compared with a good few others I could mention.

People are different. Some damned good footballers were chainsmokers, womanisers and/or pissheads. If you're going to judge him simply on his lifestyle he and many others have no chance. As for strolling about, I think both Porter and Hammond were among the players who could pretty well always be relied on to show some effort.

You're living in a dream world.

:frusty:

Porter's attitude is fine - as 30-odd games in his first full season pays testimony. That's an excellent achievement and far more games than many of our senior professionals managed. Big deal that he still has things to learn.

There's all this reference to Porter, Stearman, Wesolowski going out at night but I've news for you. It's nothing unusual, either for the youngsters or the seniors. And going back to the days of Walsh and Worthington it was no different then either.

Especially compared with a good few others I could mention.

1st Part - There was no-one else to play there untill Worthington came in and had the balls to play Mattock.

2nd Part - At least when those other players showed some determination and effort when they pulled on the shirt not just walked onto the pitch either in Stearmans case hoofing it or Porters walking around aimlessly waiting for the final whistle, out of them 3 Wesolowski was the only one to put in real effort when we was in the shit.

3rd Part - I wasn't judging him on his lifestyle but he clearly cares more about what he's doing that night and how much is in his bank account as he was once famously asked whats the best thing about being a footballer and he said 'The money.' Shows he really cares about playing football to the best of his ability? As long as he's getting paid he don't care.

The difference being that people didn't mind Frank Worthington going on the piss as he then scored brilliant goals at the top level a day or two later, as opposed to standing next to a touchline being marked out of a game by someone who can only get a contract playing for Southend United.

The difference being that people didn't mind Frank Worthington going on the piss as he then scored brilliant goals at the top level a day or two later, as opposed to standing next to a touchline being marked out of a game by someone who can only get a contract playing for Southend United.

But Frank Worthington was told to go and score great goals. Porter is 'apparently' instructed to stand still on the byline, barely watching play.

The lad has ability but if he's not careful, a football career will pass him by.

You're living in a dream world.

:frusty:

He has got a point that there are players who can go out and have a merry time and still get it done on a Saturday afternoon. I disagree that Stearman is one of them but I do agree that Porter and Hammond at least showed some effort last season...even if in Hammond's case it was overshadowed by his lack of ability.

As for Porter going missing in games...how many young players (especially wingers) don't? I don't want to risk repeating Thracians Hammond/Rooney mistake but I often forget that Ronaldinho is even on the pitch when watching Barcelona. My main problem with him is that when he gets to the byline he doesn't seem to have confidence in his ability to put the ball into the box and tends to play a short pass backwards instead. Having said that he was not the only player who visibly lacked confidence last season and I hope that this was due to problems with Kelly's management and can be corrected by Allen.

They double mark Porter, thats why he's never in the game.

So techinically, two people who can only get a contract playing for Southend United lol.

I honestly hope he improves and takes his chances with the first team when they are given to him, but he will change his attitude first, :dunno:.

But Ronaldino pulls out something brilliant everygame or at least trys to get involved.

Its not 1 game Porter went missing in try 10-15 on the trot when it really mattered and he doesn't seem to care.

He has got a point that there are players who can go out and have a merry time and still get it done on a Saturday afternoon. I disagree that Stearman is one of them but I do agree that Porter and Hammond at least showed some effort last season...even if in Hammond's case it was overshadowed by his lack of ability.

As for Porter going missing in games...how many young players (especially wingers) don't? I don't want to risk repeating Thracians Hammond/Rooney mistake but I often forget that Ronaldinho is even on the pitch when watching Barcelona. My main problem with him is that when he gets to the byline he doesn't seem to have confidence in his ability to put the ball into the box and tends to play a short pass backwards instead. Having said that he was not the only player who visibly lacked confidence last season and I hope that this was due to problems with Kelly's management and can be corrected by Allen.

That's a sensible post... which I applaud because it's the first one so far which defends Porter (and he does deserve defending to a point).

It is fairly clear that Porter is going to be a better player when oozing confidence .. a commodity which was in short supply last time around. He has the ability... there is just no excuse though for standing still on the byline waiting for the ball. If you watch good wingers, they move up and down the line, come infield occasionally to get the ball, overlap, make decoy runs... Porter just waits for the ball. In a team which is struggling to get the ball at all... that's criminal.

You're dead right about RK though - he was part of the problem and as a result I won't write Porter off. It just pisses me off that so many posters refuse to see his faults because he's not perfect and it doesn't really help him when expectation is at such a level.

But Ronaldino pulls out something brilliant everygame or at least trys to get involved.

I have often seen Ronaldinho look like he doesn't care but thats besides the point. Hopefully Porter may show some effort under Allen's management and if he does he may turn into a reasonable player at this level. If he doesn't then I would much prefer McIndoe.

Its not 1 game Porter went missing in try 10-15 on the trot when it really mattered and he doesn't seem to care.

He also scores over 20 goals a season from the Left wing.

If Porter did that I doubt he'd have his critics.

I have often seen Ronaldinho look like he doesn't care but thats besides the point. Hopefully Porter may show some effort under Allen's management and if he does he may turn into a reasonable player at this level. If he doesn't then I would much prefer McIndoe.

Agreed 100%.

If you watch good wingers, they move up and down the line, come infield occasionally to get the ball, overlap, make decoy runs... Porter just waits for the ball. In a team which is struggling to get the ball at all... that's criminal.

Agreed, but our whole first team stood around waiting for the ball so I don't think that can just be aimed at Porter. It would not be an exaggeration to say that our problems last season were due to a complete lack of movement off the ball until Worthington tried to get the players to at least look like a football team. We didn't get to see Porter in that environment and no disrespect towards Mattock but I think that when we actually started to move about a bit and play football has maybe been the cause of a lot of the mudsling towards Levi.

Agreed, but our whole first team stood around waiting for the ball so I don't think that can just be aimed at Porter. It would not be an exaggeration to say that our problems last season were due to a complete lack of movement off the ball until Worthington tried to get the players to at least look like a football team. We didn't get to see Porter in that environment and no disrespect towards Mattock but I think that when we actually started to move about a bit and play football has maybe been the cause of a lot of the mudsling towards Levi.

I'm not just aiming it at Porter. It's just that Porter is the only one who seems to get defended.

He also scores over 20 goals a season from the Left wing.

If Porter did that I doubt he'd have his critics.

Absolutely, as I said I wasn't comparing them at all. I was merely suggesting that even the best players in the world have games in which they don't make a huge impact or look like they can't be bothered.

The only reason its aimed at him because people hype him up to be really good and ignore the fact he didnt do anything that match eg the match ratings topic last season.

Porter - 8 - Outstanding contribution.

Johnson - 1 - Over ran

Jarret - 1 - Shite

Hughes - 0 - OMG why play him there again.

He has still yet to justify alot of the praise he gets.

He might be a good footballer but its about time he showed it.

The only reason its aimed at him because people hype him up to be really good and ignore the fact he didnt do anything that match eg the match ratings topic last season.

Porter - 8 - Outstanding contribution.

Johnson - 1 - Over ran

Jarret - 1 - Shite

Hughes - 0 - OMG why play him there again.

He has still yet to justify alot of the praise he gets.

He might be a good footballer but its about time he showed it.

Yes. That's what I've been getting at.

If anyone else plays sh it, it's because they are sh it. With Porter there are always excuses made for him.

He needs to buck up his ideas.

I'm not just aiming it at Porter. It's just that Porter is the only one who seems to get defended.

I don't know about that , Fryatt gets defended far more than Porter on here (though I really don't want to re-open that argument here and even Hughes still seems to have his enthusiasm from some fans.

I'd just like to do a summary of Porter of what I believe:

There's no doubt in anyone's mind the reason for our poor attactking displays last season were due to lack of movement, and that was down to every last player out there. I'm not sure how Porter could be defended for this because he was equally at fault as everyone else was.

Porter has demonstrated what he can do, he just needs to maintain his form. With the management of Martin Allen, I think Porter will recapture the form that made him popular with the fans. If he does drop out of games too often, he'll know about it and he'll be dropped. The problem last season was that there wasn't good enough cover for Porter to be dropped.

Also, he needs to improve on his defensive work I believe. Now this may sound weird I know because he is a winger, but countless times last season we were exposed on that left hand side due to Porter's lack of getting back.

Levi Porter is a decent player, capable for this division, he just needs to be more confident in his displays and have the right attitude. I firmly believe next season we will see the best of him.

I'd just like to do a summary of Porter of what I believe:

There's no doubt in anyone's mind the reason for our poor attactking displays last season were due to lack of movement, and that was down to every last player out there. I'm not sure how Porter could be defended for this because he was equally at fault as everyone else was.

Porter has demonstrated what he can do, he just needs to maintain his form. With the management of Martin Allen, I think Porter will recapture the form that made him popular with the fans. If he does drop out of games too often, he'll know about it and he'll be dropped. The problem last season was that there wasn't good enough cover for Porter to be dropped.

Also, he needs to improve on his defensive work I believe. Now this may sound weird I know because he is a winger, but countless times last season we were exposed on that left hand side due to Porter's lack of getting back.

Levi Porter is a decent player, capable for this division, he just needs to be more confident in his displays and have the right attitude. I firmly believe next season we will see the best of him.

I swear Thracian used to say he was always saving Nils' Bacon :dunno:

Archived