Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
demon_dog

Those were the day's

Just found an old programme from 1968/69 season. (City v Coventry.)

If only we had some quality players like this.

Peter Shilton

Peter Rodrigues

David Nish

Alan Woollett

Bobby Roberts ( Can't remember him)!

John Sjoberg

Graham Cross

Malcolm Manley

Len Glover

Allan Clarke

Andy Lochhead

Rodney Fern

David Gibson

Mike Stringfellow.

Manager Frank O'Farrell

April 1st 1969, we were 2nd from bottom of the first division!!

Cov were third from bottom!

Anyone else any memories?

I remember most of them.

Bobbie Roberts was a left half / inside right as they were then.

You said you wished we had quality players like that now.

I think I am correct in thinking that was the year we lost the FA Cup to Man City and were relegated.

However, at least we made the final...

And some of those on the list were quality, or soon became quality players.

Happy Days :thumbup:

Ah lad, it were a good season were that...even if the daft buggers got caught up in a fixture pile up at the end of season and ran out of steam at Wembley.

Cup semi vs West Brom was a classic. The run in was also a classic......knee deep in mud and water as I recall. Cried me eyes out at Wembley when we lost.

As I remember, some of the songs of that season were:

"He's here, he's there, he's even combed his hair, Rodney Fern, Rodney Fern"

"Ali Brown and his goal machine, everybody's gonna see a sensation, viva Ali Brown, viva Ali Brown, viva!"

We've got Lenny, Lenny Glover on the wing...."

"Come on without, come on within, you've not seen nothing like the Mighty String"

"Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel, that is the name of that bastard Cantwell"

"Alan Clarke, you are a lazy bastard, always playing for a move, never playing for the team"

Er, actually one of those is made up........

Just found an old programme from 1968/69 season. (City v Coventry.)

If only we had some quality players like this.

Peter Shilton

Peter Rodrigues

David Nish

Alan Woollett

Bobby Roberts ( Can't remember him)!

John Sjoberg

Graham Cross

Malcolm Manley

Len Glover

Allan Clarke

Andy Lochhead

Rodney Fern

David Gibson

Mike Stringfellow.

Manager Frank O'Farrell

April 1st 1969, we were 2nd from bottom of the first division!!

Cov were third from bottom!

Anyone else any memories?

There's 14 players there and a good many of them played for us at the top of the First Division, helped us to four cup finals and enabled us to see off some of the top sides in the land.

Despite winning the League Cup and finishing runners-up, plus reaching three FA Cup Finals, the great 60's team had peaked as a League force by then and was about to break up. But I still don't think more than two, perhaps three of our current players would have got into that squad.

Bobby Roberts had a decent reputation and came with an enthusiastic style but was never as good as his outstanding predecessors Frank McLintock and Colin Appleton. He was game enough but just didn't have the bite or the ability to stamp the same authority on games.

Alan Woollett was another who struggled to match the accomplishments of the best half-back line we ever had of McLintock, King and Appleton but he did have one particular quality which served him well at Leicester - he was a brilliant man-to-man marker.

He stuck like superglue to opponents and was often used for that singular purpose - marking some of the great players of the day out of games completely.

Even so eight of those players were outstanding City stalwarts: Shilton, Rodriques, Sjoberg, Cross, Glover, Lochhead, Gibson and Stringfellow.

I wouldn't include Allan Clarke who, although good enough to play for England as a striker, and a record buy for the time of £165,000 if memory serves, was never a favourite here with his languid rather less-than-committed style and some believed it was his arrival coincided with the best era of city's history coming to an end.

Archived