Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Squad Complete?

Link

Martin Allen was relieved after Leicester had swept aside previously-unbeaten Watford to record their first Championship win of the season with a 4-1 victory at the Walkers Stadium.

An Iain Hume strike gave City a half-time lead and after the interval DJ Campbell, Alan Sheehan and Mark De Vries were all on target to put the home side four goals up before Marlon King scored Watford's consolation goal from the penalty spot in time added on.

Allen said: "It's good to get a win, but it's only three points. It's great for the players and great for the supporters.

"I'm really pleased for the players because they also work so hard."

Allen said the arrival of Iran international Hossein Kaebi, who received international clearance on Thursday and made his Leicester debut as a second-half substitute, meant his squad was now complete.

He said: "We've now got a good, big squad of players and each and every one of them now knows they have to earn their place in the team and no one has a divine right to play."

The City boss also had harsh words for referee Anthony Taylor after a game often punctuated by yellow cards and off-the-ball incidents.

He said: "I thought the referee was distinctly average. I couldn't understand some of his decisions, I couldn't get my head round them."

Watford manager Adrian Boothroyd said Watford had something to learn from their heavy defeat.

He said: "This could prove to be our best result of the season. We earned a reputation in our first two games and perhaps turned up thinking everyone was afraid of us. But as Leicester have shown, they were not afraid and we got the boot up the backside our performance deserves.

"I thought we started the game really well, but you have to score goals in your dominant periods and make sure you don't give away silly goals, we didn't because their first goal was a superb strike."

After a slow start City scored on 15 minutes when Campbell flicked the ball on to Hume, who let fly from 25 yards with a shot that cannoned from the underside of the bar into the net.

The second came on 51 minutes when a half cleared Stephen Clemence free kick fell to Campbell, who guided the ball home from close range.

The home side were three goals up on 54 minutes when Clemence touched a free kick to Sheehan, whose deflected shot left the wrong-footed Mart Poom with no chance.

A fourth followed on 86 minutes when De Vries held off a defender and beat Poom with a curling shot from a tight angle seven yards out.

City could have had more, striking the woodwork twice in the second half, but it was Watford who had the last say when King scored from the penalty spot in time added on after James Chambers was ruled to have fouled King inside the area.

No we need more depth

Gk looks good

Defence we need to get Clarke in full time if he continues this form

Mid needs to be more creative and better on the left

Strikers erm maybe a better target man!

The question is though does Allen agree by the sounds of it NO!

Intriguing. I was convinced we needed someone in after the Palace game but it's hard to argue with the performance yesterday. The only change in team selection was the bold use of Hume on the right. Simply a far more dynamic and lively player than Newton and the whole midfield buzzed with energy. But it doesn't sound like he wants to play him there long-term. Be interesting to see whether he fancies Chambers or Kaebi on the right side. I guess it will be Kaebi.

It's certainly a nice vote of confidence in players like Sheehan, Wesolowski and de Vries.

Not a direct quote though is it.

I'd still expect one or two more players to turn up this week. Definitely someone who can play wide left as I'm far from convinced that Sheehan will be our left winger all season, not saying he couldn't be our left back though. I agree that the spine is looking complete.

Not a direct quote though is it.

I'd still expect one or two more players to turn up this week. Definitely someone who can play wide left as I'm far from convinced that Sheehan will be our left winger all season, not saying he couldn't be our left back though. I agree that the spine is looking complete.

Between Sheehan's performance yesterday, Porter's performance in the second half at Palace, Hayes when he came on against Blackpool and the videos he'll have seen of Mattock at the back end of last season, maybe Allen is revising his opinion of our left side.

I thought Sheehan's big game was Palace and he blew it. Thankfully Allen gave him another chance and he took it. Now he needs to keep it up. I certainly far prefer him on the left wing and the more he plays there the more he will get used to the positioning side of things - still very naive yesterday in that respect and only really got rave reviews because of the fortunate goal and the way the game opened up in the second half meaning he was afforded time and space to shoot from distance. This is not intended as a criticism - I hope he gets a chance there on a consistent basis in order to learn the position properly.

There is no quote from MA saying his squad is complete. He just says that we have a big squad. Poor journalism yet again.

I'm sure you're right and there are no " " but the sentence does start with Allen said..........

Allens post match conference on radio Leicester was the same as the manager speaks bit on the website and if you watch the conference on world when asked the question are you looking to bring anymore players in he says maybe we're working on bits and pieces and it's a jigsaw puzzle and you have to fit in bits and pieces and some areas we are overloaded and there are some areas where we are short and need improving.

so to conclude sporting life made it up.

Like I said regarding Danny Murphy (oddly enough in the Ferreira thread...), I don't think we need him. The only position I would consider it necessary to shore up is left midfield. Otherwise I think MM should put his pennies away and we'll have a look at what we need in January.

Like I said regarding Danny Murphy (oddly enough in the Ferreira thread...), I don't think we need him. The only position I would consider it necessary to shore up is left midfield. Otherwise I think MM should put his pennies away and we'll have a look at what we need in January.

Don't know how you could ever turn down a player with quality like Murphy! He can even play on the left quite comfortably! Who would you rather have, Sheehan there or Danny 'fooking' Murphy?!!? I wouldn't worry about the money issue, if we get promoted then it will be like spending pennies now compared to what we will get for going up!!!!! Plus MM isnt getting any younger, you can't take it with you!!!! Get MURPHY IN!!!!

Don't know how you could ever turn down a player with quality like Murphy! He can even play on the left quite comfortably! Who would you rather have, Sheehan there or Danny 'fooking' Murphy?!!? I wouldn't worry about the money issue, if we get promoted then it will be like spending pennies now compared to what we will get for going up!!!!! Plus MM isnt getting any younger, you can't take it with you!!!! Get MURPHY IN!!!!

I said necessary, I never said I didn't want him. I don't think we necessarily need Danny Murphy in the way we need a left winger, and personally considering the amount we have spent already I'd be inclined to leave it til January now, if not next season. If we spend a lot now and realise we have massive shortfalls, we may well end up gimped in what we can get in.

I said necessary, I never said I didn't want him. I don't think we necessarily need Danny Murphy in the way we need a left winger, and personally considering the amount we have spent already I'd be inclined to leave it til January now, if not next season. If we spend a lot now and realise we have massive shortfalls, we may well end up gimped in what we can get in.

I'm sorry I just can't agree with that. Danny Murphy would be one of the best Midfielders, if not the best in the Championship. the guy ouses class! ANd if there is even a sniff at us signing him which I never thought possible as he is a Prem player, then we should take it, even if it does cost 1.5million! WHat's the point waiting till Jan or next Summer, he could move to someone like Wolves or WBA by then. Managers should always be looking for the best players that can improve us and I truely believe with a midfield of Kaebi---Weso---Clemence---Murphy, then we would have a cracking midfield!! I am still dubious whether we could land him or anyone in the Championship for that matter, but hey we should definately go after him if there's a chance.

Actually, I think we've got reasonably good levels of depth with the defense - Clarke, Sheehan and Mattock are all decent enough left-backs, in Kaebi and Chambers we've got two great right backs for this level and Kisnorbo, N'Gotty and McAuley are all good centrebacks. Plus of course, there's extra depth with the likes of Stearman and so on. The left-wing is still a bit "interesting" in that we've got a lot of players who seem like excellent backup there but no real stand-outs, but other than that we do have a large and good quality squad, I'd say.

Archived