Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Best Band/Artist In The Last 20 Years?

In my opinion PEARL JAM standalone:-

8 Studio albums to have a debut like TEN and then over a decade later produce RIOT ACT is amazing. Songs that mean something instead of throwaway rubbish, brilliant musicians, Mike McCready is up their with the greatest guitar players of all time, stone gossards amazing riffs, and Eddies amazing voice and lyrics. Live they are hard to beat just superb. Fighting ticketmaster and doing what they can to keep concert ticket prices down, at their height they withdrew and stopped making videos and press and let the music do the taking. Almost 18 years and still going strong.

Other groups considered would be:-

OASIS - in my opinion to plagaristic and only 2 good albums

RADIOHEAD - Not a big fan but definately have great lyrics

STONE ROSES - Only a couple of albums, cant be considered

NIRVANA- Definately up there but only lasted 3 years

REM - I do like stipes songwriting but last dedade not heard much.

ARCTIC MONKEYS - Two great albums..too early to say

PIXIES - DOOLITTLE was great but what else?

I'm sure there's more?

Well i would personally say The Stone Roses, but as you say only 2 studio albums, 1 unbelievably good one and 1 shite one. So i would say it has to be Radiohead, 7 studio albums and every album is in a different league to other things out there (even the worst albums out of the 7 are good) consistently amazing and they are STILL good! Unlike Oasis. Others i would consider.....Blur, R.E.M, Primal Scream. Also I reckon in a few years Arcade Fire will be recognized as a truly great band.

I'd probably have to go for REM. They're one of the VERY few acts I'd pay stadium prices to see.

The Stone Roses were one-album wonders, as were Nirvana. Oasis have been in decline since their first album and Arctic Monkeys have yet to prove they have the staying power.

Even the mighty Moz has been distinctly hit and miss during his solo career.. :o

I'd probably have to go for REM. They're one of the VERY few acts I'd pay stadium prices to see.

The Stone Roses were one-album wonders, as were Nirvana. Oasis have been in decline since their first album and Arctic Monkeys have yet to prove they have the staying power.

Even the mighty Moz has been distinctly hit and miss during his solo career.. :o

Well not really, remember they only made 2, it's not like Oasis where they made loads and only one was good. Plus The Roses have tonnes of B sides and other songs that never made it onto a studio album that are as good if not better than some of the songs on the first album. For example, Mersey Paradise, Sally Cinnamon, Elephant Stone, The Hardest Thing In The World, Fools Gold, Where Angels Play etc etc ALL CLASSIC ROSES SONGS (some would argue their best), and none are on the 2 studio albums. So i think saying they were "one album wonders" is wrong.

For me The Arctic Monkeys :wub: but going back a bit, possibly Oasis :thumbsup:

blur were probably the last 'great' band...

U2 are crap, IMO, but even their 'influential' stuff is too old for this campaign.

...dunno, 'best' implies individual taste, and as for most successful.... um, robbie and kylie?

In my opinion PEARL JAM standalone:-

8 Studio albums to have a debut like TEN and then over a decade later produce RIOT ACT is amazing. Songs that mean something instead of throwaway rubbish, brilliant musicians, Mike McCready is up their with the greatest guitar players of all time, stone gossards amazing riffs, and Eddies amazing voice and lyrics. Live they are hard to beat just superb. Fighting ticketmaster and doing what they can to keep concert ticket prices down, at their height they withdrew and stopped making videos and press and let the music do the taking. Almost 18 years and still going strong.

Other groups considered would be:-

OASIS - in my opinion to plagaristic and only 2 good albums

RADIOHEAD - Not a big fan but definately have great lyrics

STONE ROSES - Only a couple of albums, cant be considered

NIRVANA- Definately up there but only lasted 3 years

REM - I do like stipes songwriting but last dedade not heard much.

ARCTIC MONKEYS - Two great albums..too early to say

PIXIES - DOOLITTLE was great but what else?

I'm sure there's more?

BEST band easily - totally awesome live!

Bossanova mostly.

Yeah, and Surfer Rosa, which imho was their best album, before they went "commercial" :whistle: That said even Trompe Le Monde was good as was the B-sides and Radio Sessions albums.

blur were probably the last 'great' band...

U2 are crap, IMO, but even their 'influential' stuff is too old for this campaign.

...dunno, 'best' implies individual taste, and as for most successful.... um, robbie and kylie?

Westlife and Madonna have got to be up there.

Madonna at least deserves credit for sticking around for over 20 years..

Again (unsurprisingly), I'd go for Tool. But they don't seem to be people's cup of tea on here. They do stand out musically and lyrically and are held in the highest regard by fellow artists. And with each album release they keep improving and setting the standard for all other similar bands.

• 1 month later...

Archived