Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FilboFox

Football Manager Live

As some of you may know, I was selected by the SEGA team to be one of the testers for the Football Manager Live played across the internet with other people at any point during the day. I have been playing it for a while now and I just wanted to share the experience with you Football Manager fans out there that are missing out until its full release and let you see what you will be in store for!

Setup - One major thing which I found very useful is at the start you get a setup aid to see you through the early stages in making a team and finding a federation to play in. This is VERY clear and easy to use and once you have run through it, which isn't hard or time consuming, you are basically ready to play you're first match after having sorted your tactics! ;)

Players - You play with real players in the game and it works by starting out taking players that aren't at a club on a provisional contract of 24 hours. There are some very good players out there that haven't been snapped up which surprised me. Once you have a squad you are happy with on provisional contracts, you just confirm the team and you end up with a squad that you keep for a full season unless you re-new the contracts.

Federations - This is quite a nicely thought out part of the game. Once you have your team set up, you need to choose a Federation to play in and they are broken down into when the games are played. One Federation is 'Weekend Football Association' and another is 'Daytime Football Association' and as you can guess, the matches are played at the times stated in the title of the Federation. There are several different ones to suite when you can get on and play the games against other teams.

Leagues - Once in a Federation, you need not worry about making sure you are in a league. The Federation manager will automatically place you into a league... at least that is what I have been told... and then you will play your games at the times allocated. Each season lasts 3 weeks which may seem like a short period of time to be playing a WHOLE season in but I guess its all about trying to get the games played efficiently and quickly. It may be longer in the actual version but I'm not sure yet. Another great thing is that you can enter various cups to win prize money for your team which is needed to strengthen your squad.

Match Play - This is impressive... its very similar to Football Manager as you see the key moments of the match. The players move around on the pitch and you make decisions as the match is being played unless you use your one time-out that you have when you need more time to think about things. There is also a live chat on the right hand side where you can talk to the opposite manager... although ABUSE IS NOT TOLERATED! lol

Finances - You HAVE to keep tight control over money in this game... if you don't and go into debt, more fool you! You will go into administration and then receivership... you may even become bankrupt! As for buying players, you need to contact the other managers as you would in Football Manager but when getting the players, from what I gather so far, you pay an acquisition fee which is the cost of the player.

Layout - This is another thing which is very similar to Football Manager and here are a few screenshots to show you what I mean...

picture1lh4.pngpicture2hm5.pngpicture3de3.pngpicture4zm8.pngpicture5wn4.pngpicture6gr6.png

Let me know if you have any questions about the game... all I can say so far is that it is a QUALITY online version of Football Manager and you will all LOVE it once it is released!

will we have to pay for it when it is released?

What happens if you miss your game?

thanks

I'm not sure about the payment but I think you might have to yeah... its a shame as if it was free it'd be a great online game.

As for if you miss a match, the computer assistant will select your team for you and the match will go ahead as scheduled... its as if the assistant at your club was standing in for you... not something you want to do too often though as if the computer has to play 40% of more of your matches, things will start going badly for your club and results will go against you. Not that I know from experience... we've been warned thats what will happen.

Finances - You HAVE to keep tight control over money in this game... if you don't and go into debt, more fool you! You will go into administration and then receivership... you may even become bankrupt! As for buying players, you need to contact the other managers as you would in Football Manager but when getting the players, from what I gather so far, you pay an acquisition fee which is the cost of the player.

Let me know if you have any questions about the game... all I can say so far is that it is a QUALITY online version of Football Manager and you will all LOVE it once it is released!

Can you go into more detail of the finances part please?

You say just the acquisition fee for the player. Does that mean if you can match the price you get him?! The other manager doesn't have the option to reject the offer? Can you not negotiate with him - it's just one set fee?

Also, can you get sacked? If you do get sacked, what happens? Is it possible to resign and apply for the managers job at another club? Real clubs or do you make your own team (name an' all)

Cheers

Can you go into more detail of the finances part please?

You say just the acquisition fee for the player. Does that mean if you can match the price you get him?! The other manager doesn't have the option to reject the offer? Can you not negotiate with him - it's just one set fee?

Also, can you get sacked? If you do get sacked, what happens? Is it possible to resign and apply for the managers job at another club? Real clubs or do you make your own team (name an' all)

Cheers

When buying a player, you normally go to the auction market where you can bid from as low as £1 upwards against other managers BUT you can also pay an instant buy fee if you think that it's worth it. Other than paying the instant buy fee, which sometimes is worth it, you bid against other managers for the player.

Aside from that, could can bid for a player directly from a club and then it'll either be accepted or rejected... could be negotiated as well... in this way, its very much like Football Manager.

As for getting sacked, I don't know... I'm not sure you can get sacked as it's your team. But your club could go out of business if your finances are poor... also, you do make your own club with its own name... the only thing that isn't fake are the players. They remain real life players and they play for you in your own made up stadium and club. You choose your own kit as well...

Can you get promoted / relegated?

Can you arrange friendlies?

You say that you bid for players - what about coaches??

Are all players stats viewable or just those unattached / your own players?

Can you scout other players?

So you play with real players? Surely then they will have to duplicate the players eventully and you could end up with two Gary Nevilles in the same game world??!

I am guessing that each federation will have the own sets of players? So there will be a Michael Owen in federation 1, a duplicate in federation 2 etc.

Can you get promoted / relegated?

Can you arrange friendlies?

You say that you bid for players - what about coaches??

Are all players stats viewable or just those unattached / your own players?

Can you scout other players?

I am guessing that each federation will have the own sets of players? So there will be a Michael Owen in federation 1, a duplicate in federation 2 etc.

high standard of coaches are very important. especially for away games.... Players find the ones with the furry seats the most comfy..

So you play with real players? Surely then they will have to duplicate the players eventully and you could end up with two Gary Nevilles in the same game world??!

No... there are different worlds you start up in... the one I'm in is called Nutmeg but there are others... they wouldn't duplicate players, they'd set up a new world.

1. Can you get promoted / relegated?

2. Can you arrange friendlies?

3. You say that you bid for players - what about coaches??

4. Are all players stats viewable or just those unattached / your own players?

5. Can you scout other players?

1. Depending on what league you are in, yes you could get promoted or relegated.

2. Yes. As many and as often as you like... all you do is challenge another real manager and if they accept, you go straight to the match. You could end up playing hundreds of matches a day if you felt like it...

3. Coaches don't feature in this at all... you are the only one that deals with the team as far as I'm aware so far but I need to explore that more... will get back to you.

4. All player stats are viewable.

5. You can scout other players but only through the normal system where you customise the search like in FM.

Hope that helps... :)

Will Raimond Van Der Gouw feature?

He was a character.

Erm... is he a coach or a player... if he's a coach then no... if he's a player then probably.

Whats it like performance wise? What kind of computer will I need?

It's very good... you shouldn't need to have too much in terms of graphics cards or anything fancy, just an up to date computer that isn't too old. One thing I will say though is that you need to have a good internet connection as its important during match play as otherwise it'll be jumpy and stop start all the time...

Auctions are great... I signed Dorsin (SWE) for £35 in an auction! :D

What made it such a capture for me is that he was one of the centre backs I had in my Swedish squad that won the World Cup and European Championships when I was manager on FM! :D

I read that it would be payed for monthly and the game itself take up so little space it can be put onto a memory stick

Yep... not much space taken up at all by the game... very small indeed! :D

How much money you start with?

£500,000 and you then need to spend the money on acquisition fees of players you bring in... so it's not going to be you diving in and buying loads of quality to start with...

can we hear your team then???????

Ouch... I'll post a team up later as I need to go to bed now... lol

I read that it would be payed for monthly and the game itself take up so little space it can be put onto a memory stick

about £80 a year!!! or £20 a quarter is what I was told at play.com live which I wouldn't pay for any game to be honest

Just a thought,will the players be from all the leagues i.e all nations or will theyjust be from a select few?

From what I can tell so far, its hundreds of thousands of players from all over the world... as extensive as FM08 I would think by looking at the players in the game.

Archived