Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Huddersfield Post-Match Thread

yep thanks for having a go today, your fans superb except for a couple of idiots outside the ground, who have prob got a football banning order now for smacking an inocent city fan who was just walking from the game minding his own business...not even expecting a smack in the gob which knocked him out.

99% of your fans were top class....you have a decent team that needs a few tweakes...2 quality goals...but our fitness told in the end as you weakened in the 2nd half...good luck for the rest of the season

Just surfaced after being in a coma for hours. Great day yesterday! I told you our fans can sing!

On the whole I thought we pretty played well, particularly in the first half and early in the second, scored two decent goals but as soon as you leveled for the second time I could see what was coming. You're top of the league and on that evidence you totally deserve to be. Other teams would have been swept aside but you managed to keep in it and wait your turn. Clearly, we need two out and out goal scorers to finish teams off and if I may say so, you need some defenders before you go up to the Championship. Great atmosphere, great fans and a wonderful stadium, if only every game could be like that! Oh... it will and I've a feeling it will be sooner rather than later.

Regards, great banter and good luck next season!

Acetipper (HTFC)

That was a really good game, possibly the best this season in terms of the opposition playing well too (Orient away I'd compare it with). I'd be annoyed as a Huddersfield fan to see my team score two superb goals only to concede four fairly scrappy goals from set pieces.

Their fans were excellent and you can't blame them for shutting up a bit once the tide began to turn. Very loud and a good array of songs. Have really enjoyed both games with them this season and it's harsh that they ended up losing to us twice.

Having said all that, I was beyond impressed with our drive in the second half. Berner and Oakley in particular really grabbed the game by the scruff of its neck and piled forward to make sure we had the chances to come back and win. Although they were all set pieces, that was because we had them on the back foot.

Don't agree that Cleverley was much cop at right-back. First 10 or 15 minutes of the second half he was terrible. I've seen enough nice touches to demonstrate that he can do it but he needs to try and keep it more simple. Missed Davies and we won't be quite as good without him, that's something that we'll all have to learn to deal with. Howard was excellent yet again.

Thought Huddersfield looked quite dangerous with some quick, functional attacking players. However, didn't like their gamesmanship - their players were rolling around on the floor whenever one of ours went near them. They were also quite a dirty, Millwallesque side, and relied too much on the hoof with their attackers picking up loose balls. Their defence was absolutely shocking too.

Agree with that completely. The ref was getting pressured by the play-acting visitors at every turn and they were constantly niggling off the ball. Number 11 should have been sent off for one such incident and the referee should also have clamped down on some blatant time-wasting.

Clearly it was all perfectly acceptable to the Huddersfield manager but I thought it a disgrace, particularly first half-hour.

Only low-life's roll around and try to get people booked or sent off. If I were a manager and a player of mine did that I'd have him off the field in no time. We talk about refereees setting standards but it's time managers and players stood for certain standards too.

Really enjoyed seeing us come from behind twice to eventually dominate a decent side.

Two points that I'd like to add that i can't see anywhere else ....

I spoke to a Saints fan this week that said that NP improved the squad fitness very quickly and that was a big factor in their turnaround under him - i thought yesterday was a great example of that fitness - we seemed to get stronger as they wilted ...

Second - Martin kept us in it with a world class save going to his top right corner from a great strike that deserved a goal - I thought he looked a very good keeper today all round.

Best performance of the season?

I wouldnt say that.

I thought the first half we were poor and credit to Huddersfield i thought they played some good football. Thought we just shaded it in the second half though. Just goes to show that even when we arent at out best we can still get positive results and thats the sign of a Championship winning team. Bring on Brighton! :D

Agree with that completely. The ref was getting pressured by the play-acting visitors at every turn and they were constantly niggling off the ball. Number 11 should have been sent off for one such incident and the referee should also have clamped down on some blatant time-wasting.

Clearly it was all perfectly acceptable to the Huddersfield manager but I thought it a disgrace, particularly first half-hour.

Only low-life's roll around and try to get people booked or sent off. If I were a manager and a player of mine did that I'd have him off the field in no time. We talk about refereees setting standards but it's time managers and players stood for certain standards too.

Of course you won't have seen Howard elbowing his way into the game then? He was a disgrace too? NO?...Please your biased self then!

AceT :rolleyes:

Of course you won't have seen Howard elbowing his way into the game then? He was a disgrace too? NO?...Please your biased self then!

I'm not talking about the rough and tumble of on-the-ball clashes between determined players, I'm talking about calculated off-the-ball incidents and calculated efforts to get people booked/sent off by players rolling around dramatically when they'd not been or barely been touched.

You make excuses for your players by all means but I wouldn't make excuses for any of our players doing that. It was a pity too. Almost everyone on here agrees that you had a bloody good side who came to compete and to play some football. There was no need for the other shit.

I don't claim that Howard is a fairy. He fights his corner with the best. But I cannot ever remember him either yesterday or at other times, rolling around or charging after referees trying to get people booked or sent off. He just appeals if he thinks he's got a chance of a free-kick, states his case to the ref on occasions but otherwise gets on with it.

I'm not talking about the rough and tumble of on-the-ball clashes between determined players, I'm talking about calculated off-the-ball incidents and calculated efforts to get people booked/sent off by players rolling aroudn dramatically when they'd not been or barely been touched.

You make excuses for your players by all means but I wouldn't make excuses for any of our players doing that. It was a pity too. Almost everyone on here agrees that you had a bloody good side who came to compete and to play some football. There was no need for the other shit.

Fair do's! I won't make excuses, you're probably right! But I didn't see the stuff you saw, that's all.

I still feel Howard got away with murder in the first half AND it was deliberate! Sorry but it was!

Thoroughly enjoyed the game.

Thought Huddersfield were the best side we have played at home this season.

Like many I felt that first half we were overwhelmed a little.

What a turnaround in the second half though.

NP obviously said and did the right things at half time.

Full credit to him and the team.

We did miss Davies, pity we won't be buying him.

The Tunche's prescence was also missed.

Still if we continue to perform as we did in the second half for the rest of the season, then I have no doubt Championship here we come.

Roll on Tuesday.

:scarf:

Fair do's! I won't make excuses, you're probably right! But I didn't see the stuff you saw, that's all.

I still feel Howard got away with murder in the first half AND it was deliberate! Sorry but it was!

the 2 free kicks at the start of the second half to start with they were right in my line of vision little or should I say no contact resulting in maximum rolling about!! one player was "fouled" rolling around got up in agony limping around and before the free kick was even taken sprinted like Usain Bolt to try and get into space.

twice in the first half it seemed as if you're game plan was when we started to break was to take out whoever was making the break on the half way line.

you're number 11 Jim goodwin behaved like a total bellend running around berating the ref at every opportunity I would be embarrassed if we had a player with that attitude, As for Howard the ref saw nothing wrong with one incident yet Goodwin decided to run half the pitch to have his say and try and get him booked yet he didn't speak to Howard and he did it again 2minutes later for a challenge when Howard was being pulled all over the place running from the centre circle screaming at the ref resulting in him being booked. I am convinced that Goodwin got him booked.

All this is a shame imo because you are the best side I have seen at the Walkers this season you had a real go at us and played some excellent football.

It was a shame that they decided to play in such a way. It seems that they and some other teams are being told to play that way against us. Both Millwall and Bristol Rovers were appaling for their blatant cheating. But it can come back to bite you, as happened with the injury time created by the BR players that gave us the opportunity to score twice.

you're number 11 Jim goodwin behaved like a total bellend running around berating the ref at every opportunity I would be embarrassed if we had a player with that attitude,

Howard, Palace away. Granted, the ref at Palace away was a complete moron, but even so.

I think nine wins will be enough. :thumbup:

Assuming we will draw 6 of our last 20 games then 6 wins should be enough.

And i can't see us losing 8 games of the last 20 anyway.

Lets face it promotion is in the bag now.

Theres just no way i can see us fooking this up.

We will need to lose at least 10 of our last 20 to fook this up and i just can't see it happening TBH.

Not our best performance at all, the score maybe flattered us, but I'll take the win. We took our chances when we had them, but questions marks over the first goal for Huddersfield. Fair enough, quality finish, but why were TWO players allowed free headers in our box? We were asking for trouble.

Nice to see the goals spread around, three defenders all chipping in and Fryatt getting a timely return to scoring form. An eighth straight home league win is very welcome, 35 points from 42 at home- fantastic stuff from Pearson and the players.

Nice to see the goals spread around, three defenders all chipping in and Fryatt getting a timely return to scoring form.

It makes for great reading:

Matt Fryatt -24

Andy King - 9

Lloyd Dyer - 8

Steve Howard - 7

Matt Oakley - 5

Paul Dickov - 2

Mark Davies - 2

Joe Mattock - 1

Jack Hobbs - 1

Bruno Berner - 1

Nicky Adams - 1

Michael Morrison - 1

Max-Alain Gradel - 1

Aleksandar Tunchev - 1

the beast that was the turgid, hoofing, head tennis football.

Sounds like both Palace games and a good chunk of the Yeovil match.

Still plenty of room for improvement. Keeping the ball on the floor would be a good start

For the first hour, we had trouble coping with the visitors' physical approach.

But they went to sleep at setpieces and we were ruthless enough to punish them. We also had a touch of luck with Fryatt's goal which another ref could easily have disallowed for handball.

Huddersfield showed touches of indiscipline and petulance at times, which resulted in a late red card and may cost them on the run-in.

I hope their manager gets a grip on that. The game at their place was a quality day out and I'd love to return there next season (especially if they're promoted at the expense of Leeds.. :D ).

Credit to the team and Oakley in particular for their spirit and attitude. It was far from a vintage display but this was the type of game where we'd have meekly surrendered in recent seasons.

In the end it was another banana skin safely avoided and three more points gained in pursuit of a league title which appears ours for the taking.

PS Interesting fact - our last twelve goals have been scored by twelve different players. I wonder how long it's been since that happened?

It makes for great reading:

Matt Fryatt -24

Andy King - 9

Lloyd Dyer - 8

Steve Howard - 7

Matt Oakley - 5

Paul Dickov - 2

Mark Davies - 2

Joe Mattock - 1

Jack Hobbs - 1

Bruno Berner - 1

Nicky Adams - 1

Michael Morrison - 1

Max-Alain Gradel - 1

Aleksandar Tunchev - 1

Berner has two actually and Davies has one.

The Carlisle away game seems a big stubling block here.

Now all the dust has settled after the match I'd just like to say well done and good luck to you for the rest of the season. I'm certain you'll go up as very worthy League One Champions in May.

Our immediate future will depend largely on how our three new signings fit in and whether we can sign a natural goal scorer who can also hold up the ball. Unfortunately Andy Booth's days are numbered now and he's struggling to recover from surgery but I'd give anything to wind the clock back ten years and have him back in his heyday! He’s just the kind of player we need right now.

We go to Yeovil Town tomorrow night, a place where we never do well. Since they came into the league we've played them at their place four times and lost all four. Also strangely we've never played them on a Saturday either. There's absolutely no chance of me going that kind of distance for night games, due to work commitments, so it'll have to be the radio for me.

Good luck against Brighton! Bet the atmosphere will be a bit different to Saturdays

Regards

AceT :scarf:

We go to Yeovil Town tomorrow night, a place where we never do well. Since they came into the league we've played them at their place four times and lost all four. Also strangely we've never played them on a Saturday either. There's absolutely no chance of me going that kind of distance for night games, due to work commitments, so it'll have to be the radio for me.

Psssst, Ace, we beat Yeovil 2-0 last season at their place on a saturday afternoon. I was there.

Cheers again Leicester fans, make sure you beat all the rest of the top 7 or 8 teams to make our job that little bit easier.

It was nice to see a visiting side come and have a go at playing football rather than sticking bodies in defence and midfield and looking for a cheeky counter against the run of play.

That said, when we do get the occasional opposition that want to play, we tend to be the better side. Not on Saturday though. Huddersfield have every right to feel hard done by with the final score that more than flattered us. Despite the post-match antics of some, their travelling support needs to be commended too. They made for one of the better atmospheres genertated at the crisp bowl this season.

Not our best performance but 3 points is 3 points.

Positives;

David Martin is continuing to convince me he is capabe of retaining his shirt. My confidence in him is growing with every match.

Defenders scoring.

Goals from set pieces.

Tom Cleverly. Despite a nervous start, he looked very capable, espacially when switching to the right back position in the 2nd half. An encouraging display given his lack of training time with the team. He could be a pivitol player for us in the run-in if Davies is off to Bolton.

Negatives;

Lloyd Dyer (again). Time for a spell on the bench.

Matt Oakley's wayward passing made another appearence on Saturday. Don't get me wrong, he continues to contribute a hell of lot to the game. With his age and experience, I expect more of a polished performance.

Archived