Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dan_84

Clemence? is he still with us?

From the Merc

Leicester City captain Stephen Clemence says it is unlikely he will feature this season.

Clemence has suffered a number of setbacks following two operations on a damaged ankle.

But he says the injury blow has been softened by City's impressive march to a dominant position at the top of the League One table.

Clemence has spoken for the first time about his year-long absence.

The 30-year-old former Birmingham skipper, who last played against S****horpe on March 29 last year, said: "I don't think I will see any action this season.

"I have had two operations and setbacks along the way, so I'm not going to set a target of getting back by the end of the campaign because I don't want to be disappointed.

"Anyone you speak to who has had a long-term injury will tell you the hardest thing is the mental side.

"I have learned from being out so long not to set myself targets for this season."

However, Clemence, who has made 33 appearance for City since joining from Birmingham for £100,000 in July 2007, is targeting a strong return in the summer.

He said: "I should definitely be back for pre-season because I should be back in training long before that.

"I'll do my running work in the close season when the rest of the lads are off.

"It is frustrating just to watch the matches and it has not been a very enjoyable experience.

"I don't go to away games, and it drives you mad sitting in front of the television and watching the results come through.

"It's not been a nice experience, but the main thing is that the lads are doing well.

"The club is a much happier and positive place to be around this year than it has been in the past.

"From a professional point of view, it is the most organised it has been since I arrived at the club.

"Everything is there in place and you can see from the results that it has helped the team.

"To have been beaten only twice so far this season is fantastic and, if we keep that up, we will be promoted and take the momentum into the Championship."

Another boost for Clemence's recovery is the decision taken by manager Nigel Pearson to retain him as club skipper, with Matt Oakley his official stand-in.

Clemence said: "It is a great honour being captain of this club. I just love being out on the pitch and leading the team.

"It didn't go well in my first season here, but the manager told me that I would stay as the club captain and that has been the end of it."

However, Clemence says he does feel the frustrations at being unable to feature in a training session under Pearson.

"I have not actually had a training session under the boss," he said.

"He has just seen me around the club.

"I do my best work on the pitch and the training ground, and leading the squad as captain, but I can't influence too much at the moment.

"Hopefully, I will get out with the lads before the end of the season.

"I can't wait for that and to take part in five-a-sides, and be part of it all again."

Why doesn't he go to away games? Isn't he supposed to be club captain?

I know for a fact he was at Walsall away. :)

But only because i seen him coming out of their ground, and he must obviously still live in Birmingham.

I think he strengthens our options next season. He looked alright under Allen and could look alright in a team with movement. Let's hope Pearson can get something out of him that justifies having had him on the books for the last year.

"It is frustrating just to watch the matches and it has not been a very enjoyable experience.

"I don't go to away games, and it drives you mad sitting in front of the television and watching the results come through.

not heard of a fuckin radio, steve?

Archived