Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

What are you listening to?

On 20/04/2020 at 13:46, swanlee said:

furloughed.....hah! Once upon a time woulda' been just a hazy teenage fantasyland.

'Peace Love & Recession 92"

Have that very record on shelf!

saw them live at Mosquito Coast back in the day…. I remember shouting ‘Oi - Julie Driscoll’ at them as they were piling into the back of a yellow transit after the gig…. Got a thumbs up in return 👍🏼!

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Have that very record on shelf!

saw them live at Mosquito Coast back in the day…. I remember shouting ‘Oi - Julie Driscoll’ at them as they were piling into the back of a yellow transit after the gig…. Got a thumbs up in return 👍🏼!

Blimey .... I was sitting yesterday listening to it wondering where they got the inspiration for that particular track from. So thanks .... I'd not heard the Julie Driscoll tune before.

And not a surprise  ....... it was the realisation that Acid Jazz was a complete rip off of tunes from the 60's & 70's that kinda' killed it for me. 

It was a strange little beast the Acid Jazz scene. A friendly & quirky vibe, but elbowing for space & attention with indie, madchester, house & rave .......

And while I loved this tune, really? A banging Acid Jazz anthem, regularly played at Mosie Coast. But why the obsession with the music and fashions of our childhood. It alll seems a little weird now and sadly kinda' sums the scene up .... sorry, nothing original here. 

PS I finally got round to Mother Earth at the Jazz Cafe in Camden. This was back in the noughties. I had a great night.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, swanlee said:

Blimey .... I was sitting yesterday listening to it wondering where they got the inspiration for that particular track from. So thanks .... I'd not heard the Julie Driscoll tune before.

And not a surprise  ....... it was the realisation that Acid Jazz was a complete rip off of tunes from the 60's & 70's that kinda' killed it for me. 

It was a strange little beast the Acid Jazz scene. A friendly & quirky vibe, but elbowing for space & attention with indie, madchester, house & rave .......

And while I loved this tune, really? A banging Acid Jazz anthem, regularly played at Mosie Coast. But why the obsession with the music and fashions of our childhood. It alll seems a little weird now and sadly kinda' sums the scene up .... sorry, nothing original here. 

PS I finally got round to Mother Earth at the Jazz Cafe in Camden. This was back in the noughties. I had a great night.

Ha…!  There was barely anything original about the acid jazz scene…. Didn’t stop me enjoying it…. They were basically a bunch of musicians who were good at ‘digging crates’…. Most classic hip hop can be accused of the same thing…

James Taylor was at the vanguard of that movement and that tune is a banger in any era…. Saw him at Hammersmith Apollo…. Everyone was sat patiently through the set waiting for them to do Starsky and Hutch!

What it did, for those so inclined, was to encourage  exploration a little more broadly…. Steps Ahead in the Malcolm arcade, Honest Johns portobello and another one (can’t remember the name?) in Camden...  The brilliant Mojo club compilations, many of the blue break beat compilations and some other wild and wonderful stuff…. Kicked off my obsession with buying records (I’m planning to dust off my record player shortly and bring it out of retirement)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr Marco said:

Kooks for some reason feels like a guilty pleasure to listen to but it’s actually a cracking album.  Matchbox Has got to be my favourite tune from inside in inside out.

Edited by Wolfboy
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Wolfox said:

James Taylor was at the vanguard of that movement and that tune is a banger in any era…. Saw him at Hammersmith Apollo…. Everyone was sat patiently through the set waiting for them to do Starsky and Hutch!

What it did, for those so inclined, was to encourage  exploration a little more broadly….

Certainly sent me on that trajectory .... jazz, funk, soul .... and this was before the days of youtube & downloads. You had to stand and flip racks through racks of CDs or vinyl, new or old, to find stuff.

And you know I might have been to see JTQ at Hammersmith Apollo .... I can't quite remember .... I did live just down the road from there for awhile and took in a few gigs ....  the bit about the audience anticipation waiting for Theme from Starsky & Hutch certainly rings some bells ... I'm guessing if i did i was just too pissed to remember .... :ph34r:

Edited by swanlee
  • Like 1

I had the below track on an OK compilation of new wave, post punk & industrial underground music that was supposed to be showcasing the use of early synths?

Bought 'un peu de l'ame des bandits' by aksak maboul, upon which the track originally featured, towards the end of last year. Really nice vinyl release with an excellent CD included, a download & a well presented booklet.

The music: crazy european shite that shouldn't work but somehow manages to hang together .... and does ..... sort of work ....... in a way .......

.... the definition of leftfield maybe?

• Like 1

On 24/04/2020 at 12:46, Wolfox said:

Maybe this should go in covers - this is such a great version of a Carpenters classic - love the tempo and spirit

damn you Apple Music for not having it to download - grrrhhh

Reminds me a lot of Koop. Active in the early noughties, I could have selected a number of their tracks that featured this vocalist.

Slightly speeded up, this one appears simply for the video. Saw them live back in the day and the mate I was with, who was not an acid jazz or nu-jazz fan, was entranced as soon as she walked on stage.:wub:

For those mildly obsessive types partial to a little low level cyber-stalking, her name is Yukimi Nagano and she is part of a swedish electropop outfit called Little Dragon.

@Wolfox Frack C Vinyl & CD available on Amazon. 

Edited by swanlee
typo
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, The Syrup said:

Lalo Schifrin made some cracking soundtracks in the 70s...

Loved all da' Dirty Harry soundtracks. Bullitt was also a favourite of mine. The music from films of the 70's influenced massively what i started listening to as I got older.

I remember this one as a stand-out. If bass lines could pull on a pair of pants and strut down the street, everyone would just get the feck' outta' the way .....

Great film too.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, swanlee said:

Reminds me a lot of Koop. Active in the early noughties, I could have selected a number of their tracks that featured this vocalist.

Slightly speeded up, this one appears simply for the video. Saw them live back in the day and the mate I was with, who was not an acid jazz or nu-jazz fan, was entranced as soon as she walked on stage.:wub:

For those mildly obsessive types partial to a little low lever cyber-stalking, her name is Yukimi Nagano and she is part of a swedish electropop outfit called Little Dragon.

@Wolfox Frack C Vinyl & CD available on Amazon. 

Blimey - I loooove little dragon…. My wife brought me tickets to see them at the Camden roundhouse a couple years back…. And I’ve seen them at Bluedot too She’s a total fox! And undeniably cool!

Little Dragons new album is out - worth checking out…

Mmmhhh just pondering a deck purchase…. Frank C on vinyl is tempting…. I have the track on CD but no means of currently playing it…!!!  It was on the fantastic Mood Mosaic group of complications - worth it just for the cover art!

A5920E26-6A30-4997-A192-A839B11E0FA9.jpeg

• Like 1