Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Four Supposed classics that I don't care if I never hear ever again

1. Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks

2. Whiter Shade of Pale - Procul Harum

3. Itchycoo Park - The Small Faces

4. I Am The Walrus - The Beatles

I was watching The One Show earlier, and there was footage of that boring bastard Ray Davies playing 'Waterloo Sunset' and then claiming that it's like a new song every time he plays it. I wish it seemed like that when I hear it, because whenever it comes on it sounds more like I've heard the sodding thing about 10,000 times. This got me thinking about other songs that are generally seen as significant or a so called 'classic', that I can't actually bloody stand, and came up with these. They're in no particular order - number 2 gets me particularly enraged.

Do you loathe I Am the Resurrection? Reach for the earplugs on hearing There She Goes? Reflect and plan a mass murder whenever 'The Times They are a Changin' comes on?

Get it off your chest here.

OMG

Waterloo sunset is possibly my favourite all time song, just a perfect pop song from start to finish.

No suprises of your dislike of the small faces lol. One of the best british bands of all time.

I guess your not into the 60's pop thing? Dance music is it?

Anyway I would add Wonderwall from Oasis one of their worst songs if you ask me, I agree with I am the Walrus though.

I agree with you about hearing something so many times though, maybe if you heard waterloo sunset for the first time you might like it, its hard not too.

Some of my fave songs from the past I am now sick of because I have played them so much.

OMG

Waterloo sunset is possibly my favourite all time song, just a perfect pop song from start to finish.

No suprises of your dislike of the small faces lol. One of the best british bands of all time.

I guess your not into the 60's pop thing? Dance music is it?

Anyway I would add Wonderwall from Oasis one of their worst songs if you ask me, I agree with I am the Walrus though.

I agree with you about hearing something so many times though, maybe if you heard waterloo sunset for the first time you might like it, its hard not too.

Some of my fave songs from the past I am now sick of because I have played them so much.

Au contraire, mon brave.

I love 'Victoria' by The Kinks, but Waterloo Sunset leaves me cold, as does Ray whenever he speaks.

I like plenty of 60s pop. You know how I feel about Hermans Hermits ;) Jefferson Airplane, The Byrds, Jimi Hendrix, and too many girl groups to name get played to death in Chateau Bellend.

I've never understood the appeal of Wonderwall either, it sounds to me like a turd pressed into the shape of a record. Oasis have got plenty of good tunes, so why that one is one of the most well known I haven't a clue

reminds me of a conversation I had with someone who was going on about some dance track it literally had no lyrics at all and he was saying what an amazing song it was, no its not, its not a song its something made on a computer with no soul, waterloo sunset on the other hand and many other kinks songs for that matter have influenced 100's of artists for 40 years and that track is considered one of the greatest songs ever written, its not something some 10 year old created with ome free software he downloaded off the internet.

I'm no dance fan hater, my first love in the mid 80's was house music, but music to me has to have soul how can you feel it if it has none.

Au contraire, mon brave.

I love 'Victoria' by The Kinks, but Waterloo Sunset leaves me cold, as does Ray whenever he speaks.

I like plenty of 60s pop. You know how I feel about Hermans Hermits ;) Jefferson Airplane, The Byrds, Jimi Hendrix, and too many girl groups to name get played to death in Chateau Bellend.

I've never understood the appeal of Wonderwall either, it sounds to me like a turd pressed into the shape of a record. Oasis have got plenty of good tunes, so why that one is one of the most well known I haven't a clue

Phew, I knew you had good taste really. :thumbup:

reminds me of a conversation I had with someone who was going on about some dance track it literally had no lyrics at all and he was saying what an amazing song it was, no its not, its not a song its something made on a computer with no soul, waterloo sunset on the other hand and many other kinks songs for that matter have influenced 100's of artists for 40 years and that track is considered one of the greatest songs ever written, its not something some 10 year old created with ome free software he downloaded off the internet.

I'm no dance fan hater, my first love in the mid 80's was house music, but music to me has to have soul how can you feel it if it has none.

Just cos some bloke wrote it on a guitar and came up with a load of waffle to sing over the top of it doesn't automatically mean it can have soul and dance music can't. Soul can mean anything to anyone. And writing off all instrumental dance music as having been created by a 10-year-old with some free software is a bit simplistic too.

Something like Rez by Underworld, a dance track with no lyrics, makes me feel far more emotion than any amount of half-arsed shite that Mojo or Uncut has deemed godlike.

Just cos some bloke wrote it on a guitar and came up with a load of waffle to sing over the top of it doesn't automatically mean it can have soul and dance music can't. Soul can mean anything to anyone. And writing off all instrumental dance music as having been created by a 10-year-old with some free software is a bit simplistic too.

Something like Rez by Underworld, a dance track with no lyrics, makes me feel far more emotion than any amount of half-arsed shite that Mojo or Uncut has deemed godlike.

That is a quality tune.

Definitely agree about Waterloo Sunset, Lady in Red and most Bon Jovi/Europe tracks.

I'm sure there are loads I could add but, off the top of my head:

Lay Lady Lay - Bob Dylan

Elvis... pretty much anything, tbh

Music - John Miles

Brown-eyed Girl - Van Morrison

Michelle & Help - The Beatles

Waterloo - Abba

I will always love you - Whitney Houston

Ramble on - Led Zeppelin

Wonderful tonight - Eric Clapton

Who are you - The Who

Radio Ga-ga - Queen

:nono:

Definitely agree about Waterloo Sunset, Lady in Red and most Bon Jovi/Europe tracks.

I'm sure there are loads I could add but, off the top of my head:

Lay Lady Lay - Bob Dylan

Elvis... pretty much anything, tbh

Music - John Miles

Brown-eyed Girl - Van Morrison

Michelle & Help - The Beatles

Waterloo - Abba

I will always love you - Whitney Houston

Ramble on - Led Zeppelin

Wonderful tonight - Eric Clapton

Who are you - The Who

Radio Ga-ga - Queen

:nono:

Oh Lordy, yes. And 'Tears in Heaven'. I know it's a very personal tune for him, but to me it sounds horrible.

I've just thought of another one: 'Unfinished Sympathy' by Massive Attack. Never liked that, it just drags on for what seems like hours

Bohemian Rhapsody and Come On Eileen were decent in their day, but have now both been played to death.

It was a bag of shite from the moment they wrote those lyrics down for the very first time. If that record was to spontaneously combust and was never heard again, it will be the happiest day of my life.

Should I stay or should I go - The clash

Love the band but sick of that song.

can I add rock the Casbah to that as well 2 of the worst songs in the entire Clash discography and the 2 that always get played

It was a bag of shite from the moment they wrote those lyrics down for the very first time. If that record was to spontaneously combust and was never heard again, it will be the happiest day of my life.

Agreed. That song has never been decent

Absolutely outrageous. I love guitar based music but I get so annoyed by those who think they've got the musical high ground just because their music is more traditional. I'm sure you're a discerning man of depth and insight but please don't write off entire genres of music because they're not rocky enough for you.

Calm down, ladies. This isn't meant to be about someone being right or wrong, the appreciation of any artform being completely subjective after all. It's simply about venting your spleen about a song that the world and his uncle seems to like but does your head in. It could be because you've heard it a million times, or you may have never liked it in the first place

Archived