Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

1700 Capacity Music Venue planned

Major pop and rock acts could be performing in Leicester again after plans were revealed to build a venue.

The redevelopment of the University of Leicester's students' union building will include a 1,700-capacity live music hall.

It will rival Nottingham's Rock City, which caters for a similar-sized audience and is the destination of choice for most of the biggest touring acts when they come to the East Midlands.

The £15m plan is the latest part of the university's £1bn project to redevelop its campus and will see the original Percy Gee union building completely redesigned.

A venue of this size has been missing from the city since De Montfort University's Arena – a favourite of the late DJ John Peel – closed in 2003.

TIN.adverts.adWriteDC('article-detail-impact-tile', '452x118'); 1x1.GIF The Charlotte, which put on gigs to a capacity audience of 400, closed in January.

Ambalavanar Kumaran, deputy chief executive of the Students' Union, said he hoped the new building would attract leading bands to the city and provide a centre for other events.

He said: "The music venue will make Leicester one of the primary locations for touring bands in the country and will be open to everyone in Leicester."

Music fans have welcomed the news that the city is to get larger music following the closure of the Charlotte.

Jon Young, 30, from Leicester's West End said: "This could put Leicester back on the map and might make bands feel they do not have to go to Nottingham all the time. If Kasabian can sell out De Montfort Hall three nights in a row, that shows that people here like music and a new venue would be well received."

Hannah Doyle, 25, from Queniborough, said: "Losing the Charlotte was a bitter blow for music in the city, so it's good to see money being put back into enticing the big names back here to play."

Chris Kettle, 31, from Syston, said: "All that is left in Leicester is De Montfort Hall, but it is too big for some bands. I think we do need a music venue, my only question would be is it the right place?

"I think we really ought to have it in the centre."

The building is the latest university development to be announced after the £32m David Wilson Library was opened by the Queen in December.

The students' union building, named after the university's first pro-chancellor and benefactor, Percy Gee, is one of the oldest on campus.

The venue, expected to open in September 2010, will increase the capacity for live performances at the university by 500.

The centrepiece of the building will be a central atrium and courtyard area providing a social space at the heart of the building. It will also include shops, cafes and advice centres.

Professor Helen Atkinson, chairman of the development project team, said: "Students everywhere are coming to university wanting more than just a degree.

"They are concerned about the whole lifestyle of being a student, from the particular bands that have gigged at the union right the way through to whether the university has FairTrade status. What is dubbed the student experience is in the higher education spotlight."

well, obviously this is a good thing...

sadly, i feel that like the theatre fiasco, it could have been much better.

firstly, you aren't getting annything new, this is just what is already in existence repackaged - yes, it will mean a 1700 capacity venue, but it also means the loss of a 1200 capacity venue, which will mean even fewer gigs from up and coming bands.

secondly, this sort of venue won't rival rock city, because of it's location, good on the uni for doing this, but a real forward thinking city would have converted the old cannon/ABC cinema in to the flagship venue in town - sadly, your glorious council decided that this fabulous building would be much better serving as a gap in between the ugliest buildings in leicester.

close, but no cigar, as far as i see it.

once again - welcome your new set of clothes, emperor.

well, obviously this is a good thing...

sadly, i feel that like the theatre fiasco, it could have been much better.

firstly, you aren't getting annything new, this is just what is already in existence repackaged - yes, it will mean a 1700 capacity venue, but it also means the loss of a 1200 capacity venue, which will mean even fewer gigs from up and coming bands.

secondly, this sort of venue won't rival rock city, because of it's location, good on the uni for doing this, but a real forward thinking city would have converted the old cannon/ABC cinema in to the flagship venue in town - sadly, your glorious council decided that this fabulous building would be much better serving as a gap in between the ugliest buildings in leicester.

close, but no cigar, as far as i see it.

once again - welcome your new set of clothes, emperor.

Once again, we have a nauseating spectacle of an expat thinking he knows more about a city than folk who still live there... :angry:

For the record, the ABC site was going to be used for a link road, but plans were scuppered when a landowner decided to try and hold the council to ransom.

There are plans for that area, which will be revealed in due course.

If the Uni's expansion plans mean more bands will play there, that should be welcomed and not disparaged.

Once again, we have a nauseating spectacle of an expat thinking he knows more about a city than folk who still live there... :angry:

For the record, the ABC site was going to be used for a link road, but plans were scuppered when a landowner decided to try and hold the council to ransom.

There are plans for that area, which will be revealed in due course.

If the Uni's expansion plans mean more bands will play there, that should be welcomed and not disparaged.

that's was my implication: link road = a space :rolleyes:

so, your happy to admit that the council approved the bulldozing of a great unique bulding simply to put in a link road (no less, a link road between a back street and a road that carries buses and taxis - must have been crucial that), even though every other building down that road would be a good candidate for demolishing, and that they bulldozed this building without having even secured the land required to complete the project?

in summary, the council pulled down a fabulous building for no reason whatsoever. brilliant.

and no doubt these new plans for the area will be the usual mess of shops thrown together at short notice with an inadequate budget.

ultra, it doesn't matter where i live, this a shambles of the highest order, following on from episode after episode--- and always with the cop outs and disclaimers to hand... why on earth do you think i left leicester, because i was sick to death of seeing it amateurishly demolished in front of my eyes and seeing cheap and tacky buildings established instead.

and as for the uni venue - i don't see how it will encourage significantly more bands, if any - in fact it could reduce the number of bands, certainly it widens the gap in venues from the remianing small venues (the shed,musician etc) to the uni and demontfort, from what i remember there used to be two or three rooms in the current venue, no doubt to facilitate the new size, this will be reduced to one...

a 1700 venue willl not cater for bands that can't quite or can barely fill the current venue, and there is no alternative venue - i don't see the uni putting on half empty shows. they might accept 800 in a 1200 venue, but they're not gonna book bands like that in a 1700 capacity venue

the point is, like the theatre, rather than having ANOTHER venue, it is just replacing like for (almost) like.

I'd love Leicester to have a proper arena sort of thing, but I'm happy about this too. DMH is okay, but it's not really that suited to music as much as Rock City et al. Hopefully this will be less of a shithole though. :D

Talks a lot of shit

Firstly, without seeing the plans for the venue you dont know if it can be reduced to a smaller capacity to suit up and coming bands. Something similar to what they used to have with the Victoria (?) Hall and the Pit downstairs.

Secondly, to convert the old cinema would have been a bad idea in my book. It would have been a large venue for starters and we already have one which could quite easily be a music venue next to the curve. Cant remember what its called but having been there the other week it would make a good venue for established bands. Now to me a better sized venue would have been what used to be called Starlight 2001 in Ley Circle which was an old theatre.

Thirdly, to say it is the wrong place is absolute crap. Its in the heart of students vill.

Firstly, without seeing the plans for the venue you dont know if it can be reduced to a smaller capacity to suit up and coming bands. Something similar to what they used to have with the Victoria (?) Hall and the Pit downstairs.

Secondly, to convert the old cinema would have been a bad idea in my book. It would have been a large venue for starters and we already have one which could quite easily be a music venue next to the curve. Cant remember what its called but having been there the other week it would make a good venue for established bands. Now to me a better sized venue would have been what used to be called Starlight 2001 in Ley Circle which was an old theatre.

Thirdly, to say it is the wrong place is absolute crap. Its in the heart of students vill.

Athena

Great news, this City needs a good music venue. It's bloody annoying when every single good band goes elsewhere because there isn't a quality venue to play at. Like the article says, if a band can sell out three nights in a row in Leicester then there's clear interest here.

Hang on a minute... capacity of 1700, that's no more than de mont is it?

Im 99.9% sure the capacity is already 2000 with all rooms open :dunno:

Not sure about the main room though im guessing thats what there expanding.

no i haven't seen the plans, i'm just making an observation based on the report, that the venue capacity is being increased - as such how is it crap to say we are not gaining a new venue, just getting a bigger venue at the expense of a smaller one :dunno: if people are happy with that, fair enough, but if it were me i'd prefer to keep the 1200 capacity venue and have an ADDITIONAL venue of 1700... what's wrong with hoping for improvements.

how is it crap to rue the fact that if the uni becomes a 1700 capacity venue, the bands that can't fill it but are too big for the shed etc,will not be able to play in leicester.

a bit of vision regarding the old ABC is all it would have took - part arts cinema (to replace the phoenix), part venue, it could have been awesome - unfortunately the council with their gimmicky 'cultural quarter' decided to convert a bus depot into a media centre instead.

in the heart of a student village the uni may be, but not everyone in leicester is a uni student, there aren't many pubs near by, if you want a drink in the west end before a gig, its a nightmare....

i am pleased leicester will get a larger venue, but at what cost?

In reality, we are having a 1200 capacity arena replace with one 500 bigger. The current venue at Leicester University is lucky to get 6 acts which sell out the place.

How can the Uni afford to pay for bigger and better bands if it already can't with it's earned money?

What Leicester needs is a designated music hall with room for 1000 which will support itself by having five nights a week being in use. The Leic Uni facility's sole intention will not be music.

unfortunately the council with their gimmicky 'cultural quarter' decided to convert a bus depot into a media centre instead.

I applaud the idea of the media centre but it's been poorly done. The design of the building is poor and again it expects to make money off flats and offices being situated within it.

I agree with you - the combination of a music venue may have worked well.

I question what the use of the old Phoenix building will be?

Didn't realise The Charlotte had closed.

Not for long James. They've got a new venue down the road from me off Frog Island. North Mills I believe it's called (not the venue!). Anyways, very good news for the city. I see quite a few faces from Leicester in Rock City.

Not for long James. They've got a new venue down the road from me off Frog Island. North Mills I believe it's called (not the venue!). Anyways, very good news for the city. I see quite a few faces from Leicester in Rock City.

Interesting. My brother's mate said he was having his 18th in 'The Old Mill'' off Frog Island. I didn't have a clue what he was on about.

I'll have a look down by the canal I understand.

Archived