Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Love Me Don't

I'm not a Beatles hater myself (I'm largely indifferent to a lot of their stuff, although some of it I do really enjoy) but I thought this was a good article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8246313.stm

I don't want to start a debate about the merits of the Fab Four (they sold a ton of records, evolved beyond all recognition in a relatively short space of time and with George Martin invented recording techniques and effects still used today, and have influenced a lot of artists since - I don't think anyone will dispute any of that), but I think this article highlights what a hard time you can get if your views aren't particularly controversial (for example, not liking a pop band) but happen to fall outside of what's considered to be the norm.

I know someone that despises the Beatles with a passion, and although I think he broadcasts it a bit too much just to wind people up, the reaction of other folk can be a bit extreme - an incredulous 'you can't think that' is a common response. You say it on the internet, and apparently you get death threats.

It's bonkers really. There's no right or wrong in this, just opinions

They were an amazing band that changed popular music so they're always going to be held in high asteem just as elvis is. It doesn't however exclude them from music fans not liking them. I have listened to every beatles albums and I would say I dislike 50% of the stuff, I always thought they released the best songs as singles, there are of course other great album tracks. No question they wrote some of the best songs of all time but they also wrote some rubbish, but I think the reason they are held in such high regard is what the did to change pop music.

I can't see what the problem is we all have different likes and dislikes different taste in everything. It only becomes a problem if you keep going on about your own preferences or try to change other peoples when they don't want to be changed.

If you don't like brussel sprouts and your mum/wife/girlfriend/dad/boyfriend keeps serving them up then you've got a problem, even then there is an answer - make your own dinner. :P

It's just opinions isn't it which everyone in the world are entitled too but personally and in my opinion I love the Beatles, they are my favourite band and they are for a fact the greatest band in the world ever.

To have 27 number ones is incredible.

To be as clever as they were is incredible.

John Lennon is my favourite, no doubt about it, he was a very strong character and is most probably the greatest singer-songwriter of all time. Just that, having watched all the films and programmes about the Beatles and seeing my hero John Lennon, it is quite sad the way that he died because of course if he wasn't in America he would most probably still be alive.

The partneship between himself Lennon and Paul McCartney is awesome and the best ever. No one will ever beat it. The music that they created and distributed to all the world was delightful and superb.

It's not just the number ones that were great though, most of the singles were too, the ones that didn't reach number one - the likes of A Day In The Life, Taxman and Here Comes The Sun (both written by George Harrison), Drive My Car and Strawberry Fields Forever. I could continue but I wan't to get to bed on Monday night.

I don't think that 50% of their stuff was rubbish as stated above. But I think when they went a bit Indian one or two then were abit poor - like that Indian one off of the Sgt. Peppers album.

It is about opinions, and people may 'hate' The Beatles, but for a fact they are the greatest band of all time and the songs they write and made were superb and magical.

All four of them, ecspecially the Lennon/McCartney partneship, were immense and incredible.

Just a shame that John Lennon and George Harrison are not with us anymore.

Never been able to get into them.

Find them boring to be honest.

Changed the face of pop music forever, created a new pop music sound, changed the way albums were recorded, inspired generations of new bands, but yeah boring, bet you love the jackson 5 though. :D

It's just opinions isn't it which everyone in the world are entitled too but personally and in my opinion I love the Beatles, they are my favourite band and they are for a fact the greatest band in the world ever.

Golden :lol:

They're ok, got some good songs. I think they were sorta a "you had to be there" kind of band, only truly great when placed in context. If they came on the scene now they probably wouldn't make as much of an impact, but that's probably stating the obvious.

The passing of the decades since their split has made them appear more iconic. Many kids who were around during the sixties actually preferred the Rolling Stones.

I wonder what the Sones' status would be now if THEY had split up at the start of the 70s..

I can't see what the problem is we all have different likes and dislikes different taste in everything. It only becomes a problem if you keep going on about your own preferences or try to change other peoples when they don't want to be changed.

If you don't like brussel sproats and your mum/wife/girlfriend/dad/boyfriend keeps serving them up then you've got a problem, even then there is an answer - make your own dinner. :P

This is spot on. I used to have so many disagreements with people, but it is all about opinion. If you like a certain type of music then so be it. I happen to love the Beatles, my Dad used to play some of their albums to me and it started from there, their music serves as a memory box for me now so it obviously means a lot.

It is just like Dylan, I read so many people blasting him and saying things about him and his listeners, I love the guy, I am not saying everything he done was great but the majority of his work I love and again it is all down to opinion.

It's kinda ignorant to make sweeping statements about the Beatles. The way I see it you can love one song and hate another. They don't have a single appeal. The music ranges from simple Vaudeville to crazy Psychedelic and all genres in between.

Saying you find them boring or that you're indifferent is like saying you don't like food or drink, there is no logic to it.

It's kinda ignorant to make sweeping statements about the Beatles. The way I see it you can love one song and hate another. They don't have a single appeal. The music ranges from simple Vaudeville to crazy Psychedelic and all genres in between.

Saying you find them boring or that you're indifferent is like saying you don't like food or drink, there is no logic to it.

Just because there's a lot of variety doesn't mean that you can't hate them all. There's a lot of variety in a box of Quality Street, but it's all chocolate and if you don't like that then you're buggered.

I am largely indifferent towards most of their work. I don't hate them, I'm just not that interested, never have been. The Beatles may have been enormously popular and sold a squillion billion records and influenced a whole list of artistes that have also sold a squillion records, but they are just one strand of many in the rich evolution of music. Current artistes will inevitably have been influenced by someone, and however large a shadow the Beatles cast, it's not inevitable that it was them

The passing of the decades since their split has made them appear more iconic. Many kids who were around during the sixties actually preferred the Rolling Stones.

I wonder what the Sones' status would be now if THEY had split up at the start of the 70s..

Not sure if thats true, maybe the appeal of the rolling stones was the 'rebel' side of them compared to the clean cut beatles, but middle class 'rebels' singing blues isnt my cup of tea I'd rather listen to robert Johnson, beatles created there own sound, superior by miles IMO.

Archived