Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
J.Lisemore

'Britain the worst place to live'

That was meant to be a tongue in cheek comment, I'm genuinely sorry it came out wrong. However, I will say that retirement age doesn't have to be a government mandated age. You are young and if you plan as early as you can, you can be the decider of your future.

Redundancy is a painful experience I hope you get a job soon

Ah right, I didnt realise. Yep, thats fair enough but knowing our government it wouldn't suprise me if we were made to work at 80 etc!

Well all I can say is based on what I know.

I've experienced living abroad and here now, and Belgium (where I lived for 15 years) is a far nicer place than here. Nicer people, nicer place, nicer atmosphere.

The UK isn't bad, no no no, but for me, there's too much wrong with it in comparison to Belgium.

You got to be kidding me right? I have also lived in Belgium (along with France, Greece and currently Germany) and i can honestly say that Belgium is one of the most pointless, dull and drab places to possibly spend your days...apart from the chocolate and the beer which is unbeatable :thumbup: ....there is nothing to the place in my experience. Was it James May that referred to Belgium as a land that would solely created as a place in which Britain and Germany could settle their differences :giggle:

Well all I can say is based on what I know.

I've experienced living abroad and here now, and Belgium (where I lived for 15 years) is a far nicer place than here. Nicer people, nicer place, nicer atmosphere.

The UK isn't bad, no no no, but for me, there's too much wrong with it in comparison to Belgium.

Belgium is full of graffiti, and not very good graffiti at that.

Hmm, disagree with a lot of that.

No lasting culture? What is culture? Food, traditions, arts, history?

If your saying England has none of that your a fool and that statement is nothing short of offensive.

Most people that would identify with being British would be the English (bar the Northern Irish). If we didn't have a culture, then the English wouldn't be as famous as it is. Most people around the world can identify the cultural landmarks and food and people of England, even if they use stereotypes.

Head to the countryside, then you might see some English culture.

We have pizza, curry and Maccy D's. I rest my case. :whistle:

I think living in England/the UK could be a blast if it weren't for a couple of letdowns from my perspective:

- Gas prices: How on earth you're coping with that without going berserk, I still don't know

- Football ticket prices: see gas prices

- Bus ticket prices: see gas prices

- Train ticket prices: see gas prices

- Public transport: Notoriously late (buses in particular; but then again, I'm spoiled over here when it comes to PT); in the bus category, I also noticed how poor some of the drivers are and then there's only one door up front to enter/exit (bit picky, I know)

- Traffic infrastructure & maintenance: the M1 is a regular mess and that's your major motorway... I see they're about to expand it to four lanes on each side now, though... About time.

Also, forget about accessing London by car.

- Littering: Although there will always be the odd person not thinking about the environment, the amount of rubbish carelessly thrown away in England takes the biscuit.

- Obesity: I just notice there's more overweight people around in the UK (but I guess that depends on where you live exactly - some areas may be "healthier")

I think living in England/the UK could be a blast if it weren't for a couple of letdowns from my perspective:

- Gas prices: How on earth you're coping with that without going berserk, I still don't know

- Football ticket prices: see gas prices

- Bus ticket prices: see gas prices

- Train ticket prices: see gas prices

- Public transport: Notoriously late (buses in particular; but then again, I'm spoiled over here when it comes to PT); in the bus category, I also noticed how poor some of the drivers are and then there's only one door up front to enter/exit (bit picky, I know)

- Traffic infrastructure & maintenance: the M1 is a regular mess and that's your major motorway... I see they're about to expand it to four lanes on each side now, though... About time.

Also, forget about accessing London by car.

- Littering: Although there will always be the odd person not thinking about the environment, the amount of rubbish carelessly thrown away in England takes the biscuit.

- Obesity: I just notice there's more overweight people around in the UK (but I guess that depends on where you live exactly - some areas may be "healthier")

I think on that people are about at breaking point but the general level of apathy over here stops people actually doing anything about it :D

Link

Nothing new i know.

Our country is a shambles, and as an 18 year old looking for work, am p*ssed off.

I dread to think what the retirement age will be when i get older...

If you think England is a bad place to live... move somewhere else really anywhere, you will soon realise the mistake you have made.

I have been to many places, with the exception of Austraila & maybe Holland, I really could not see living anywhere else at all.

If you think England is a bad place to live... move somewhere else really anywhere, you will soon realise the mistake you have made.

I have been to many places, with the exception of Austraila & maybe Holland, I really could not see living anywhere else at all.

Moved to the states in march and loving every minute.

Howver. Discussions like this are pretty pointless really as its all down to perspective and can perspective really be defined by ' facts'?

1 man might hate england because petrol prices are high and its full of chavs. The next person might live in braunstone, love his friends and not care about petrol prices as he doesn't drive.

The point being who is right ? Its all just perspective..

There should be a discussion about 'The Best Things about Britain' , I've also read some articles about what were regarded for. Good things include:

Football - The Prem and Championship, lower leagues etc

The Pub

Roast DInner

Tea

Shops

Curry - Basically our adopted National dish.

Fish and Chips

Skilled workers particularly Engineers, Medical persons

The list goes on ..

Things that suck : Petrol Prices, Immigration, We do have some ridiculous laws e.g criminals let off easily, Hooligans.

and this is why england is so disappointing these days...

most pubs i've been to offer frozen yorkshire puddings, which are just awful, not to mention the dozens of great british pubs closed down or bulldozed - i was in covent garden and searched for half an hour for a cafe that sold loose leaf tea, but everywhere was just shitty tea bags.

every thing else you list you can get pretty much elsewhere.

my main gripe with england/britain is that everything these days seems to be about doing everything as cheaply as possible, everything is just cheap nasty imported rubbish designed to fall apart, buildings designed at the cheapest cost rather than out of architectural pride. even the beer in england has, in the mainstream dwindled to a handful of brands offereing generic chemical piss.

as Tilley says, there is no national identity anymore and i blame the beatles, well not really, but GB hasn't been the same since.

british national identity for me was what we created during the victorian era, unfortunately all that was good about that period from arts to engineering has been abandoned firstly through embarrassment over imperialism, and then following WW2 when we adopted a policy of doing everything on the cheap.

and that to the media industry's pathetic obsession with trying to make american sitcoms and movies, the horrendous adoption of out-of-town social centre's

oh, and local public transport -

but, yes, there is some nice country living to be had.

Guest DavidJCW

Hmm... no surprise to see the stereotypical and rather stupid English perspective of Belgium cropping up from people on here... including a quote from the 'oh so knowledgable' James May... :rolleyes:

Graffiti everywhere... no. I hardly saw any where I lived and we had several different houses in many different cities and towns over the years.

Dull... no. Perhaps it's not full of clubs and pubs and nightlife at all times... but if you know where to go, there's nothing wrong with it at all... and to be fair, considering we don't have the yobs that this place does, I'd take Belgium any day!

It's got lovely people, lovely food, well mannered citizens, beautiful countryside, great areas for living and feeling like you're in a good community... yes, you'll get some of those things, if not all of them at times, here, but in general, Belgium is pretty much like that all the time, here... not so much.

Can't stand people who can't speak the lingo or even try to.

If I was to move to a different country, I'd take the time to learn about their culture, their history and at least make sure I had basic language skills for that particular country.

Ignorant world is this.

Archived