Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Arkie Bennett

Leicester Return to League Speedway

English from English parents.

:giggle:

My username just refers to where I was at the time of joining...no other connection, didn't think I'd post that much.

PM me if you're that interested in the reasoning of me having an interest in Poland and that sort of thing. I went Poland for a week with the sole intention of watching the speedway but due to circumstances, went for a week and had a time and off. At the same time, I met a couple of people there who'd I'd spoken to over the net (lads the same age before any suggestions!).

Nothing wrong with stranger sex as long as everyone consents :thumbup:

Shame it's in beamont leys though. Dumphole

fook you. It's just round the corner from where I live and it's an OK place. I'm not so sure Syston rates that highly on the "places I'd like to live" league table?

On the question of speedway, great news. I used to go to the old stadium and the smell of the shale was brilliant. Can't wait. And seeeing as I'll be at the matches I won't have to complain about the noise!

Turns out I won't be attending any league meetings between Lynn & Leicester next season as Lynn have been put in the elite league. Gutted about this. Will still have to catch a Lions meeting when I'm in Leicester for the footy though, when I'm feeling rich anyway.

The British Speedway Promoters' Association have confirmed that champions Coventry Bees and Peterborough Panthers will not be competing in the 2011 Elite League.

The news, which will send shock waves through the sport in Britain, was confirmed on Saturday after days of talks following the AGM earlier this month.

Both Coventry and Peterborough were allegedly unhappy with how the rules for next season were shaping up following the annual meeting, and it is reported both walked away from the negotiating table.

The BSPA had hoped both clubs might have a re-think over their alleged actions, but it is believed neither chance were forthcoming with a change of stance.

With Birmingham Brummies the only new team confirmed so far, the current line-up stands at seven with Belle Vue, Poole, Swindon, Wolverhampton, Lakeside and Eastbourne also confirmed starters.

The BSPA want and need eight teams, and it is now believed they are looking at promoting another team from the Premier League - most likely former top-flight side King's Lynn, or possibly re-starting racing at a former venue such as Oxford.

The BSPA said that the full line-up for 2011 would be confirmed on Monday, but that it will not include Coventry or Peterborough.

The statement read: "British Speedway's Elite League will have a new look in the 2011 season.

"The British Speedway Promoters' Association can confirm that both Coventry Bees and Peterborough Panthers will not be taking their place in the top flight after they failed to declare their intent to compete in the 2011 Elite League at last week's AGM.

"The Association can confirm, however, that the future of the league is secure and the full line-up for the 2011 campaign will be unveiled on Monday at midday.

A couple of local derbies for the Lions next season :scarf: . Can't believe Coventry have dropped down a league :unsure:

Can't believe Coventry have dropped down a league :unsure:

They haven't. Still got to put an application in and the PL is 'full' so to speak. They already turned down Plymouth's application to move up a division.

I still see the pair of them in the Elite League when there's a concession made.

• 1 month later...
Richard Hall will lead Leicester back into action this season. The recent signing from Sheffield has been handed the captain’s armband, a role he is already familiar with having carried out the duties for S****horpe three years ago.

The Lions captain will wear the number four race jacket and is paired with Ilya Bondarenko, the newcomer to British tracks. The Lions promoter David Hemsley said: “Richard will bring experience to the middle order of the side and help his team partner through his debut season”. Hemsley has decided his opening pairing will be Sergey Darkin and John Oliver with Richard Sweetman, the youngest rider in the team, lining up at number five. The two reserves will be Jamie Courtney and Jan Graversen.

Apart from Bondarenko, who becomes a Leicester asset, his new teammates remain contracted to their respective clubs.

A season ticket for the lions next season costs £330 :o

Meetings!!

You may want to mention that to the club then :blush:

From the Official site

2011 fixtures details to be announced soon.

Race day: Saturday’s

Tapes up: 7.30 pm

Please check back later for more information.

Get your 2011 season ticket now and help the Lions make a fast start to their first ever Premier League season!

• 4 weeks later...

Admission and Season Tickets

2011 Admission Prices

•Adults: £15.00

•Over 65's: £13.00

•Children (aged 10-16): £5.00

•Children (under 10): FREE

•Family (2 adults & 2 children): £30.00

2011 Season Tickets

•Adults: £330.00

•Over 65's: £285.00

•Children (aged 10-16): £110.00

• 2 weeks later...
Leicester Lions fans can begin counting down the days to the season.

Fixtures have been released and the Lions begin with two challenge matches before their Premier League campaign kicks in.

First up is a trip to Redcar on Thursday, March 24 followed by the first meeting at Beaumont Park on Saturday, April 2 with Sheffield Tigers the visitors.

The battle for league points starts on Sunday, April 10, when S****horpe Scorpions, captained by Sileby's David Howe, travel to Leicester.

"This is a reality check for us and really builds up the excitement to the beginning of the season," said Lions promoter David Hemsley.

"The two challenge matches will allow us to build up a rapport and relationship with the riders, get the pairings right and sort out any loose ends there may be.

"The Redcar track is fast, like ours, very banked and should suit our continental riders.

"Then they will get the chance to race on their own track. The riders need to be compatible and able to dial in their equipment before the Premier League starts.

"It is our first season back and we're determined to show what we are made of. We've got some good riders, including a couple of youngsters from Australia in Richard Sweetman and John Oliver, and two Russian stars and I don't think we will be out of our depth."

Redcar finished bottom of the Premier League last season but, with former world champion Gary Havelock and Aussie World Cup winner Jason Frost in their ranks, should prove testing opposition.

It will be a challenge also for Lions' Jan Graversen, who had a spell at the South Tees Motor Sport Park last season.

Sheffield, managed by former England team boss Eric Boocock, field exciting talents in Aussie Shane Parker, Ricky Ashworth and John Auty, who all had averages of seven-plus in 2010.

The first Premier League match will be something special, though, particularly for Howe, who has followed the Lions revival with interest.

"I hope David does really well and enjoys riding here," said Hemsley. "Win or lose, I hope riders says what a great race track we have here."

It is the end of a long journey for the Lions fans, who last saw their team in action 28 years ago.

Steve Chilton, the supporters' club secretary, said: "Seeing the fixtures means we're one step closer to the dream being realised. We're really excited about it and are counting down the days.

"I think the team has a lot of potential and we're going to surprise a few people. The track looks in great shape and we're going see some exciting racing."

Work to complete the £1.2million Beaumont Park stadium is moving into overdrive.

"We're getting there," said Hemsley.

"It's a seven-day week job now and, when it's all finished, I think it will be even better than I expected."

early Fixtures: Thur, March 24, Redcar (a, Challenge); Sat, Apr 2, Sheffield (h, Challenge); Sun, Apr 10, S****horpe (h, Premier); Thur, Apr 14, Redcar (a, Premier); Sat, Apr 16, Newcastle (h, Premier); Sun, Apr 17, Newcastle (a, Premier); Fri, Apr 22, Edinburgh (a, Premier); Sat, Apr 23, Rye House (h, Premier); Mon Apr 25, Rye House (a, Premier); Sat, Apr 30, Somerset (h, Prem).

I'm gonna try and get to as many meetings as possible.

• 1 month later...

46 all last night in front of a sell-out 4,500 crowd. Real stuff starts next Sunday against Scunny in the league.

If anyone wants to see some proper ultra actions related to the sport, watch this. It's live now from Poland, their Super Sunday 'fixture' as such. Opening week in E/Liga. Zielona Gora, the sport's finest fans.

http://sport.tvp.pl/zuzel/speedway-ekstraliga/wideo/ekstraliga-pge-marma-rzeszow-caelum-stal-gorzow/4230575

I was there. It was an entertaining night's racing. It was a mixed crowd, including a significant number of neutrals from around the country, a number of first-timers, and a sizeable turnout from Sheffield. It seemed to me a lot of Lions fans were attending their first match for many years, while others are switching their allegiences from other teams. Although I don't think the final score was pre-determined, I think Sheffield did hold back a bit after their excellent start, in the interests of keeping the scores close. Not that the Lions' top three riders need any help; they are more than a match for the top three of every other team. S****horpe will be the first real test, especially for the lower order.

As a stadium buit from scratch, it's a remarkable achievement. There are many improvements to be made, but it's a very promising start.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic performance by the lions last night, beating Rye House 56-35 :scarf: . Richard Hall was immense. Once Bondarenko returns we've got a really good line up. John Oliver is letting the team down in a big way. Big match next saturday against Somerset, they're top and have won every game this season !

• 3 months later...

Archived