Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Arkie Bennett

Leicester Return to League Speedway

As much as I hate Coventry as a football team, and the shithole of a City that it is, I used to go to see the Bees with my grandad as a kid, Always wondered why Leicester never had a team.

Great sport, and huge respect to the riders.

Awesome! My brother, son and I love a bit of speedway, good team and venue here in King's Lynn. Held the world cup semi final here this year which was fantastic aswell. We will have to come and watch Lions vs The Stars next season then. Brilliant news.

Birmingham, the nearest Premier League track is £15. Though there's good concessions.

I am a Speedway fan and can't wait. Going to be fun. I hope the track is a corker as well.

I strongly suggest anyone whose interest has been heightened to watch some of the Grand Prix's (World Championship) from this year. Poland had their first winner in ages despite it's popularity over there (league matches are attended by average of 5,000 to 7,000 at the top level...you'd be lucky if it's four figures here).

Also if you do get into it....it's a very, very frustating sport.

I've followed it for nearly forty years and it certainly is frustrating. There should be nothing complicated about a series of races between four riders on similar powerful motorcycles on an enclosed track. The authorities make so many rules that it becomes difficult to keep up with the intricacies, as some of them change for each season, sometimes even during the season.

The new Leicester track is 320 metres with quite long straights, which I think will make for interesting racing, with riders having to use some throttle control rather than just go flat out. They say there will be some banking on the corners, but not too much as they want to encourage riders to use different lines. Personally, I think the best line will be tight going into the bends and wide coming out.

Leicester will be in the Premier League, which is the second tier. Birmingham have just been accepted into the Elite League (the top tier), which means (at the time of writing) we will be the only Midlands team in the Premier and our closest rivals, geographically, will be Sheffield, King's Lynn and S****horpe. This could change, as two of the teams in the Elite League walked out of last weekend's promoters' conference, leaving the Elite League's plans for 2011 in turmoil. There is no other professional team sport as badly organised as speedway.

The Leicester promotion have worked incredibly hard and done remarkably well to get permission and then build a new stadium. They have had a couple of departures of personnel behind the scenes that have raised concerns among some of the fans, and disappointingly the club hasn't commented on them. But then this is speedway.

Home matches will be on Saturday evenings. The stadium will have a capacity of 4,500, and I expect the Lions will be one of the top three or four best supported teams in the country. I can't wait, although I will probably have to reduce my expenditure on football as I can't afford to do both.

Really looking forward to this. I usually go and watch the Coventry bees a couple of times a season. I just hope we can attract some decent riders. David Howe would be an ideal signing. He's a local lad ( from Sileby ) and rides for S****horpe at the moment

When I read your post Arkie, I went to the relevant website to see the AGM news and it doesn't surprise me in the slightest...we could be here all day trashing the sport and it would be a complete turn-off.

After the Poole 'average-fixing' investigation, I firmly went off taking such an active interest in the sport and now I take a passive interest whilst trying to catch the GPs which tbf this year have been the best series in years. Hopefully, seeing the Lions for the first time with my own eyes will be a catalyst. Looking forward to watching us at a number of tracks at the very least and hopefully doubling up with footy and other bits....Somerset, Northern Tour's and all that. A challenge versus Coventry would be the ideal start next week.

I'm especially game if it's anything like this!

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

:lei1: :lei1: :lei1:

Super pics. Speedway is arguably the number one sport in Poland. It's well-organised there; clubs have reserve teams, training sessions and stadiums that not shared with other sports. I've travelled round Poland and it's weird seeing people on trains avidly reading speedway magazines. The atmosphere at their league meetings is tremendous.

The one thing that has disappointed me about the new stadium is that it has been squeezed into a corner of the site, restricting the space to increase spectator capacity. There is no room to expand on the back straight, nor on the first/second turns, The stadium will have a capacity of 4,500, which I guess puts it in the top four or five, but with more space all round they could have used temporary stands to increase the capacity for big events.

CF, where are you actually from / what is your cultural background?

English from English parents.

:giggle:

My username just refers to where I was at the time of joining...no other connection, didn't think I'd post that much.

PM me if you're that interested in the reasoning of me having an interest in Poland and that sort of thing. I went Poland for a week with the sole intention of watching the speedway but due to circumstances, went for a week and had a time and off. At the same time, I met a couple of people there who'd I'd spoken to over the net (lads the same age before any suggestions!).

Archived