Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
J.Lisemore

Kevin Muscat tackle.

It is a very bad tackle, but to be fair, when you see the replay he looks like he has gone to hoof the ball out and just missed it.

The beautiful thing is that there was no change in the path of the ball from when he started swinging his leg to when he took the guy down, so I've no idea how he misjudged it so horrifically.

ReputationMuscat was branded a “lowlife” and a “nobody” by ex-England striker Ian Wright, then of Nottingham Forest, in September 1999. Wright claimed he was about to shoot when he heard Dougie Freedman, Forest's other striker, shout "leave it". Wright stepped over the ball to allow Freedman to hit it, but instead Muscat (who had, according to Wright, merely impersonated Freedman) appeared to clear the ball.[11]

Muscat was dubbed the "most hated man in football" by then Birmingham City player Martin Grainger in 2000.[12] He seriously injured both Craig Bellamy and Christophe Dugarry, the latter in a friendly international between Australia and France in 2001 with a sliding tackle from behind.[12] The French manager Roger Lemerre dubbed the tackle "an act of brutality".[12][13] There was speculation that Muscat’s temperament was the reason he was never selected for inclusion in an Old Firm encounter during the season he was at Rangers.[14]

In 2004, a lawsuit on Muscat brought by former Charlton Athletic player Matty Holmes resulted in a settlement of £250,000 plus costs in favour of Holmes, bringing the estimated settlement to around £750,000. Holmes had to have four operations on his leg following a tackle by Muscat in 1998, and there were initial fears that his leg might have to be amputated. The claim was settled at the High Court without any admission of liability.[15][16] In a League Cup tie while at Millwall, he grabbed the throat of Liverpool striker Milan Baros.[17] Also in 2004, Iwan Roberts admitted he deliberately stamped on Muscat in a match against Norwich City in revenge for his attempt to injure Craig Bellamy in 1999. Roberts was subsequently fined and suspended by the Football Association for his comments.[18][19]

In December 2005, he was the first A-League player to appear before a FFA disciplinary hearing and was subsequently suspended for two matches for "violent conduct".[20] At an A-league game in October 2006 Muscat clashed with then Adelaide United coach John Kosmina, knocking Kosmina from his chair while retrieving the ball. Kosmina responded by grabbing Muscat by the throat, an action for which Kosmina was suspended for four matches.[21][22]

Muscat's dominant personality and aggressive style has equally won him admirers and detractors in the A-League, with former England international Terry Butcher stating "Every manager in the A-League would love to have Kevin, and I'm no exception".[23]

On October 11, 2010, Aston Villa winger Ashley Young revealed he was threatened by Muscat during his first professional match as an 18 year old. Young told the media "I remember my first game for Watford. When I came on, Kevin Muscat's first words to me were 'Don't go past me or I will break your legs'."[24] This is despite the fact that by the time Young had been substituted in, Muscat had already been sent off.[25] However, it has been found that this was said by Muscat when he jogged past Young in the warm-up.[citation

Was at 2 of those above games and the game on Saturday night. Kevie really is one of those players you love to have him on your side but would hate to come up against him. He has captained Victory to 2 titles in 6 seasons and runner up last season. Tremendous leader who loves to cross the line every now and again and get in ya face even in the face of teamates.

Was at 2 of those above games and the game on Saturday night. Kevie really is one of those players you love to have him on your side but would hate to come up against him. He has captained Victory to 2 titles in 6 seasons and runner up last season. Tremendous leader who loves to cross the line every now and again and get in ya face even in the face of teamates.

Sounds like you're talking about a certain championship manager who recently got fired, much to the amusement of many.

No doubt was a quality player who lead his team to titles, but still it does not detract form his dirty nature, all anyone need say is Haaland and everyone knows full well what you're on about.

Sounds like you're talking about a certain championship manager who recently got fired, much to the amusement of many.

No doubt was a quality player who lead his team to titles, but still it does not detract form his dirty nature, all anyone need say is Haaland and everyone knows full well what you're on about.

Bit of a difference in terms of quality with Keane and this Muscat fellow, who at the end of the day is just some second-rate nobody who likes a tackle, whereas Keane is known as a legend at one of the biggest clubs in the world!

Bit of a difference in terms of quality with Keane and this Muscat fellow, who at the end of the day is just some second-rate nobody who likes a tackle, whereas Keane is known as a legend at one of the biggest clubs in the world!

He did captain a side to an FA Cup final

Guest BlueBrett
Holmes had to have four operations on his leg following a tackle by Muscat in 1998, and there were initial fears that his leg might have to be amputated

Dark!

If someone tackled me and I lost my leg there is no way I could ever let it lie. Especially if the **** who did it was still happily playing football for a living.

Scumbag Muscat career pretty much finished after 8 game ban :chant:

KEVIN MUSCAT’S A-League career is almost certainly over after the FFA last night imposed an eight-match ban for his two-footed tackle on Adrian Zahra in last week’s derby against the Heart.

With three matches of the regular season left to play, the ban ensures the 37-year-old will take no further part in the competition even if Melbourne make it all the way to the grand final. Should they not, and Muscat decides to play on, he will have to serve the remainder of the weeks next season.

Last night, an FFA judicial disciplinary committee found Muscat guilty of gross recklessness. The panel took into account his poor history, in which Muscat has previously ended one player’s career, inflicted long-term injuries on two other opponents,received 12 red cards and 95 yellow cards

“We believe a lengthy suspension is justified and necessary, both as a deterrent to the player and to signal to the other players in the A-League that such conduct will not be tolerated,” said disciplinary committee chairman Lachlan Gyles SC.

The FFA took into account Muscat’s public apology, but found that, irrespective of intent, the degree of recklessness showed a complete disregard for Adrian Zahra’s safety.

‘‘The committee was told during the hearing that the player had made the best part of 600 appearances as a defender ... In these circumstances, the player should have appreciated the serious risk of injury brought about by the manner of the tackle,” said Gyles.

The eight-match suspension is the second largest handed out by the FFA, and one of the largest for a dangerous tackle in world football. While Muscat reiterated his regret, he said he would not appeal the verdict. “I was prepared to accept whatever ban came my way,’’ he said.

Meanwhile, a British footballer whose career was ended by Muscat has joined the condemnation of the tackle. ‘‘Yeah, I saw the footage of the tackle [on Melbourne Heart player Adrian Zahra], and it was horrific,’’ Matty Holmes told the Herald. ‘‘To be honest, I don’t really want to talk about it because it does bring back some memories. But I hope the kid has a speedy recovery.’’

The former Charlton midfielder was forced into early retirement after failing to recover from an injury sustained in a Muscat tackle in 2000. Four years later, Holmes was awarded $600,000 after a court case against Muscat. As a result of the settlement, he is unable to comment on that incident.

Despite his experience, Holmes believes harsh penalties against transgressors will not rid the game of violent play.

‘‘It’s up to [team] managers. You know with kids, you have to pull the kids off when they’re disrespectful or commit bad tackles. You pull them to side and you educate them,’’ he said

There's only one team in Melbourne! That's the team that is higher on the table, has won numerous trophies, better players and better as well as more supporters!

Just out of interest, why does the stadium look half-empty for a local derby such as this one?

Just out of interest, why does the stadium look half-empty for a local derby such as this one?

Cos the FFA spent have spent most of their money on trying to get the world cup, there advertising budget from the first 2 seasons of the league has been cut and they are now spending 20% of what they spent in the first two seasons (now in season 6).

Advertising is greatly needed for football here cos it's still not that popular with the main stream audience. Attendance across the board have dropped dramatically Victory have gone from Averaging over 25,000 a game to about 16,000.

On Saturday the crowd was 32,000 which could of been better but with the Aus Open tennis just down the road and a cricket match close by aswell probably hampered it.

Spewing Kevin got 8 weeks. althouh i would love us to make the final so he can have a fitting send off

Archived