Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

Anyone going backwards in time with their music?

Apart from my love of Electronic Music (Downtempo/Ambient/Trip-Hop etc) and some folk and maybe even postponk/shoegaze styles, I'm finding that the music I'm getting interested in is going backwards i.e. from certain artists, I found out their influences and those before it. I absolutely detest manufactured pap like X-Factor, so have just put on Grey Whistle Test I'd recorded and was amazed at a certain guitarist called Ry Cooder - I have his Buena Vista Social Club album - and this guy is amazing.. plus I'm just getting into Neil Young and Jimi Hendrix too.

Is anybody else getting into older stuff??

I love new and old, nothing beats discovering a new artist whether they are established or new. Good choice in neil young, amazing songwriter. I do have a huge collection of 'older' stuff, I prefer now to find new bands, its not easy and they certainly aint found on the radio or tv. I always hope for a new revolution in the music indiustry, loads of kids breaking away and rebelling from the x factor tosh but it doesnt seem to be happening.

I love new and old, nothing beats discovering a new artist whether they are established or new. Good choice in neil young, amazing songwriter. I do have a huge collection of 'older' stuff, I prefer now to find new bands, its not easy and they certainly aint found on the radio or tv. I always hope for a new revolution in the music indiustry, loads of kids breaking away and rebelling from the x factor tosh but it doesnt seem to be happening.

Last FM is good - type in an artist you like and then subsequently after one song by them, it plays a list of continual styled songs by varied artists similar to the one you've chosen.

Seeing as I am only 19, my music taste in music is different to most of my mates, so I think I'm going back. My favourites are Beatles, Kinks and the Who. I tend to prefer bands or artists who wrote their own music, I mean, John Lennon who is my hero was a very, very gifted person and a sensational singer-songwriter.

Like you though, I don't like X-Factor because I feel you should work your way to the top - not join a show where you get placed into the industry. I don't like artists nowadays because some music seems to be manufactured. I'm not into artists who can't play instruments really - when you see people like Will Young and JLS - they are just singing with music in their ear, its not like watching artists like the Beatles or the Who etc (on dvd's obviously which I have) where they are actually playing instruments. And I prefer artists who write their own music, they are obviously more cleverer (I know it doesn't always make them better because Elvis didn't write his music, but I just prefer it when they do).

Last FM is good - type in an artist you like and then subsequently after one song by them, it plays a list of continual styled songs by varied artists similar to the one you've chosen.

Might check that out haven't listened to the radio for probably 18 months.

Seeing as I am only 19, my music taste in music is different to most of my mates, so I think I'm going back. My favourites are Beatles, Kinks and the Who. I tend to prefer bands or artists who wrote their own music, I mean, John Lennon who is my hero was a very, very gifted person and a sensational singer-songwriter.

Like you though, I don't like X-Factor because I feel you should work your way to the top - not join a show where you get placed into the industry. I don't like artists nowadays because some music seems to be manufactured. I'm not into artists who can't play instruments really - when you see people like Will Young and JLS - they are just singing with music in their ear, its not like watching artists like the Beatles or the Who etc (on dvd's obviously which I have) where they are actually playing instruments. And I prefer artists who write their own music, they are obviously more cleverer (I know it doesn't always make them better because Elvis didn't write his music, but I just prefer it when they do).

Bands still write their own music today you know - it's not a forgotten art, regardless of what may appear in the charts (and always has, to be fair.)

Also, a lot of people (me included) would argue that The Beatles were a manufactured band.

Bands still write their own music today you know - it's not a forgotten art, regardless of what may appear in the charts (and always has, to be fair.)

Also, a lot of people (me included) would argue that The Beatles were a manufactured band.

Hardly manufactured in the way bands are today, plus they created a new sound that is still loved today and changed popular music, if people look back in 60 years and talk about will young or girls aloud in the same way...well it wont happen will it. But if some manufactured band makes music as good as the beatles I'll be very happy.

David Bowiw..genius.

I have a major issue with people who are simply singing other people's songs labelling themselves 'artists'. It's karaoke and they're just a face. No artistry involved whatsoever. It's not about being a decent singer - Bob Dillon proved that - it's about craft and having a song the artist believes in. How you can possibly put any feeling into some pap plasticy love song that's been written for you is beyond me. And air grabbing or a tale of your tough upbringing told over some Coldplay chorus doesn't count as emotion.

David Bowiw..genius.

I have a major issue with people who are simply singing other people's songs labelling themselves 'artists'. It's karaoke and they're just a face. No artistry involved whatsoever. It's not about being a decent singer - Bob Dillon proved that - it's about craft and having a song the artist believes in. How you can possibly put any feeling into some pap plasticy love song that's been written for you is beyond me. And air grabbing or a tale of your tough upbringing told over some Coldplay chorus doesn't count as emotion.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I could listen to the Pretty Things, XTC, the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes or 10cc for ages.

Revolver, for instance, is such an amazingly well-crafted album like no other - whereas it used to be the artists crafting their own songs back in the days, they've been replaced by soulless producer's pop it seems.

Not that I'm saying there's no good music around any more. But with the sheer amount of music available, you just have to dig a little deeper.

Archived