Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stay Positive

Are you a music snob?

I mean, do you instantly dismiss something if it's "pop" music, or if it's by a contestant from a reality show? Does your opinion of someone dip if they've got a crappy taste in music? I guess I used to be a bit like that but I've mellowed over the years, and can now accept that if I like something, I like it. so while I'll actively seek out the more obscure music, I will also admit that I really like both the last two singles Olly Murs has had in the charts. And I feel no shame is saying that.

I can't listen to hip hop/rap or modern r'n'b at all. Loathe it personally. But I can however see the appeal it brings and I would never judge someone else's music taste. We can't all like the same thing.

I can't listen to hip hop/rap or modern r'n'b at all. Loathe it personally. But I can however see the appeal it brings and I would never judge someone else's music taste. We can't all like the same thing.
To an extent I'm the same as you with those two genres, but there are exceptions in both for me. Things like "modern r 'n' b" are broad categories. I mean, Rihanna is supposedly regarded as a modern r 'n' b artist, but I'd say most of her stuff is pure pop. I'm not keen on most of it but she's done a couple of singles I really liked, especially her recent collaboration with Calvin Harris. Actually there's a lot less stuff in the charts these days that makes me want to throw the radio out the window than there was 5 years ago...

I haven't even heard of half the people in the charts these days. I worked in a music shop 5 years ago so it was my job to know what was happening in the music world, but now, I couldn't tell you what's in the charts or who even this Calvin Harris is that you mentioned above. lol

I mean, do you instantly dismiss something if it's "pop" music, or if it's by a contestant from a reality show? No Does your opinion of someone dip if they've got a crappy taste in music? Yes I guess I used to be a bit like that but I've mellowed over the years, and can now accept that if I like something, I like it. Agreed so while I'll actively seek out the more obscure music, I will also admit that I really like both the last two singles Olly Murs has had in the charts. :jawdrop: And I feel no shame is saying that.

I've not taken much interest in what charts since I was about 22. I just like what I like and I'm open to all types of music. When people ask me, "what kind of music do you like?" I always reply, "good music."

I loathe Rihanna and R&B in general, and again dismiss pretty much everything to do with X factor although I though Janet Devlin was half decent.

Finding myself listening to Lana Del Rey, Paramore, the Smiths, Alexandra Stan and Miles Kane a lot right now, hold tickets for LMFAO and the Stone Roses so wouldnt say I was a music snob, its a big slice of Indie topped with Cheese I guess?

I used to be massively elitist as a kid but I think it's something you grow out of as you age.

There are still things I turn my nose up at but it's usually after giving it a brief listen and I'm listening to stuff like Lana Del Rey, Florence + The Machine and Mumford and Sons that I'd never have even dreamt of giving the time of day to five years ago.

Besides, my guilty pleasure is hardstyle so I don't think I could dare to lay claim to being a "snob" anymore. lol

I'm a little bit of a snob. I hate people that have no real taste of their own, where they assume just because something is played on Radio 1 then it must be awesome, or if a song is made by Lady Gaga, then it must great, whether it's a good song or not.

Don't mind if people like RnB or Rap or whatever, if it's by preference, not because it's plugged endlessly and it's the only thing they've ever listened to.

Well, I'm not sure. Most of the time I feel like I have a better taste in music than 98.5% of the world's population, does that mean I'm a music snob?

No but it does make you, given I'm pretty sure you claimed Crass were the pinnacle of punk, wrong. :whistle:

I've not taken much interest in what charts since I was about 22. I just like what I like and I'm open to all types of music. When people ask me, "what kind of music do you like?" I always reply, "good music."

I agree with this, My musical collection is very very varied with different genres. I just like what i like same as with my women. Although most of my Computer is filled with music from the last 10 years, i also have a fair bit of music from different eras.

No but it does make you, given I'm pretty sure you claimed Crass were the pinnacle of punk, wrong. :whistle:

I was probably having a Crass session when I said that, you know what it's like :rolleyes:

Anyway this was the pinnacle of punk and it happened 5 years before anyone else even knew of the genre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy32skBSHs0&feature=fvwrel

Was watching a quiz show and someone said they didn't know the music because, "It wasn't my era" which annoys me for some reason. Why do people stop listening to music around their mid 20s (or earlier) and refer to that period as "my era"?

Don't understand. Is this snobbery?

Wrooooooong.

Wanna fight abaaat it?

In all seriousness, that track has been a soundtrack to my life so far. Though I suppose its punk credentials may be slightly lacking, and only really appear after several wines beers and whiskys at 2 o'clock in the morning...

In into everything tbh, probably least so pop but don't mind some Rihanna, Calvin Harris etc

It ****s me off people who dismiss certain genres because its not pwopa music as it has no guitars etc and who only listen to music in a certain decade or say a certain decade is the best.

I ****ing detest LMFAO though.

If a snob gets annoyed when he hears comments like this then yeah you could classify me as one.

Y'see, now. I used to. I used to cringe everytime anyone said that. I'd roll my eyes and make comments like "so you aren't actually into music then." And my music taste's always been fairly eclectic (pretty sure anybody that uses that word also qualifies) but I still had my distinct one or two main areas of interest so it wasn't something that ever applied to me.

But these days I find myself more and more willing to listen to essentially anything as long as it's tidy quality music. I hate having to answer the question "what do you listen to?" now because I'm forced to either become what I hate or spend about half an hour trying to justify the broad spectrum of rubbish I'll listen to!

I sincerely can't think of a genre of music, other than manufactured "rock" pop acts and everything off the X Factor, that I won't actually give the time of day to before judging.

I don't look down on someone, or whatever the expression is, if they like music that I don't like because everyone is different and like whatever. But, I do hate all "artists" from shows such as the X-Factor. I hate those shows, they shouldn't be allowed.

Y'see, now. I used to. I used to cringe everytime anyone said that. I'd roll my eyes and make comments like "so you aren't actually into music then." And my music taste's always been fairly eclectic (pretty sure anybody that uses that word also qualifies) but I still had my distinct one or two main areas of interest so it wasn't something that ever applied to me.

But these days I find myself more and more willing to listen to essentially anything as long as it's tidy quality music. I hate having to answer the question "what do you listen to?" now because I'm forced to either become what I hate or spend about half an hour trying to justify the broad spectrum of rubbish I'll listen to!

I sincerely can't think of a genre of music, other than manufactured "rock" pop acts and everything off the X Factor, that I won't actually give the time of day to before judging.

It's the fact that when I hear "anything" I immediately assume they like everyone I hate. For example I can imagine the "anything crew" form quite a large part of the crowd at a Pendulum gig. Or a Skrillex one.

Archived