Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Nirvana

Think I agree with Finnegan. They were a bit like the American Oasis. Great lo-fi first album but in general nowhere near near as ground-breaking and seminal as some fans think. Also like Oasis they inspired a load of really rubbish bands.

Think I agree with Finnegan. They were a bit like the American Oasis. Great lo-fi first album but in general nowhere near near as ground-breaking and seminal as some fans think. Also like Oasis they inspired a load of really rubbish bands.

This is true. Most of the good grunge bands were around at the same time or before.

I personally think that In Utero is their best album - more raw - but each to their own.

Yep. They were exactly like the American Oasis in that they were a rather watered down version of what was going on in the underground at the time and while they were influential in that they broke the underground into the ultra-mainstream, they really weren't particularly original or creative and most of their influence came through luck and happenstance of them being the ones who broke through while plenty of other equal or superior bands didn't than anything - and not even the underground, even some semi-popular bands like the Pixies, Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr had done it all before much better. 

And also like Oasis and britpop, grunge was a complete marketing ploy which didn't really have any sound rather than an actual genre. The difference between a grunge band and say, Sonic Youth or Dinosaur Jr, in sound is pretty minimal and certainly not enough to consider it some huge ground breaking movement. 

They were ok, but I don't get why people still talk about them.

Beat Happening - now there's a hugely original and creative band from Washington who changed the shape of American guitar music, helped launch American alternative music, were massively influential including on Nirvana themselves - Cobain even had a tattoo of K Records and was famously distraught he couldn't attend Washington International Pop Underground Festival he was such a devotee of Beat Happening and Calvin Johnson.

Yep. They were exactly like the American Oasis in that they were a rather watered down version of what was going on in the underground at the time and while they were influential in that they broke the underground into the ultra-mainstream, they really weren't particularly original or creative and most of their influence came through luck and happenstance of them being the ones who broke through while plenty of other equal or superior bands didn't than anything - and not even the underground, even some semi-popular bands like the Pixies, Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr had done it all before much better. 

And also like Oasis and britpop, grunge was a complete marketing ploy which didn't really have any sound rather than an actual genre. The difference between a grunge band and say, Sonic Youth or Dinosaur Jr, in sound is pretty minimal and certainly not enough to consider it some huge ground breaking movement. 

They were ok, but I don't get why people still talk about them.

Beat Happening - now there's a hugely original and creative band from Washington who changed the shape of American guitar music, helped launch American alternative music, were massively influential including on Nirvana themselves - Cobain even had a tattoo of K Records and was famously distraught he couldn't attend Washington International Pop Underground Festival he was such a devotee of Beat Happening and Calvin Johnson.

Haven't heard of Beat Happening before, just been giving them a listen on YouTube and they sound pretty decent. I'm a fan of Nirvana but admit I did prefer the Smashing Pumpkins at the time.

Favourite song not released as a single or just favourite underrated song?

Love Lounge Act, powerful voice in that and lyrics are pretty cool

I love Lounge Act too, might be my favourite song by them. I don't know why but I love how the last line of each verse carries into the chorus

Archived