Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cuddly ken

Sven will Pearson ever learn?

A big difference I have noticed between Sven and NP, is that NP is not signing players who are going to demand a first team place right from word go. Most players Sven signed are recognised players who think they should be starting every game. Can't imagine the likes of James, De Laet and Vardy are going to kick up a fuss should they miss a couple of games. Thus meaning a better team spirit.

This is obviously an assumption as I have no idea the personalities of the players.

This thread just re-iterates the fact we MUST keep a manager for longer than a few months!

NP would/will NEVER waste as much money as Sven did and his signing record in the past is excellent so we should have alot of faith.

The more i think about it, the more i believe it wasnt a 'gelling' problem last season, it was just the fact the players weren't giving enough to the cause and probably didnt care because of the wages they were/are on

At least with NP's signings, these lads are promising players that want to learn in the game and get better

I agree with what you say but would also add that the players just weren't/aren't good enough as well.

You are right in saying the players need time to jel, however where Pearson has been cleverer then Sven he has moved fast and made things happen, rather then Svens wait to see what happens with other situations for ex Yakubu. This is going to give the new boys an extra 2 months to get settled into the club and come first game of the season you can be assured they will know the lads around them. We are also expecting 5 or 6 departures so the squad will end up quite level and hopefully with a better balance of players. Judge his transfers after the first few games

I'm surprised we have problems gelling these days. Most players shave their heads or have very short hair.

Good players who are team players don't need time to gel, they just get on with it.

Half of our lot last season were a disgrace at getting their backsides in gear. No excuses. NP won't stand for that nonsense this time round.

Completely agree.

The 'time to gel' crap that was posted on here last season was ridiculous.

People were still saying that about Beckford at the end of the season... ie that he has now had time to 'settle in' and will be firing on all cylinders next season!

Laughable.

It takes time to build a good team, granted, but most players need to hit the ground running in modern day football. As do managers...

Just look at Dalglish..

It doesn't matter who you sign if you can't get the best out of them. And we've showed no signs of doing that for years. Either individualy or collectively. It doesn't help not having a competitive reserves team in which fringe first teamers actually function. As it is anyone out of the first eleven is risking losing match fitness and mental awareness very quickly.

Truth is the reserves' playing philosophy should mirror that of the first team - just another of the "details" we so often seem to neglect despite all the praise the development set-up gets.

Ironically the only team that I've seen at Leicester to have a recognisable playing philosophy is the under 18s. It's brought them considerable success. But nothing develops thereafter. I've said many times it is truly difficult to think of players who have improved for their time at Leicester rather than stagnated or gone backwards.

Some, far too many, should never have been signed in the first place and the colossal waste of money at Leicester over the last few seasons could surely only be challenged by the banking houses, the Labour Party and Leicester City council.

When will our managers learn that, unless you have the massive resources of Manchester City or Chelsea, you build a team. You get people who are consistently competent in their position, experts in particular skills, who are complimentary to team's general set-up and who have the ability to adapt when circumstances demand it.

You then get them to play better than they've ever imagined in their lives within a system they understand and respond to. You also buy players who are capable of helping the management lift the people around them, by example, with a timely word or two of encouragement, with the occasional look that says, "That's not good enough," son.

Every team needs leaders and, apart from Wayne Brown (for all that he looked a lousy footballer once he got the ball) we haven't had any.

So now every signing underwhelms me. I don't care where they come from or their previous. I care about what they do and are encouraged to do by Leicester City. And for over a decade now we haven't even done the basics right.

Academy facilities? I'd rather we used nowhere but Bradgate Park if it installed in us the kind of winning mentality we need.

Unfortunately we seem more bothered about the comfort of injured players in the physio room and offering coaches tours than being the ruthlessly focused winners we need to be.

And that may not be coincidence because from all I see we may be physically well-enough honed but we're mentally soft. Even naive at times.

Yes, I'd give coaches access. Perhaps on two days a year pre-season. The rest of the time, apart from Academy or Reserves matches (the latter being currently denied to the fans) I wouldn't want anyone near the place.

Completely agree.

The 'time to gel' crap that was posted on here last season was ridiculous.

People were still saying that about Beckford at the end of the season... ie that he has now had time to 'settle in' and will be firing on all cylinders next season!

Laughable.

It takes time to build a good team, granted, but most players need to hit the ground running in modern day football. As do managers...

Just look at Dalglish..

FA Cup finalists, Carling Cup winners and eighth in the Premiership ....gee I'd love that sort of first season failure at Leicester. Dalglish made his mistakes - a lot has changed since he was in his pomp - but that seems like a reasonably "running" start to me!

FA Cup finalists, Carling Cup winners and eighth in the Premiership ....gee I'd love that sort of first season failure at Leicester. Dalglish made his mistakes - a lot has changed since he was in his pomp - but that seems like a reasonably "running" start to me!

It might be to you Thrac.

But it's not to the owners... That's my point.

And I personally think that some of the football Liverpool have played this season has been not good enough for the expectations of such a club.

I'd have given Dalglish longer but modern day football isn't like that anymore.

I'm not saying its right or wrong, just that it is a results business.

Signings can no longer be given the luxury of a lengthy 'gelling period'... Just look at Billy Sharp or Jason Roberts or Adam LeFondre. Three players who did 'hit the ground running' and who have helped both The Saints and Reading to promotion.

The "gelling" issue was the fact that as a team we were never settled, every time we started to play well we would lose a player through injury or suspension, or just a shit performance. We didn't have the established players in the side that knew their role and their game and I think that has been an issue since Sousa took over. The closest we have to that is Wellens who has been inconsistent this season.

There is one thing trying to fit into an established team, it is a completely different scenario when everyone is trying to "gel" with each other, hopefully this pre-season will establish partnerships at the back, in the middle and up front. Then when changes need to be made it will only be 1 player in 11 trying to adapt and not all of them.

The "gelling" issue was the fact that as a team we were never settled, every time we started to play well we would lose a player through injury or suspension, or just a shit performance. We didn't have the established players in the side that knew their role and their game and I think that has been an issue since Sousa took over. The closest we have to that is Wellens who has been inconsistent this season.

There is one thing trying to fit into an established team, it is a completely different scenario when everyone is trying to "gel" with each other, hopefully this pre-season will establish partnerships at the back, in the middle and up front. Then when changes need to be made it will only be 1 player in 11 trying to adapt and not all of them.

Sensible post IMO and I think you're quite right..

Imagine if Np never left when the new owners joined, we possibly could have signed cleverley and spearing.

Also would have signed chester, stewart, koren and evans, now theres a thought.

...and Sven was brought in as director of football.

Archived