Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cuddly ken

Sven will Pearson ever learn?

It seems that Pearson is after at least 9 players to bring in for next season.

Is he starting to make the same mistakes as Sven?

Buying too many players which will then lead to the usual " players needing time to gel" excuses come half way through next season.

To be honest Pearson doesn't seem to have a plan B,( cue the pop band jokes!) the players we have been linked with aren't any better than what we have.

The more I hear and see what Pearsons plans are for next season the more it reminds me of what Sven did last per season.

Very worrying!

I also think he may off load some very good players to our championship promotion rivals, which icould go against us.

There'll always be the 'gelling' issue for a while (though we're clearly trying to get ours in ASAP) but NP is someone who will construct a team that will actually function together at a basic level from the off, unlike Sven (of whom I'm a fan, but still) who just buys lots of decent players with not enough forethought of how the team will work.

Why don't we worry about Nige signing too many players when it actually happens? So far we;ve signed 2 players and a non-league youngster "for the future".

Unfortunately if our managers know they only have 1 season to turn us into champions they will have to make wholesale changes as our current team isn't strong enough. The problem is that they could take too long to gel for that manager to get the chance to make them work and we are back at square one.

Gelling won't be an issue for players signed now as they will have the whole pre-season. We are being linked with lots of players they so far seem like the right type of players, they may not necessarily be brought in to be first team players next season like drinkwater and Marshall, but that doesn't mean they won't have an impact, but I do think we need to sign some guaranteed quality that will walk into the first team.

Many people questioned Pearson's same approach at Hull, but he proved he was right.

He signed the quality of chester, hobbs, stewart, evans, fryatt, koren in one pre-season, and got them to function almost immediatley.

The main factor in 'gelling' is that the team pulls together in the same direction, and with the players with are signing, two youngsters from United and a high scoring non-league forward, they will all be desperate to prove themselves in football and gain promotion.

I just hope the owners allow for a 2-3 year plan in case we do not gain immediate promotion this season, allow this young squad (and dont forget management team) to develop individually and together.

svens signing have been average at best. nugent, bamba and kasper included. no wonder we need plenty of signings

The harsh reality! If they'd have suddenly sprung to life in mid-November then we could have blamed it on gelling. Sadly, it turned out that they were simply not good enough collectively, no matter how long they were given.

That said, I don't think we'll see seven changes to the first choice eleven, which was what happened at the start of this season vs Coventry. Most of the changes will be squad ones. With the possible exception of De Laet, I suspect none of our other acquisitions to date will make an early dent on the first eleven; at least not at first.

It seems that Pearson is after at least 9 players to bring in for next season.

Is he starting to make the same mistakes as Sven?

Buying too many players which will then lead to the usual " players needing time to gel" excuses come half way through next season.

To be honest Pearson doesn't seem to have a plan B,( cue the pop band jokes!) the players we have been linked with aren't any better than what we have.

The more I hear and see what Pearsons plans are for next season the more it reminds me of what Sven did last per season.

Very worrying!

I also think he may off load some very good players to our championship promotion rivals, which icould go against us.

You're worried about something that hasn't happened yet and might well not even happen? Right.

So far we've signed 3 players and one is an U21. Not sure what you're worried about?

Plus, with Sven, it was less the number of players he brought in and more that he didn't appear to have a proper strategy or even a real idea of who would play where etc. Plus he's signed a few primadonnas which didn't help.

A new team can gel quickly if the players come with the right attitude and the manager can organise them effectively. I don't think it'll come to that though.

Seriously?! They're top players in their position for this league but lack support around them. Tell me how he could have signed anything that was much better?

Well, a striker who could hit 20 goals in a season on a hell of a lot less money and a keeper who concedes less goals for a start.

Amazes me that we still think of any of these players as 'top' men in this division. Kasper's a decent keeper at this level, but by no means is he the best. In fact, I'm not entirely convinced he's been a great deal better than Weale was back in 09-10.

There'll always be the 'gelling' issue for a while (though we're clearly trying to get ours in ASAP) but NP is someone who will construct a team that will actually function together at a basic level from the off, unlike Sven (of whom I'm a fan, but still) who just buys lots of decent players with not enough forethought of how the team will work.

Bit confused here Lib , how can you be a Sven fan then say he does not have enough forethought of how a team works ?

Well, a striker who could hit 20 goals in a season on a hell of a lot less money and a keeper who concedes less goals for a start.

Amazes me that we still think of any of these players as 'top' men in this division. Kasper's a decent keeper at this level, but by no means is he the best. In fact, I'm not entirely convinced he's been a great deal better than Weale was back in 09-10.

Name me that striker we could have easily signed? With the service peovided I think 16 goals was a fair amount for a striker that isnt the typical poaching striker. Nugent dropped off at the end due to tiredness otherwise he would have got his 20 goals. He also dropped off when Danns was out, it was no coincidence that when Danns was in his right position, on form, Nugent had his best spell because he had the right service and the right type of player behind him.

Clearly another non goalkeeper speaking here, only a non goalkeeper would turn on KS just because he stopped pulling off worldies. Him, Federici and Green were up there as the top 3 this year and how how anyone can compare him to Weale baffles me. Weale was always distinctly average and anybody who thought otherwise is a fool

I think NP has a remarkably good success rate with his signings. In 08/09, he signed Dyer, Morrison, Berner, Hobbs, and Weale in quick succession and they were all instant successes, relatively speaking. Waghorn was an instant success the following season. Gallagher arguably played his best/least worst football in Pearson's first spell. Wayne Brown? Ben Marshall? Wellens' first season? There's been the odd squad player that never took off - but go compare the relative impact of SGE and NP loan signings... it's not a landslide, but I reckon NP has the best % success rate there as well.

I think comparing the relative transfer policies of SGE and NP is like comparing apples with pears.

Signing nine players isn't a problem for me if NP has a couple of years to work with them. Why on earth wouldn't a new manager want his own players in, to get rid of 3/4 players that are OK but have proved that they don't give value for money and take £50k p/w off the wage bill? There is no single SGE signing that indispensable, or without whom promotion would be an impossibility.

Many people questioned Pearson's same approach at Hull, but he proved he was right.

He signed the quality of chester, hobbs, stewart, evans, fryatt, koren in one pre-season, and got them to function almost immediatley.

Funny

No because no one will be falling for that one this time, like some did last season....

How do you come to the conclusion that it's 'very worrying'? We've barely signed anyone yet. Have you seriously been sitting there worrying and tearing your hair out because you predict we'll sign too many players?

The harsh reality! If they'd have suddenly sprung to life in mid-November then we could have blamed it on gelling. Sadly, it turned out that they were simply not good enough collectively, no matter how long they were given.

That said, I don't think we'll see seven changes to the first choice eleven, which was what happened at the start of this season vs Coventry. Most of the changes will be squad ones. With the possible exception of De Laet, I suspect none of our other acquisitions to date will make an early dent on the first eleven; at least not at first.

Now that's what I'm worried about. Well I would be if I thought that was going to be the case.

there should not be many additions to the squad and infact we need to sell a few players.. we now have a big talented youthful and average experienced squad which are more than capable of winning the championship.. if we underachieve again then i really would be speechless!

Well done Sir! Stupid post of the day goes to you! Nugent and Kasper have been stand out performers all season, without Kasper's saves and Nugents goals our finish would have been even worse. Considering we paid £1m for Kasper, and £0 for Nugent, your statement looks a bit silly.

Who would you have signed then?

This thread just re-iterates the fact we MUST keep a manager for longer than a few months!

NP would/will NEVER waste as much money as Sven did and his signing record in the past is excellent so we should have alot of faith.

The more i think about it, the more i believe it wasnt a 'gelling' problem last season, it was just the fact the players weren't giving enough to the cause and probably didnt care because of the wages they were/are on

At least with NP's signings, these lads are promising players that want to learn in the game and get better

Archived