Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brockmyster

Seems Freedman is a big fan...

Just stumbed across this online it seems Dougie Freedman is a big fan of our squad, although im not quite sure what hes been doing for last 6 months of the season with that last paragraph!

CRYSTAL Palace manager Dougie Freedman's weekly column for the Croydon Advertiser, in the paper every Friday and online on Saturdays

THE Advertiser have asked me to name my Championship team of the season and I wasn't allowed to select any Palace players. I was also allowed to select five substitutes, but my budget would only allow four players!

We better stick with a 4-4-2 formation.

For me, Kasper Schmeichel is the best keeper in the Championship and is it any surprise when you consider who his father is?

An excellent shot stopper, his distribution is good and he seems to be able to marshal his defence well.

Mustapha Dumbuya was on loan with us earlier in the season and did very well with us, even though he only played a handful of games.

The Sierra Leone defender has pace to burn, likes to get forward, much like the modern day full-back does, and offers an attacking threat.

Another African player who has caught the eye is Birmingham's on loan Guirane N'Daw. His arrival coincided with the Blues' surge up the table and his versatility offers Chris Hughton extra options in midfield and defence.

Matthew Bates is a product of the Middlesbrough Academy and has been a steadying influence in the heart of their defence throughout the season.

One of the first names on Tony Mowbray's team-sheet, he will be keen to help his side to promotion next season, after going so close to making the play-offs this time round.

He started off the season with Liverpool, but never settled on Merseyside, Paul Konchesky made the left-back slot his own at Leicester.

A consistent performer – he chips in with the odd goal and likes to get stuck in.

Peter Whittingham makes Cardiff tick from an attacking perspective and would not be out of place in the Premier League.

Good free-kick taker, can pick a pass and gets his fair share of goals from midfield.

A similar type of player, Leeds' Robert Snodgrass has been a good foil for Ross McCormack. Weighing in with 13 goals from midfield and he also has several assists and good delivery at set-pieces.

I have said this before, so it will be no surprise to see West Ham's Mark Noble in my team. He is a box-to-box midfielder who rarely wastes possession and a reliable penalty taker.

Scot Chris Burke has also been a key part of Birmingham's play-off push and offers balance on the right of midfield. The former Rangers player has a good strike on him and is another player who likes to get stuck in.

Jermaine Beckford has shown flashes of his undoubted ability since his arrival from Everton and Nigel Pearson will see him as a key cog in the Foxes' promotion bid next season. Together with David Nugent they are sure to be a real threat to Championship defences next season.

Nicky Maynard was a shining light for Bristol City in the early part of the season and this convinced Sam Allardyce to snap him up in January for West Ham's promotion push. His pace and movement creates space for his team-mates, while his finishing ability has seen him score bags of goals in recent season.

On the bench I am overloading with forwards. Scott McDonald gives Middlesbrough boss Tony Mowbray an attacking threat and showed promise earlier in the season. Former England international Carlton Cole has a physical presence in attack and towards the end of the season has bagged crucial goals for West Ham. The former Cardiff striker, Ross McCormack has been prolific for Leeds, scoring 20 goals, including a few crackers.

Leicester defender Matt Mills was a big money signing from Reading and has been a mainstay at the heart of the Foxes defence. As captain, leads by example and is a threat in the opposition box at corners and free-kicks.

Original article: http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/FREEDMAN-FRIDAY-star-XI-season/story-16000681-detail/story.html

"Leicester defender Matt Mills was a big money signing from Reading and has been a mainstay at the heart of the Foxes defence. As captain, leads by example and is a threat in the opposition box at corners and free-kicks."

:blink:

Wow. This would seriously worry me if I was a Palace fan who knew anything about our team this season. He is way way off the mark with Beckford, and is clearly basing his opinion on what he expected of Beckford based on his past, not what he has delivered. Clearly the same with Mills, he has done zero homework. Just assumed because of his big money tranfer and the fact he is captain he is "at the heart" of our defence, when obviously we know this is not true. Do some homework Dougie, it is after all, your job.

"Leicester defender Matt Mills was a big money signing from Reading and has been a mainstay at the heart of the Foxes defence. As captain, leads by example and is a threat in the opposition box at corners and free-kicks."

:blink:

lol lol

I thought that.

Wow. This would seriously worry me if I was a Palace fan who knew anything about our team this season. He is way way off the mark with Beckford, and is clearly basing his opinion on what he expected of Beckford based on his past, not what he has delivered. Clearly the same with Mills, he has done zero homework. Just assumed because of his big money tranfer and the fact he is captain he is "at the heart" of our defence, when obviously we know this is not true. Do some homework Dougie, it is after all, your job.

I think he is partly right though. Beckford's hat-trick against Forest was superb.

Just stumbed across this online it seems Dougie Freedman is a big fan of our squad, although im not quite sure what hes been doing for last 6 months of the season with that last paragraph!

Original article: http://www.thisiscro...tail/story.html

your link doesn't work.

I don't think you can expect anyone bar someone who has their total career based around it, to be an expert at creating say, the top XI of a league.

It's simply ridiculous. His comments are based on total assumption and whilst you've got to laugh - you can't expect him to know it all about us. It's not his job.

If Claridge spoke this kind of shite then I'd agree with everyone because his career now is based around the Championship.

But for a manager of one club to do this... nah, don't think the stick is necessary. I'll laugh and it's a shame he does manage a club who can't afford Mills/Beckford. lol

I don't think you can expect anyone bar someone who has their total career based around it, to be an expert at creating say, the top XI of a league.

It's simply ridiculous. His comments are based on total assumption and whilst you've got to laugh - you can't expect him to know it all about us. It's not his job.

If Claridge spoke this kind of shite then I'd agree with everyone because his career now is based around the Championship.

But for a manager of one club to do this... nah, don't think the stick is necessary. I'll laugh and it's a shame he does manage a club who can't afford Mills/Beckford. lol

To be fair Dan he put his self forward in a newspaper as some sort of pundit , and went on to talk absolute tripe, So yes he does deserve some stick.

Reminds me of the time Dave Bassett spent the build up to a match v Spurs developing and practicing tactics designed to neutralise Gus Poyet. When the Spurs teamsheet arrived Poyet wasn't on it - he was suspended. DB thought this an hilarious anecdote for me it summed up his shambolic amateurism...

Reminds me of the time Dave Bassett spent the build up to a match v Spurs developing and practicing tactics designed to neutralise Gus Poyet. When the Spurs teamsheet arrived Poyet wasn't on it - he was suspended. DB thought this an hilarious anecdote for me it summed up his shambolic amateurism...

His brother Mike did better.

To be fair Dan he put his self forward in a newspaper as some sort of pundit , and went on to talk absolute tripe, So yes he does deserve some stick.

Fair enough. I mean if he's actually nominated himself to do this then yes, embarrassing.

Out of his depth.

Archived