Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheUltimateWinner

Leicester City keeper Kasper Schmeichel can be one of the greatest

Leicester City's highly-rated goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel can go on to emulate his famous father, Manchester United legend Peter Schmeichel.

That is the verdict of World Cup winner and City legend Gordon Banks, who was voted the second-best keeper of the 20th century.

• 3869099.png

Banks, who made more than 300 appearances during eight years with City, and won the 1966 World Cup with England while a Leicester player, has been impressed with what he has seen in 25-year-old Schmiechel during his first season with the club.

Schmeichel picked up the player of the year and players' player of the year accolades at the end of the last campaign, and he has been rewarded with a call-up into the Denmark Euro 2012 squad.

Banks said the Dane possesses plenty of talent, but while he admitted Kasper could go on to become as good as his dad, he had a lot of work to do to reach those lofty standards.

"I have saw him several times last season and he looked a good goalkeeper, not quite as good as his dad though," said Banks.

"He has a little way to go to get there.

"Yes, he can be as good as his dad, but that will take a lot of hard work on the training ground. When I was his age, I used to go back for extra sessions in the afternoon and work on my angles and have players firing shots at me.

"He needs to do that to really get right to the top.

"He commands his area, which I like, and he comes off his line for crosses and reads through-balls.

"I shouldn't be surprised by this because I know how light the modern balls are, but for a goalkeeper to be able to kick the ball that far so it lands on the edge of the other penalty box, I couldn't believe that.

"And he can pick out players with his kicking, which is impressive.

"It is easier to pick them out when you throw it than kick it, but he can pick them out like an outfield player."

Banks believes Schmeichel is a member of a City squad that can mount a serious promotion challenge next season, but he warned it could take a little time for everything to click into place. "There is a lot of expectation at the club, and Sven-Goran Eriksson spent a lot of money," said the 74-year-old.

"But when I watched them, I thought some of them might have been a little bit better than they performed last season.

"It always takes a while before people settle in and everyone gets to know each other's game. Maybe next season they can really start to show what they are capable of.

"Nigel Pearson is doing all right. As long as the new players can slot in and get to know each other's play, then they can challenge for promotion.

"He seems to be building a young side, which will mean they will have plenty of athleticism and speed.

"I think they are going in the right direction.

"The owners have given the managers money to spend and they still get good crowds. Let's hope they can do it."

I think he is decent, not great. No doubt he is the best goalkeeper since Walker.

I don't think he is the best goalkeeper in the league, but I think we would find it difficult to get a equal/better goalkeeper if he was sold.

"He commands his area, which I like, and he comes off his line for crosses."

no he doesn't, gordon.

The only way he commands his area is when he gives his defenders a bollocking right after the goal.

Only a top end championship keeper IMO.

Peter signed for Man U when he was 28, before that was at Brondby, so Kasper still has a chance!

Keepers tend to peak an awful lot later than outfield players, absolutely right.

That's why it's not uncommon for keepers to still be playing in their late 30s and early 40s these days.

Kasper's got plenty of time to emulate his dad.

Great keeper. Always liked him since he was at Man City. One thing he should work on though is his kicking when the ball is rolling back to him. I lost count of the number of times he kicked it straight out for a throw in this situation during some of the away games I was at!

Archived