Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grey Fox

Next season, style or substance?

Next season, style or substance?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. For next season, which would you prefer?

• A team that is well organised, concedes few, and wins enough games by the odd goal to finish in the top 2.
    • A team that is less well organised, likes to play entertaining, passing football, scores a lot of goals, but can't see enough games out and ends up finishing mid table. Along the way they will have been very entertaining, playing many sides off the park.

Why can't the first option also be entertaining?

I'm not saying we can't have both under Pearson, but some are saying they would rather not win games if it means not being entertaining. So the poll is to see how many think like that.

Why can't the first option also be entertaining?

That's not the question, this is determining which of the two options you would prefer. I think it's about proving the point that you all moan about the style of play when in actual fact if you had to choose between that and winning you'd choose winning everytime. At least most of you would.

That's not the question, this is determining which of the two options you would prefer. I think it's about proving the point that you all moan about the style of play when in actual fact if you had to choose between that and winning you'd choose winning everytime. At least most of you would.

Yes, that's the point exactly.

I don't think this is a particularly fair poll - we didn't get promoted or finish top 2 under NP last time did we, so the poll you just made is not actually the point that people were arguing.....

I think everyone would rather get promoted. However, if the question was "Would you rather play good/passing football and finish outside of the playoffs, or would you rather play longball/less exciting football and finish in the playoffs but not get promoted" then you might get a different set of answers.

Substance is only better if gets you results, and if you can't get results with stylish football. If you're not doing well either way, then I know which one I would prefer.

I don't think this is a particularly fair poll - we didn't get promoted or finish top 2 under NP last time did we, so the poll you just made is not actually the point that people were arguing.....

But this poll isn't about Nigel Pearson, it's a hypothetical question about whether people prefer winning football or entertaining football, which is what we were discussing in the other thread.

I think everyone would rather get promoted. However, if the question was "Would you rather play good/passing football and finish outside of the playoffs, or would you rather play longball/less exciting football and finish in the playoffs but not get promoted" then you might get a different set of answers.

Substance is only better if gets you results, and if you can't get results with stylish football. If you're not doing well either way, then I know which one I would prefer.

It's not about seasons past, it's about next season. If those were your choices, what would you chose?

Stupid poll, fewer and fewer teams get promoted by nicking 1-0s here and there. Sven had it right in his first season, if we'd performed like that all season we'd have made the playoffs with ease. It was the defence that let us down, even though Vitor and Naughton were the best defenders we've had since the MON era we were just a bit too all out attack but we had to be given the start. He truly did mess up in the Summer, though.

I honestly believe we progressed since Pearson left though, we learnt how to pass a football something we've struggled to do for more than 10 years. Since he came back we gradually got worse as worse as his old tired style started to creep back into the side.

Stupid poll, fewer and fewer teams get promoted by nicking 1-0s here and there. Sven had it right in his first season, if we'd performed like that all season we'd have made the playoffs with ease. It was the defence that let us down, even though Vitor and Naughton were the best defenders we've had since the MON era we were just a bit too all out attack but we had to be given the start. He truly did mess up in the Summer, though.

I honestly believe we progressed since Pearson left though, we learnt how to pass a football something we've struggled to do for more than 10 years. Since he came back we gradually got worse as worse as his old tired style started to creep back into the side.

It's no use getting promoted playing hoof ball unless we plan on removing the manager upon promotion. I don't believe that tactic works as much as it did anyway.

It doesn't say 1-0 wins necessarily, it says by the odd goal. That also means we could win 2-1, or even 3-2, but then that might be classed as too entertaining and void the poll.

Why did people feel the need to make this a Sven vs. Pearson poll, we can discuss that in other threads surely, this is just about winning football vs. attractive football.

It's not about seasons past, it's about next season. If those were your choices, what would you chose?

Obviously if we knew we weren't going to do well either way we'd all want to watch attractive passing football but we don't know do we? Ideally you'd want a strong organised team that plays attractive football, maybe that's what Pearson actually has in mind. We'll have more of an idea when the friendlies get underway

Obviously if we knew we weren't going to do well either way we'd all want to watch attractive passing football but we don't know do we? Ideally you'd want a strong organised team that plays attractive football, maybe that's what Pearson actually has in mind. We'll have more of an idea when the friendlies get underway

I agree, I too would like to play exactly as you describe. But what sparked the poll is when a couple of people started to say they would actually prefer not to get results as long as we were playing attractive, passing, entertaining football. So for the sake of simplicity, those are the only two options.

Archived