Spudulike Posted 26 July 2012 Posted 26 July 2012 Blimey, doesn't seem like it. Not sure if it feels like 'home' yet but it's at least got some history now. http://www.lcfc.com/page/ThisWeekinHistoryDetail/0,,10274~2861353,00.html
Simmo86 Posted 26 July 2012 Posted 26 July 2012 Can only remember 2 and a half decent atmospheres in the Walkers. Villa in the League Cup, Sheff Wed crunch home game and the 2nd half against Brum the same season! Feels like home to me though as unfortunatley I've spent more time watching Leicester there than at Filbo!
Bayfox Posted 26 July 2012 Posted 26 July 2012 that means I have spent almost half my city supporting time, at this hell hole, can we stop the reminders please. It will never feel like home to me, filbert st may have been shit but it was our shit. And consider this, since leaving filbert st, rubbish. derby, since leaving the baseball ground, majority of that time rubbish. Cov, ok they have always been rubbish, but they were rubbish in the top flight for a long while @ highfield road. Arsenal, what have they won since they left highbury!!
Out Foxed Posted 26 July 2012 Posted 26 July 2012 Can only remember 2 and a half decent atmospheres in the Walkers. Villa in the League Cup, Sheff Wed crunch home game and the 2nd half against Brum the same season! when we spanked Leeds.
Corky Posted 26 July 2012 Posted 26 July 2012 It's not been a special decade, we've had three good seasons, mostly mediocrity and financial problems. Crap, pointless goal music is another reason why we haven't quite settled in to the ground yet. Get rid of that and I think people will start to look a bit more favourably. There's been some great matches down there, no doubt, and some excellent atmospheres. Sadly, both have been few and far between.
ithuriel Posted 26 July 2012 Posted 26 July 2012 Very poor decade but Leeds have suffered even more than us and they never moved ground, shef weds too. There have been some very good games down there, thrashing Forest in the cup last season was fun
FoxyMusic Posted 26 July 2012 Posted 26 July 2012 Not sure about people saying there hasn't been any games with good atmosphere. A few below: 4-1 win against Millwall (Return of Dennis Wise and Mark McGhee) 3-2 win against Spurs in FA Cup 1-0 win against Leeds (Steve Howard) 3-0 win against Forest 0-1 defeat against Cardiff in the Play-offs. I know it was a defeat but it was a pretty good crowd and enjoyable game until they scored. 2-2 draw with Man City (sell out crowd) 1-2 defeat against Real Madrid (I don't care how much you dislike Sven now, you can't say you didn't enjoy the day) 3-0 win against Palace (Gallagher's 2 screamers and NP's return)
Guest bss9401 Posted 26 July 2012 Posted 26 July 2012 Good times will come. I watched City at Filbert Street for 20 years and we had many seasons when it was a dire home. Think of the 80's when we struggled to get 10000 in and the atmosphere was dead. I loved the place, growing up watching from pen 2 or 3 and the last 10 years were brilliant but I was more than happy when we moved on to Freemen's Wharf.
AdamN Posted 26 July 2012 Posted 26 July 2012 And consider this, since leaving filbert st, rubbish.derby, since leaving the baseball ground, majority of that time rubbish. Cov, ok they have always been rubbish, but they were rubbish in the top flight for a long while @ highfield road. Arsenal, what have they won since they left highbury!! Man City... what have they won since leaving Maine Road?
Spudulike Posted 26 July 2012 Author Posted 26 July 2012 Good times will come. I watched City at Filbert Street for 20 years and we had many seasons when it was a dire home. Think of the 80's when we struggled to get 10000 in and the atmosphere was dead. I loved the place, growing up watching from pen 2 or 3 and the last 10 years were brilliant but I was more than happy when we moved on to Freemen's Wharf. Agree with this. I too grew up on the Filbo terraces and didn't miss a home match of the Bloomfield years. Filbert Street was in it's prime then (apart from the fences in the Kop) but by the end, and the Taylor report forcing it to go all seater, it just wasn't the same place. The Carling Stand didn't help either and the place started to lose its old charm and character. I wasn't as upset to leave the old place as much as I thought I would (although seeing it being torn down was a tear-jerker) especially as the new stadium was just over the road. When people talk about Filbert Street I remember it as it was when I started going in the late sixties and early seventies not what it eventually became. The atmosphere was hair-raising at times but not always and people seem to forget that. Give us a team that we can get behind, cut the American match day experience and Freemen's Wharf will come into its own.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo Posted 26 July 2012 Posted 26 July 2012 Think I was too young to fully appreciate Filbert Street - I did like the "proper" feel of it and the FNF nights, I definitely don't miss the pillars I always seemed to get stuck behind! Granted, the KP Stadium has a bit of a generic feel to it, but I think the character will come with time and the memories made here. We just need another golden era (which may start in August - who knows?) and people will remember this place fondly in years to come
Spudulike Posted 26 July 2012 Author Posted 26 July 2012 Granted, the KP Stadium has a bit of a generic feel to it, but I think the character will come with time and the memories made here. We just need another golden era (which may start in August - who knows?) and people will remember this place fondly in years to come Couldn't ever call it the KP Stadium or the Walkers Stadium or any other sponsor's name. I think that stadium naming has also caused us some difficulty accepting it as 'home'.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo Posted 26 July 2012 Posted 26 July 2012 That's fair enough - I think that's the first time I've ever referred to it by its official name, was just because I was talking about the stadium itself in comparison to Filbert Street
Bayfox Posted 29 July 2012 Posted 29 July 2012 Man City... what have they won since leaving Maine Road? and how long did that take? that billion pounds may have helped as well.
Guest Col city fan Posted 29 July 2012 Posted 29 July 2012 Agree with this. I too grew up on the Filbo terraces and didn't miss a home match of the Bloomfield years. Filbert Street was in it's prime then (apart from the fences in the Kop) but by the end, and the Taylor report forcing it to go all seater, it just wasn't the same place. The Carling Stand didn't help either and the place started to lose its old charm and character. I wasn't as upset to leave the old place as much as I thought I would (although seeing it being torn down was a tear-jerker) especially as the new stadium was just over the road. When people talk about Filbert Street I remember it as it was when I started going in the late sixties and early seventies not what it eventually became. The atmosphere was hair-raising at times but not always and people seem to forget that. Give us a team that we can get behind, cut the American match day experience and Freemen's Wharf will come into its own. This
Corky Posted 29 July 2012 Posted 29 July 2012 and how long did that take? that billion pounds may have helped as well. They have been an established Premier League side in their current ground, having had years of yo-yoing before.
adam1 Posted 29 July 2012 Posted 29 July 2012 Can only remember 2 and a half decent atmospheres in the Walkers. Villa in the League Cup, Sheff Wed crunch home game and the 2nd half against Brum the same season! Feels like home to me though as unfortunatley I've spent more time watching Leicester there than at Filbo! I was at two of those games and completely agree with you (Villa and Sheff Wed).
Kitchandro Posted 29 July 2012 Posted 29 July 2012 It's not been a special decade, we've had three good seasons, mostly mediocrity and financial problems. Crap, pointless goal music is another reason why we haven't quite settled in to the ground yet. Get rid of that and I think people will start to look a bit more favourably. There's been some great matches down there, no doubt, and some excellent atmospheres. Sadly, both have been few and far between. Agree Corky. Aside from that, it's just not a particularly good stadium, it's boring as fvck, the only good thing about it football-wise is it's got a good capacity, though whilst we are in this league even that's a negative. People exaggerate with the lack of good atmosphere's at times, it's generally decent in comparison to most Championship clubs (though that isn't saying much as the standard overall is dire), last season is the worst it's been a lot of the time but we still had 2 or 3 very good ones, Hull and Derby are two from memory. Of course, most bad atmosphere's can be put down to an underperforming team and a negative fanbase, which would explain why last season was so bad.
flowwolf Posted 29 July 2012 Posted 29 July 2012 I still think it is a great ground for a club of our size and i'm sure if we get a winning team the atmosphere will get back to those heady days of the MON era. The one thing I have noticed is how mucky and grimy the outside is beginning to look, the stanchions have all black dirt under the bottom of them surely it would not take much to have them hosed down once a year ?
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.