Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxKing10

What Happened Against Shrewsbury?

So the fans who consider that supporting Leicester City means accepting everything that happens, condemn those of us who want to see the club take the kind of actions in pre-season that will properly prepare them to mount a promotion challenge when the season starts! They're like voters who refuse to change their views however badly the party they supported perform.

Some of us actually care enough to be critical and it is damned easy where Leicester City are concerned.

Even against a Hinckley team that eventually looked half-full of kids we had just 20 minutes of genuinely promising football and even then went soft once the game was won.

It seems impossible to get over to people that after more than a decade of serial underperformance broken only by an interlude down among the dead men of Dvision One.

City need to develop some ruthlessness and to gather a team which doesn't just want to win but wants to do so with attitude and as a habit. And the way to encourage that habit is in pre-season friendlies or why bother playing them at all?.

City have a habit of starting seasons slowly to the point that far too often they are virtual also-rans even before the beginning of October as far as the title or second place is concerned.

And while the diehard blue fans might not be concerned and might ignore any failings as they seem to do season after season, the reality is that without a change of attitude this club will win sod all.

Excuses just don't wash with me. So what that one Shrewsbury goal might have been offisde and the other an unexpected long-range effort that might well have missed on another day! The goals counted. And at the same time our brave new team scored nil and would have lost three points and gained nil had it been a league game - no matter what the tired excuses.

"Nil" is a condemnation of all we do on the training ground from one week to the next. Nil equals failure in capital letters. Whether at Shrewsbury or anywhere else.

Yes, I can do sympathy when the team is whacking shots off every part of the goal frame or being foiled by the heroics of an inspired goalkeeper. But I didn't hear anything like that and even if I had it wouldn't matter. Goals are goals and anything else is just malfunctioning.

So the fans who consider that supporting Leicester City means accepting everything that happens, condemn those of us who want to see the club take the kind of actions in pre-season that will properly prepare them to mount a promotion challenge when the season starts! They're like voters who refuse to change their views however badly the party they supported perform.

Some of us actually care enough to be critical and it is damned easy where Leicester City are concerned.

Even against a Hinckley team that eventually looked half-full of kids we had just 20 minutes of genuinely promising football and even then went soft once the game was won.

It seems impossible to get over to people that after more than a decade of serial underperformance broken only by an interlude down among the dead men of Dvision One.

City need to develop some ruthlessness and to gather a team which doesn't just want to win but wants to do so with attitude and as a habit. And the way to encourage that habit is in pre-season friendlies or why bother playing them at all?.

City have a habit of starting seasons slowly to the point that far too often they are virtual also-rans even before the beginning of October as far as the title or second place is concerned.

And while the diehard blue fans might not be concerned and might ignore any failings as they seem to do season after season, the reality is that without a change of attitude this club will win sod all.

Excuses just don't wash with me. So what that one Shrewsbury goal might have been offisde and the other an unexpected long-range effort that might well have missed on another day! The goals counted. And at the same time our brave new team scored nil and would have lost three points and gained nil had it been a league game - no matter what the tired excuses.

"Nil" is a condemnation of all we do on the training ground from one week to the next. Nil equals failure in capital letters. Whether at Shrewsbury or anywhere else.

Yes, I can do sympathy when the team is whacking shots off every part of the goal frame or being foiled by the heroics of an inspired goalkeeper. But I didn't hear anything like that and even if I had it wouldn't matter. Goals are goals and anything else is just malfunctioning.

Very good points made, we need to be ruthless as a team and that mentality to win games at all costs, whether it is pre season or not.

Very well put.

It seems that being concerned about a performance that is clearly below par means you can't be a leicester fan on this forum.

It was a preseason game, yes, so let's not get overboard reading too much in to it .... but Sir Alex wouldn't approach a pre-season game to not play well and create chances to win the game. He'd think that winning would be nice and relatively important as the habit of winning needs to start somewhere .... but the habit of playing well also needs to start somewhere and we have neither yet.

Finally a little balance I do worry about the idiocy that's sometimes written on here an it tends to be from the blue tinters who can see no wrong rather than the cynics who can see no right.

Keep it up.

Pre-season has and always will be about fitness, giving players a run out, fielding new signings and trying to get he team playing as a team, the result doesn't mean a thing.

Obviously a win would be a nice addition but the players wont look much into the result.

You are aware that was only our SECOND pre season game yesterday. Most players have had just 45 mins action before the game. Do you not think it is a tad early to be your usual pessamistic self?

You are aware that was only our SECOND pre season game yesterday. Most players have had just 45 mins action before the game. Do you not think it is a tad early to be your usual pessamistic self?

How many games have Shrewsbury played?

Oh and they've made 10 new signings as well.

The issue at hand and Pearson seems to have recognise it was one of attitude and attitude can have a massive impact on performance.

"I'm not going to try and gloss over that because it was a very lacklustre performance"

Pre-season has and always will be about fitness, giving players a run out, fielding new signings and trying to get he team playing as a team, the result doesn't mean a thing.

Obviously a win would be a nice addition but the players wont look much into the result.

The result doesn't matter, fair enough, but the performance does, and by all accounts it was crap.

Nothing whatsoever appears to have been learned from last season, we are still outnumbered and under pressure in midfield so we 'hoof' and give away possession.

The single biggest problem last season under NFP and so far nothing seems to have been done...... :frusty:

Actually I lie, we have bought a big lump to play up front so that we can kid ourselves that hoofing the ball forward is a legitimate tactic.... :nono:

The result doesn't matter, fair enough, but the performance does, and by all accounts it was crap.

Nothing whatsoever appears to have been learned from last season, we are still outnumbered and under pressure in midfield so we 'hoof' and give away possession.

The single biggest problem last season under NFP and so far nothing seems to have been done...... :frusty:

Actually I lie, we have bought a big lump to play up front so that we can kid ourselves that hoofing the ball forward is a legitimate tactic.... :nono:

Sums it up for me!

From what I saw of Futacs on Saturday, I think it's a bit unfair to just describe him as a 'big lump'.

Omfg its a ****ing friendly the players wont be at there best afrer the break along with everything else you lot really make a mountain out of a mole hill!!! Man utd drew with a pissin south africain team..... Does that mean there gonna get relegated .... I guess in your minds it does . Your all a bunch of tools

TOOLS , i guess that means we all useful then :P

Finally a little balance I do worry about the idiocy that's sometimes written on here an it tends to be from the blue tinters who can see no wrong rather than the cynics who can see no right.

Keep it up.

I'm sorry mate, I don't see Thracians post as at all balanced.

Not for the first time Thrac comes across as a frustrated football manager, albeit an intelligent one.

It was an experimental, pre season friendly. It wasn't a league opener. The two are miles apart in terms of preparation, atmosphere and everything else.

As for how we are going to be playing who knows?

I've seen as much exciting football under a Nigel Pearson side as I've seen boring stuff.

Get behind the team, give it time and analyse what we are doing and how we are doing it.

A friendly away at Shrewsbury? Pah... Means fook all in terms of how we are going to do at home against Peterborough.

And if you want some proper balance... Vardy looks like he's gonna be a real handful... Lightning quick and with a point to prove. Beckford wasn't playing, neither was Whitbread... There's some balance for ya!

I'm sorry mate, I don't see Thracians post as at all balanced.

Not for the first time Thrac comes across as a frustrated football manager, albeit an intelligent one.

It was an experimental, pre season friendly. It wasn't a league opener. The two are miles apart in terms of preparation, atmosphere and everything else.

As for how we are going to be playing who knows?

I've seen as much exciting football under a Nigel Pearson side as I've seen boring stuff.

Get behind the team, give it time and analyse what we are doing and how we are doing it.

A friendly away at Shrewsbury? Pah... Means fook all in terms of how we are going to do at home against Peterborough.

And if you want some proper balance... Vardy looks like he's gonna be a real handful... Lightning quick and with a point to prove. Beckford wasn't playing, neither was Whitbread... There's some balance for ya!

Opinions are like bum holes everyone's got one... Again if you see the two posts before mine they dd kind of agree... There are elements I took from it that gave me the impression it was a well balanced view...

If I had to summarise the result didn't worry me but the performance did... The main issue from what I'm told and heard on the radio was that the effort levels were well below where it should have been and we have no consistent system of play...

Whilst I agree that friendlies serve a number of uses' one of the primary aims has to be establishing how the team is to play and score goals... The lack of this to me is a worrying continuation from last term.

Don't get me wrong I'm not hitting the panic button yet and from what I understood from Thracein's neither is he but I do agree issues we had from last year are yet to be addressed. Roll on Burton fingers crossed for a better 'performance' if not result.

A

Opinions are like bum holes everyone's got one... Again if you see the two posts before mine they dd kind of agree... There are elements I took from it that gave me the impression it was a well balanced view...

If I had to summarise the result didn't worry me but the performance did... The main issue from what I'm told and heard on the radio was that the effort levels were well below where it should have been and we have no consistent system of play...

Whilst I agree that friendlies serve a number of uses' one of the primary aims has to be establishing how the team is to play and score goals... The lack of this to me is a worrying continuation from last term.

Don't get me wrong I'm not hitting the panic button yet and from what I understood from Thracein's neither is he but I do agree issues we had from last year are yet to be addressed. Roll on Burton fingers crossed for a better 'performance' if not result.

A

Good man...

How many games have Shrewsbury played?

Oh and they've made 10 new signings as well.

The issue at hand and Pearson seems to have recognise it was one of attitude and attitude can have a massive impact on performance.

Does how many games they have played matter??

Does how many games they have played matter??

you brought the number of games played into the debate I was just responding to what seemed like your justification for their lacklustre performance

From what I saw of Futacs on Saturday, I think it's a bit unfair to just describe him as a 'big lump'.

I accept that Futacs might be a decent player but given that the only service he is likely to get is the 'long ball' aimed up to him, we are unlikely to find out. Hence 'big lump'.

I don't think it's ever too early to start winning - and winning with attitude.

you brought the number of games played into the debate I was just responding to what seemed like your justification for their lacklustre performance

I meant does it matter how many Shrewsbury have played? I thought that would be pretty obvious... :rolleyes:

I can't believe all this about a friendly.Yes its nice to win but surely you'd take losing now so that we can put whatever was wrong against Shrewsbury right before the start of the season.Look what happened to Newcastle a couple of seasons ago against Leyton Orient was it someything like 8-1 defeat.How did they get on that season?

Archived