Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxKing10

What Happened Against Shrewsbury?

Some interesting 'revisionism' going on this morning.

The near universal reaction after the game was that not only did we lose, but we played poorly too, now we have posts telling us that we were not actually that bad....... :dunno:

As I neither went nor listened to the radio, I am somewhat in the dark. If someone who was present tells me we were shoddy, easily pressurised and forced into playing the long ball then this is all I know. This appeared to be the general consensus on saturday evening and that sounds pretty much like last season under NFP.

Anyone out there who actually did go care to put me straight?

I did. We were pretty bad, no one is denying that, just saying that it's not like there are absolutely no positives to take from it. And afterall it is just a friendly, it doesn't matter too much how we played.

I did. We were pretty bad, no one is denying that, just saying that it's not like there are absolutely no positives to take from it. And afterall it is just a friendly, it doesn't matter too much how we played.

You see, this is where I take issue.

Had we tried something different, a different set up, a different style perhaps and then lost, I could have taken that on board as an 'experiment' or an attempt to move forward.

But we didn't, from what i have heard we played the same old 4-4-2, resorting to the long ball when put under pressure. Same as last season in other words..... :(

NFP style 4-4-2 was rumbled back in the autumn of 2009, when King and Wellens started to get outnumbered and routinely overun. NFP countered by playing Oakley in a 'narrow right' position so that he could help out and has been trying (and failing) to make it work ever since.

You see, this is where I take issue.

Had we tried something different, a different set up, a different style perhaps and then lost, I could have taken that on board as an 'experiment' or an attempt to move forward.

But we didn't, from what i have heard we played the same old 4-4-2, resorting to the long ball when put under pressure. Same as last season in other words..... :(

NFP style 4-4-2 was rumbled back in the autumn of 2009, when King and Wellens started to get outnumbered and routinely overun. NFP countered by playing Oakley in a 'narrow right' position so that he could help out and has been trying (and failing) to make it work ever since.

Yeah but it's not like we went out trying to win the game massively, I could accept that point of view if we had played the line-up we expected to start the season with for 90 minutes, but we didn't, it was just a chance to see how different combinations of strikers/central midfielders etc. worked. Quite a few of the players who played on saturday aren't going to be starting games regularly in the Championship, so I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Did Shrewsbury play well by the way?

As were a bigger a club, we should fully expect to play well and win in a friendly against lowly Shrewsbury anyway though. Whoever heard of a Championship club being beaten by a League One side. Unacceptable.

Pearson out. :@:@

Did Shrewsbury play well by the way?

Yeah I thought they looked pretty good to be fair, certainly for a club who have just been promoted from League Two. They did a great job of stopping us getting going and to be fair to them looked pretty good going forward. We still should have been beating them really but it is only pre-season so nothing to worry about. As I said earlier if we were drawn away to a League One side full of momentum in the cup we wouldn't be talking about it like it would be a walkover, and as you would expect neither was this. We'll get better as we get closer to the start of the season I think.

Thanks Mark. Its always good to give opposition credit were due. I can understand people being a bit disappointed but fretting about the upcoming season because of it is a bit over the top for me. Each to their own though eh.

Off topic, but reminded me ...

Marbella dave .... Talking about when we have tried something different and experimented .... reminds me of the one game Gary Parker was manager .... He obviously really wanted to play neat passing football, and attack attack attack ...... Unfortunately it was a bit too different and we lost 6-0 .... but you could see he was trying something different!!

I am firmly in the results of pre-season friendlies don't matter camp, I am not fussed that we lost, but I don't understand this argument that the match was just a "fitness friendly", it doesn't matter what kind of match it is we should be playing to win and I don't understand any reasoning why we did not do our best to win the match. Fine, we want to get match fit, but that is done by playing with the full intensity of a league match.

The Shrews website has a fairly lengthy review of the match and by the sounds of it we weren't that bad and certainly had chances including this one which made me laugh:

Leicester had three decent chances inside the first five minutes. The first of them came when Jermaine Grandison’s back pass fell well short and let in Lloyd Dyer stood completely alone down the left channel. But the winger looked so surprised that he didn’t have a clue what to do with the ball and promptly passed it straight to a grateful Darren Jones.

http://www.shrewsbur...spx?pageValue=1

So I am not too disheartened, but regardless of team, fitness, motivation, formation, we should be good enough to beat Shrewsbury and we didn't so it is natural to be disappointed that we didn't perform like the superior team we all hope we are.

Yeah but it's not like we went out trying to win the game massively, I could accept that point of view if we had played the line-up we expected to start the season with for 90 minutes, but we didn't, it was just a chance to see how different combinations of strikers/central midfielders etc. worked. Quite a few of the players who played on saturday aren't going to be starting games regularly in the Championship, so I don't see what all the fuss is about.

The 'fuss' is all about City playing in a certain way, which is rarely effective and doing nothing to change it..... :nono:

It's very early days and I really don't want to overdo the criticism but after nine months and what, 8-9 new signings, we are pretty much back where we were a few months into the 2009-10 season. I find this disappointing...... :dunno:

Thanks Mark. Its always good to give opposition credit were due. I can understand people being a bit disappointed but fretting about the upcoming season because of it is a bit over the top for me. Each to their own though eh.

I always fret about City, it's what I do, in my 'football life' anyway. In my defence, I will try and explain why I am fretting though...... :rolleyes:

Off topic, but reminded me ...

Marbella dave .... Talking about when we have tried something different and experimented .... reminds me of the one game Gary Parker was manager .... He obviously really wanted to play neat passing football, and attack attack attack ...... Unfortunately it was a bit too different and we lost 6-0 .... but you could see he was trying something different!!

I hope that wasn't a game that mattered........ lol

NFP likes to play 4-4-2 but really does not have the players to do so. We have no really effective wide players and, as far as I can see, no central midfield pairing solid enough to do the job. Even worse, this has been the case the whole time he has been manager at the club yet we are still trying to make it work, even when we have the perfect opportunity to try something different...... :dunno:

I have to admit that I agree about concerns about 4-4-2 and I'd like to see a 433/451 formation, at least in certain games. I personally feel that against any 3 man center midfield 4-4-2 just doesn't cut it unless you have top quality players.

I just prefer to try and be positive and I won't dismiss Pearson's ability at this end of the season with at least five players in the squad I have not seen play.

I have to admit that I agree about concerns about 4-4-2 and I'd like to see a 433/451 formation, at least in certain games. I personally feel that against any 3 man center midfield 4-4-2 just doesn't cut it unless you have top quality players.

I just prefer to try and be positive and I won't dismiss Pearson's ability at this end of the season with at least five players in the squad I have not seen play.

It would be good if we were able to switch between 433/442/451 as situations need, but I think first thing first and that is being able to play in one formation, the problem I see time and time again is that against above average opposition we seem unable to impose our style and formation on the game and get overrun, if we can impose ourselves and dictate how the game is played then it doesn't matter what formation they are playing.

It would be good if we were able to switch between 433/442/451 as situations need, but I think first thing first and that is being able to play in one formation, the problem I see time and time again is that against above average opposition we seem unable to impose our style and formation on the game and get overrun, if we can impose ourselves and dictate how the game is played then it doesn't matter what formation they are playing.

I agree and hope we can impose ourselves more this season. As an attacking force I'm hoping that Futacs and Vardy can offer something different to last year. We'll soon find out I guess.

Well I think Marshall will be that wide player we need and danns( before his injury) was looking like one of the best attacking midfielders in the division. For me danns is like having a new signing given his absence for the latter part of the season. I have huge hopes for him his season and believe he is one of the most exciting prospects we have had in years.

Danns was on Sapcote Rd last tuesday about 40 mins before KO and didnt have a clue where the Hinckley ground was.

Very polite and pleasant as he asked 'errr' directions.Luckily Id spent Monday in Liverpool so didnt need a translator.

On the pitch Im sure he'lll be effective once hes up to full speed.

I listened to Pearson after the game, he wasn't happy. Didn't sound like he was expecting a defeat nor a lack luster performance but he got one, all the same!

I read a few Twitter comments before the game and it sounded like they were off for a day at the park rather than being up for a 'big' game. The sooner that they realize every game is important the better. If for no other reason than that's what the fans expect.

I am starting to question the motivational skills here, he talks a good game but time and again they fail to lesser teams which was a constant last season.

I agree and hope we can impose ourselves more this season. As an attacking force I'm hoping that Futacs and Vardy can offer something different to last year. We'll soon find out I guess.

I can't remember us imposing ourselves on an opposition much since some (not all, and probably not the majority even) under MON ..... Apart from that lovely spell of around 10 games under Sven, where we looked awesome .... and maybe that's what we / I can't get out of my head when thinking about NP and this season.

I can't remember us imposing ourselves on an opposition much since some (not all, and probably not the majority even) under MON ..... Apart from that lovely spell of around 10 games under Sven, where we looked awesome .... and maybe that's what we / I can't get out of my head when thinking about NP and this season.

Under NP the first time we would impose our style and formation on the game, we didn't necessarily dominate the game, but we kept our shape, we didn't let the opposition disrupt our game plan and put us on the back foot because we were disciplined and organised and, admittedly, had a fairly basic style of play under. Sven we had the quality of players to roll over weak teams, but anyone that wanted to get stuck in to us could just knock us off our game and dictate the match.

I listened to Pearson after the game, he wasn't happy. Didn't sound like he was expecting a defeat nor a lack luster performance but he got one, all the same!

I read a few Twitter comments before the game and it sounded like they were off for a day at the park rather than being up for a 'big' game. The sooner that they realize every game is important the better. If for no other reason than that's what the fans expect.

I am starting to question the motivational skills here, he talks a good game but time and again they fail to lesser teams which was a constant last season.

A big ****ing game?! It was SHREWSBURY in a pre-season training match.

The 'fuss' is all about City playing in a certain way, which is rarely effective and doing nothing to change it..... :nono:

It's very early days and I really don't want to overdo the criticism but after nine months and what, 8-9 new signings, we are pretty much back where we were a few months into the 2009-10 season. I find this disappointing...... :dunno:

I always fret about City, it's what I do, in my 'football life' anyway. In my defence, I will try and explain why I am fretting though...... :rolleyes:

I hope that wasn't a game that mattered........ lol

NFP likes to play 4-4-2 but really does not have the players to do so. We have no really effective wide players and, as far as I can see, no central midfield pairing solid enough to do the job. Even worse, this has been the case the whole time he has been manager at the club yet we are still trying to make it work, even when we have the perfect opportunity to try something different...... :dunno:

You touch on a constant concerning 4-4-2. However you perm our existing players 4-4-2 has major flaws and has to be modified to 3-5-2 as often as possible to get the best out of ourselves.

We just don't do that often enough because we're so safety first and yet the way we actually perform is not "safe" at all, especially at right back and centre-back from past experience.

The back line is too detached from the remainder of the team, two central midfield players are never enough and, without five in midfield, the need to press with pace and width exposes weakness through the centre.

Couldn't agree more.

No it wasn't a constant.

We're you not at the Norwich game?

Possibly the most passionate and committed game I've seen in years both in terms of the players and the fans.

Come on mate, get a bit of balance and perspective. Christ, if you're talking about motivational skills id have Pearson over Sven every day of the week.

One of the things I really like about Pearson is that he dont often make excuses. If he thinks we have been shite, he'll generally say so.

Archived