Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fleckneymike

Why is there no Electric Youth Thread?

I think they're ok, just 25 years too late.

She has got a good voice, and they do what they do well, it's just that to me, what they do is pretty much irrelevant now.

I discovered Twin Shadow recently, and couldn't believe how closely he's ripped off the sound of The Police, Springsteen and New Order among others. I quite like the music that he is, and the music this act are, so heavily influenced by, but there's something I don't like about the idea of reviving an obsolete era. It makes me think that artists are starting to give up on trying to create something brand new, and are instead content to rehash something that's way past its sell by date. I think it's just a bit depressing to think that one day, all music might just be a remake of something we've already heard, because no-one has any new ideas.

Turns out Electric Youth are named after the Debbie Gibson album.

I think it's a lot easier to come up something that sounds like it's from the past than it is to come up with something that sounds like it's from the future, like this,

I think they're ok, just 25 years too late.

She has got a good voice, and they do what they do well, it's just that to me, what they do is pretty much irrelevant now.

I discovered Twin Shadow recently, and couldn't believe how closely he's ripped off the sound of The Police, Springsteen and New Order among others. I quite like the music that he is, and the music this act are, so heavily influenced by, but there's something I don't like about the idea of reviving an obsolete era. It makes me think that artists are starting to give up on trying to create something brand new, and are instead content to rehash something that's way past its sell by date. I think it's just a bit depressing to think that one day, all music might just be a remake of something we've already heard, because no-one has any new ideas.

Turns out Electric Youth are named after the Debbie Gibson album.

I think it's a lot easier to come up something that sounds like it's from the past than it is to come up with something that sounds like it's from the future, like this,

Yes Yes Yes. Was talking to my brother the other day who has great taste in music but he was saying he never listens to new music anymore because there so much great music from the past (60s and 70s) that needs catching up on. I get his point, but I'm quite the reverse. There's so much great new music all the time, that I don't have to go back and catch up on what I missed, or I'll miss what's happening now.

Yes Yes Yes. Was talking to my brother the other day who has great taste in music but he was saying he never listens to new music anymore because there so much great music from the past (60s and 70s) that needs catching up on. I get his point, but I'm quite the reverse. There's so much great new music all the time, that I don't have to go back and catch up on what I missed, or I'll miss what's happening now.

I think I'm somewhere in the middle. I'd say I probably listen to more old music than new, just because there's a lot more of it, but you're right - it is important not to miss what's going on right now.

I think new music should sound new or at least relevant. I can't see much point in it otherwise.

flippin heck , that battles race in is even worse !

it's just 1960's psychedelia like the intro to baba o'reilly

I'm not quite sure whether you're serious.

If you are, it sounds absolutely nothing like it to me. Let me know if you think of a better example, because if Battles ripped someone else's sound off, I'd love to hear what it was they copied.

Maybe that track was a bad example of Battles' work. I think they've written some of the least derivative music I've ever heard. I'd be interested to know if this reminds anyone of anything,

http://youtu.be/t6tL6-EyT3k

Sorry Rawdy :thumbup:

it sounds as jangly as the baba o'reilly intro to me , but with an added tinny drum and whistling that makes it worse .

I'm just a miserable old git though and will always moan about new music :D

Other than notable exceptions such as Trav , most people seem to prefer the music of their youth and never fully appreciate newer stuff for some reason , :thumbup:

My theory (and that's all it is) is that most people like music that they associate with something good that was happening at the time, hence liking music of your youth. Another thing is that you have time to listen to music, when you're young - then "responsibilities" come along and people place extra expectations on you that have nothing to do with music (except that you will have a specific liking for music of your youth). Having children further drives this home (even given the advantage that you'll be able to listen to your kids music to keep up to date). I've never had kids so never been expected to "act like a grownup!", whatever that means.

I wouldn't say I don't have time for old music, I enjoy it too, I just don't hold it as being a standard to which all newer music has never attained. When I'm at work I really like listening to Brian Matthews' Sound of the 60s on Radio 2 Saturday morning, because he plays little known stuff from the 60s or stuff that's been "forgotten" that is really quite excellent.

I flipping hate commercial radio stations that seem to have a playlist of 100 songs for the week, of which they will only change 10-20 for the next week. Especially the one that lies that they have "more musical variety." :angry:

Battles sound like XTC, Animal Collective, some Arab Strap plus doubtless others.

Everything ultimately is a copy

I disagree that Battles sound much like XTC or Arab Strap, but I can see where you're coming from with Animal Collective. However, I can only hear minor similarities.

I suppose it is all relative. There's centuries worth of music out there, and more being added all the time, so it's already difficult to write music that sounds new, and getting more difficult every day. What I'm saying is Battles is one of very few recent acts who have written music that sounds the least like anything else I've heard. Perhaps there is something older that they were heavily influenced by, but until I've heard it, I'll carry on thinking they're one of the most modern sounding bands out there today.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say acts like Twin Shadow and Electric Youth are, without a doubt, from the 1980s. I'd be able to enjoy their work a lot more if I didn't know they wrote their music thirty years after the artists whose sound they share wrote theirs.

Sorry Rawdy :thumbup:

it sounds as jangly as the baba o'reilly intro to me , but with an added tinny drum and whistling that makes it worse .

I'm just a miserable old git though and will always moan about new music :D

Other than notable exceptions such as Trav , most people seem to prefer the music of their youth and never fully appreciate newer stuff for some reason , :thumbup:

:D Don't worry about it. I was just a bit surprised by the example you gave.

I wasn't expecting anyone else to like it, and that would be off topic, really. It's more a question of being able to pinpoint an era just from hearing a piece of music. The more difficult it is for people to say with certainty when a song was written just from hearing it, the more likely it is they will think it's brand new. As I say, with all the music that's already been written, I think artists that do achieve this should get more credit because it's not easy, and becoming less so all the time.

My theory (and that's all it is) is that most people like music that they associate with something good that was happening at the time, hence liking music of your youth. Another thing is that you have time to listen to music, when you're young...

I think that's right. Definitely.

I flipping hate commercial radio stations that seem to have a playlist of 100 songs for the week, of which they will only change 10-20 for the next week. Especially the one that lies that they have "more musical variety." :angry:

Same here. Having worked in places that force you to listen to commercial radio all day every day, I'm surprised it doesn't send more people round the bend. It's the playlists that do it. There should be more stations that let the DJs play whatever they want to, and the DJs they hire should be the closest they can find to the opposite of Chris Moyles.

Archived