Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
chili_con_carne

Wickham?

What has Wickham ever done for everyone to want him?! 16 goals in 91 appearances is an absolutely dreadful record. That's 1 goal every 5 and a half games. He's got an attitude and hasn't got a sniff at Sunderland this year, just shows you he's not that good otherwise a struggling Sunderland would have used him. If we were to go into the loan market I'm sure there are better players available than Wickham.

What has Wickham ever done for everyone to want him?! 16 goals in 91 appearances is an absolutely dreadful record. That's 1 goal every 5 and a half games. He's got an attitude and hasn't got a sniff at Sunderland this year, just shows you he's not that good otherwise a struggling Sunderland would have used him. If we were to go into the loan market I'm sure there are better players available than Wickham.

Butt he wuz gud on fifa wen he wuz yung

Well who else is there? Vardy is a league 1 striker, waghorn seems to think the goal is in the crowd somewhere, and futacs i really don't know?

We're top. We might not have the best strike force in the league but it isn't that bad.

Just to reiterate, WE'RE TOP OF THE LEAGUE.

TOP.

Having a cracking striker up top alongside Nuge would be icing on the cake but it doesn't work like that. It's like when people say "we should just buy <leading championship scorer>" , stick them in our team and they might be poor. Same with Beckford, he could bag 20 for Hudds, but the fact is he wasn't very good here. People will still moan that we should have kept him though. Just like a thread has already been started today when he scored.

We're top. We might not have the best strike force in the league but it isn't that bad.

Just to reiterate, WE'RE TOP OF THE LEAGUE.

TOP.

I think people are just suggesting how we could be even better! I don't think people are disappointed with how we're doing but are perhaps a little frustrated in knowing that we could be succeeding even more than we are now! Perhaps it's quite arrogant to want even more than we already have but I don't like putting a limit on our ambitions in the championship.

I think people are just suggesting how we could be even better! I don't think people are disappointed with how we're doing but are perhaps a little frustrated that we aren't doing even better! Perhaps it's quite arrogant to want even more than we already have but I don't like putting a limit on our ambitions in the championship.

I guess but you do make a good point about it being slightly arrogant.

Look, was anybody on here raving about Charlie Austin before he moved to Burnley and had a great season there? If so then fair enough but I bet that the majority wouldn't have had any idea about him. Vardy was a goal machine in the lower leagues, he could turn out to be a star for us.

My point is that it's hard to just 'bring in' a goal scorer and guarantee they'll be a success.

Well who else is there? Vardy is a league 1 striker, waghorn seems to think the goal is in the crowd somewhere, and futacs i really don't know?

Someone like Adam Morgan or Samed Yesil from Liverpool is probably a better shout than Wickham. Wickham is so over-hyped purely because he's a decent English player.

Hahaha. Jeeze alright then ! I think what your trying to say is that I'm being negative? The fact is if we had a top striker we would have won the game. waghorn missed an open goal from 2 yards out. those 2 points lost could be crucial come may.

were you there to see it? :ph34r:

Look, was anybody on here raving about Charlie Austin before he moved to Burnley and had a great season there? If so then fair enough but I bet that the majority wouldn't have had any idea about him. Vardy was a goal machine in the lower leagues, he could turn out to be a star for us.

My point is that it's hard to just 'bring in' a goal scorer and guarantee they'll be a success.

I agree, I think there's a bit too much of a rush to ship in new players because we're less than perfect. I think we should work with what we've got rather than think about transfers. I'd like to think Vardy is capable of scoring regularly but if it doesn't happen for him then it would be wise to look at bringing someone in to put the ball in the net. If I were to name a weakness in the team then I would say it is our cutting edge, but I think that will improve as Vardy continues to play games in the championship.

Having said this, it's not as if Vardy doesn't contribute if he doesn't score. He is often commended for his workrate and he probably adds more to the team than it appears, things that go on in the background that aren't so easy to notice. I noticed this on the Football League site http://actim.pressassociation.com/ , they've put Vardy at 16th in terms of overall contribution. I don't know how much we should rely on this study but it does suggest that Vardy contributes a lot to the team despite his "lack" of goals - 4 out of 12 isn't too bad anyway.

Hahaha. Jeeze alright then ! I think what your trying to say is that I'm being negative? The fact is if we had a top striker we would have won the game. waghorn missed an open goal from 2 yards out. those 2 points lost could be crucial come may.

But do have Vardy, Nugent and Beckford previously, it's harsh to pin everything on him because I heard several people miss chances today.

I'd love some fantastic finisher here but they cost lots of money. If we are there or there abouts come Jan Pearson can switch things about, sell a player/get some cash out of the owners and try and get one.

I guess but you do make a good point about it being slightly arrogant.

I don't have a burning desire for us to sign Charlie Austin but he's a better player than Vardy. He was linked with Championship clubs left right and centre when he was banging goals in for Swindon, and before they signed him he was the dictionary definition of a lower league goal machine.

Vardy is hard working industrious and whilst he is far from clinical at this level he knows where the goal is, imo he'll do for now but unless he improves dramatically I can't ever see him being a "star". Especially if we go up.

Having said this, it's not as if Vardy doesn't contribute if he doesn't score. He is often commended for his workrate and he probably adds more to the team than it appears, things that go on in the background that aren't so easy to notice. I noticed this on the Football League site http://actim.pressassociation.com/ , they've put Vardy at 16th in terms of overall contribution. I don't know how much we should rely on this study but it does suggest that Vardy contributes a lot to the team despite his "lack" of goals - 4 out of 12 isn't too bad anyway.

Actim is usually a pretty good guide and it proves he's more of an asset to the team than some think. Vardy's movement, positioning and pace helps the team as a whole and if that means it opens the door for someone else to score and we win then I'm happy.

He is a striker though and strikers are judged on how many goals they score but sometimes unfairly like goalkeepers conceding if you get my drift.

He's missed a few chances sure but he's getting into the right positions and you don't become a bad finisher overnight and Vardy has proved he can finish and score goals despite what division it was in as he still had to put the ball in the net and 4 goals from 12 isn't bad like you say if he's helping the team in other ways.

I think it's laughable that some are calling him a League 1 striker this early on in the season.

Actim is usually a pretty good guide and it proves he's more of an asset to the team than some think. Vardy's movement, positioning and pace helps the team as a whole and if that means it opens the door for someone else to score and we win then I'm happy.

He is a striker though and strikers are judged on how many goals they score but sometimes unfairly like goalkeepers conceding if you get my drift.

He's missed a few chances sure but he's getting into the right positions and you don't become a bad finisher overnight and Vardy has proved he can finish and score goals despite what division it was in as he still had to put the ball in the net and 4 goals from 12 isn't bad like you say if he's helping the team in other ways.

I think it's laughable that some are calling him a League 1 striker this early on in the season.

I think he's almost there, he's so close to being a man who could get 20+ in one season which really is incredible considering his leap up the divisions. Bits of misfortune here and there in front of goal have prevented him from getting a few more but so what? He clearly contributes a lot to the team and I think most people realise this - as shown by the poll on who people would prefer partnering Nugent.

I'm glad most people believe in him, I certainly do and I hope he keeps playing, genuinely think he'll get a good number of goals if he keeps getting picked.

Archived