Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BlueBlue

Neil Danns

Maybe there isn't anyone better than Vardy at the club currently, however the loan window is open....

Back to the point and you cant say the Danns is being outclassed by anyone as he has not been given the game time James etc have to prove that point one way or the other.

This is a principled non footballing decision, and given our relatively small squad for me we are cutting off our nose to spite our face.

However I am not the Manager.

James is third choice, Drinkwater and King have formed a good partnership.

How is it a principled non footballing decision, given that for much of his time with us Danns hasn't been that great?

I thought the majority of this board rated Danns last year, Pearson doesn't play him and the majority seem to be claiming that he's rubbish.

Beckford didn't score in 80% of his games apparently, he'd probably be scoring a lot more with our current style of play.

He wanted to leave but nobody ever asks why?

As for the 80% figure, we currently have Nugent in the team, no surprise that because NFP picks him nobody is questioning his form.

Personally I'd have Danns training with first team, we'll probably need him soon and rather him than Gallagher or Wellens.

No bugger could pass last year mainly due to a lack of movement.

I thought the majority of this board rated Danns last year, Pearson doesn't play him and the majority seem to be claiming that he's rubbish.

Beckford didn't score in 80% of his games apparently, he'd probably be scoring a lot more with our current style of play.

As for the 80% figure, we currently have Nugent in the team, no surprise that because NFP picks him nobody is questioning his form.

Personally I'd have Danns training with first team, we'll probably need him soon and rather him than Gallagher or Wellens.

And we had technically crap players like Danns.

He is training with the first team, except when the match day squad get together, and he isn't in it, then he trains with the others while the squad work on tactics and specifics for the match that are of no interest to those not in the squad.

Love this forum's sudden turnaround on Danns, now he doesn't play you all act as if you never rated him.

Danns was one of our best midfielders last season, that was because king was injured and drinkwater was finding his feet we have since signed James and knockaert and Marshall and drinkwater have settled and found their form.

Last season Danns was better than wellens, Johnson, Fernandes, Gallagher, Abe, and anyone else I missed. But that is not saying much, we were poor last season especially in midfield and now seeing how a real team works together we have seen how poor we were last season and Danns was part of that.

We were disorganised, ill disciplined, and inconsistent last season all traits that I associate with Danns.

I thought this after the Palace game. Everyone comes down to the King Power and plays 4-5-1. So match up with them, play an extra midfielder, don't get overrun in the middle of the park whilst knowing that with Knocky playing inside we've got that something special to open a defensive team up.

I got my white board out to explain this to my girlfriend a couple of days ago but after 10 minutes of patient explanation of the system she started crying and left the room.

good idea, because Nigels formation hasn't worked for the previous 6 home games now has it.. dear lord, one poor day at the office and we need wide scale formation changes... nothing like a good old panic!!

Defensively we don't have a problem, we consistently limit teams to 2 or 3 chances a game, we have the second best defensive record in the league, apart from Palace and Burton, we have dominated and controlled the majority of the games, carving out numerous chances and conceding very few.

We don't need to change things defensively, we just need to put more of our chances away and we would be winning this league comfortably, even against Palace we created 4 clear cut chances, 2 were cleared off the line and 2 were saved by the keeper when the attacker should have done better.

this....

Danns was one of our best midfielders last season, that was because king was injured and drinkwater was finding his feet we have since signed James and knockaert and Marshall and drinkwater have settled and found their form.

Last season Danns was better than wellens, Johnson, Fernandes, Gallagher, Abe, and anyone else I missed. But that is not saying much, we were poor last season especially in midfield and now seeing how a real team works together we have seen how poor we were last season and Danns was part of that.

We were disorganised, ill disciplined, and inconsistent last season all traits that I associate with Danns.

The whole team was disorganised, ill disciplined and inconsistent!

This year it isn't?

How on earth do you know Danns would be this season?

Massive massive assumption!

Preaching to the quire there mate, I've been saying the same thing even when he was having his purple patch. He runs around loads and gets stuck in but he leaves gaps all over the shop. It was no wonder our midfield was getting overun by the Barnsleys of the league last season, it was a piss take.

This year it isn't?

I don't, but if I had to describe Danns worst points, it would be ill disciplined and inconsistent. One of the reasons we have been consistent and disciplined has been our midfield. They have controlled and dominated a number of games without fouling a lot and running around like headless chickens.

Maybe Danns would thrive in this team, but I saw nothing last season or this to suggest this. Whereas drinkwater and Morgan whilst not at their best last season still managed to show signs of their ability and composure albeit only in fits and starts.

Preaching to the quire there mate, I've been saying the same thing even when he was having his purple patch. He runs around loads and gets stuck in but he leaves gaps all over the shop. It was no wonder our midfield was getting overun by the Barnsleys of the league last season, it was a piss take.

I don't think he is shit and he was the best of a bad bunch last season, he is a poor man's Robbie savage, not that is anything wrong with that type of player, we just don't play in a way that suits him, he would be perfect in a MON style team or a McCarthy style team, or Pearson's hull.

But not a passing side that builds pressure and controls the game by maintaining possession and defends in a controlled disciplined manner as a team.

This year it isn't?

He was very average last season and we finished midtable.

This season he's not in the squad and we are in the top 2.

I don't see where the issue is.

Of course you can assume Danns would be no better than last season, otherwise we'd just be persisting with him for the rest of his career on the basis he might be better next season.

He was very average last season and we finished midtable.

This season he's not in the squad and we are in the top 2.

I don't see where the issue is.

Thats probably more to do with the absence of the snail like Abe & Wellens & the loose canons Mills & Bamba tbf , not to mention Gallagher ...

Maybe there isn't anyone better than Vardy at the club currently, however the loan window is open....

Back to the point and you cant say the Danns is being outclassed by anyone as he has not been given the game time James etc have to prove that point one way or the other.

This is a principled non footballing decision, and given our relatively small squad for me we are cutting off our nose to spite our face.

However I am not the Manager.

I disagree completely. When we didn't have as many options last season, Danns got plenty of game time. Now we've got King back on form, Drinkwater's stepped up his game and we've signed Matty James, things are different. Unfortunately for Danns, King and Drinkwater have established themselves as first choice and, for whatever reason, he rates James more highly than Danns; presumably because he would slot into our existing set up and style of play - quick, accurate passing and retention of posession =- with more success than Danns would.

Is this not possible? Tthat Pearson simply rates our current options more highly than Neil Danns? You can't keep everyone happy all the time. The same is obviously happening with Futacs, but because Danns is a high profile player on a massive contract, there has to be some big fall-out or a non-footballing reason why he's not playing. I'm 99% sure there isn't. Pearson simply rates his first choice and back up options higher than Neil Danns and, so far, our results have vindicated his selection in midfield because King and Drinkwater have been, for the large part, absolutely superb this season and Matty James has looked an adequate deputy when he has come on.

Danns will have to just bide his time. If he's a professional, he'll accept this, get his head down and work hard so that when there is an inevitable injury, he'll be ready to prove a point and play his way back into the team.

I've always criticised him because I think the flaws in his game are obvious to see. I will admit though, that he did have a bit of a purple patch last season for about 6 or 7 games. Even during this spell, I still think his inadequacies were quite plain to see and it was one of them - his inability to time and execute a challenge - that brought this spell to an end.

I don't buy the notion that he would be scoring loads of goals in this side - he started the season as first choice and played himself out of contention with a series of poor performances where he never looked like scoring and was subsequently dropped. It's obvious he wanted to leave because he wanted to be at a club where he was first choice and playing week in week out. the thing is, with Vardy's injury and Nugent's drop in form recently, he would probably be back in the side now if he'd just bided his time, been patient and worked hard in training. Do we really want a player like that in the side? Who demands to be first choice without being willing to put in the effort to earn that place?

I've certainly questioned Nugent's form lately - he's been wasteful and spurned far too many easy chances. If he were Waghorn, he'd probably have been crucified by half the posters on FT by now. But the reality is that due to Beckford's poor attitude and unwillingness to work hard and earn his place in the side or until we bring in someone on loan, Vardy and Nugent will remain first choice solely because they are the best of the strikers we have. I would imagine any move for another striker is dependent on us getting Beckford off the books in Janaury.

He does train with the first team in the most part. The way first team training is structured means that a couple of days before the game, the squad for that game goes into match preparation training and any players who aren't going to be involved in the squad continue their training with the U21's, rather than do a load of focus training on opposition they're not going to face. This won't be just Danns, this will be anyone outside of the match day squad. At the moment, King and Drinky deserve their starting berths in midfield and NP obviously thinks James is the better option off the bench - that's Pearson's prerogative. As such, there's no place for Danns in the squad at the minute, in the same way that there's no place for Gallagher or Wellens either.

Thats probably more to do with the absence of the snail like Abe & Wellens & the loose canons Mills & Bamba tbf , not to mention Gallagher ...

Oh right, so Danns was actually world class and the rest of the midfield and our defence were letting him down? At least Gallagher had technical skill and an eye for goal, even if he did blow hot and cold. At least Wellens could retain the ball and pick out a pass, even if he was a bit slow. At least Abe could time his tackles and win and retain the ball. Danns was the worst of the bunch for me as he couldn't really do the simple things well, or if he could he never did them consistently enough. He always looked busy and energetic but he flattered to deceive. Still, none of those players were really good enough to be first team players in a Championship challenging side and therein lies the reason why we have almost an entirely different midfield now and I don't think it's any coincidence that we're performing a lot better.

I thought this after the Palace game. Everyone comes down to the King Power and plays 4-5-1. So match up with them, play an extra midfielder, don't get overrun in the middle of the park whilst knowing that with Knocky playing inside we've got that something special to open a defensive team up.

I got my white board out to explain this to my girlfriend a couple of days ago but after 10 minutes of patient explanation of the system she started crying and left the room.

Was that because she favoured a 4-3-3 ???

Who said Danns was world class ?

They were great players werent they lol ?

did you go any home games last season under Sven ? .....ho-ho-ho

Well half the people on this thread seem to think he should be walking into a side which is second in the Championship, for no apparent reason.

Yeah, I went to plenty, of games under Sven and plenty under Pearson too. Our midfield was absolutely shite and has now been replaced with infinitely better players. Everyone seems happy that most of this dross is out of our side now, yet they seem to be clamouring for Danns to return? Why? Did no-one see the massive amounts of free kicks he gave away? All the times our midfield was overrun by average teams? All the times he gifted posession to the opposite team? All the passes he misplaces? Do you people actually watch what he does, or do you just see him running around a lot and assume he's good?

No-one has yet given me any proof that he has anything to offer at all, it's all just vague platitudes about how he was 'our stand out player in the second half of last season' or 'he brings a bit of spark to the side' without mentioning any qualities that he actually brings to the side. 'He works hard' - well so do I, maybe Pearson should give me a shot?

Could someone please, please, please tell me what skills and attributes that Neil Danns has as footballer which would improve our current team? Because all I can see at best is a totally average footballer and at worst a complete liability.

As usual the point is becoming completely polarised into:

A. Danns is world class and should walk into Barca's side

B. Danns is not fit for the Red Lion reserves

We're second in the table and you can't argue with that - my only surprise is that he doesn't make the bench.... maybe not even every week .... but I think it's strange he's not on it for some games at least.

Archived