Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Smiithy Fox

Second best defence in the league

Who had the second best defence in the league during Pearson's first Championship campaign?

Leicester City.....

Did we win the league? No we finished 6th...

Why? Because we didn't score enough goals....

Enuff said IMO.

Remember a couple of months ago when I was 'stupid' for making excuses for the 'ridiculous number of goals' we were conceding?

We finished 5th because we didn't have a squad capable of finishing any higher, now we do, we don't need to risk spending even more money than we already have when we're well placed to challenge for automatic promotion.

Not the night for any excuses. Take it on the chin and focus on the defence. And fast.

The attack will be fine.

See, no need to panic.

Who had the second best defence in the league during Pearson's first Championship campaign?

Leicester City....Swansea

Did we they win the league? No we they finished 6th..7th.

Why? Because we they didn't score enough goals....

Enuff said IMO.

I know, let's state fact, find out where we are going wrong and not paper over the cracks.

In this league every team suffers cracks Matt, Most succesful/consistent teams build from the back! Our cracks are certainly not the San Andreas Fault.and with a little tinkering I believe we can be a cracking team. :chant:

In this league every team suffers cracks Matt, Most succesful/consistent teams build from the back! Our cracks are certainly not the San Andreas Fault.and with a little tinkering I believe we can be a cracking team. :chant:

I'm not denying that, I never had, infact I am just pointing out the same problem over and over again, 1 problem, It's easier said than done to fix that problem, but it is a problem that doesn't seem to be changing or even attempted to improve.

It does worry me that amount of 'it'll fix itself in time' comments though, by management, players and fans, these comments have been said from early in the season right through to now, I see no sign of it fixing itself yet.

People don't seem to be addressing the problem and as I said seem happy to be papering over the cracks, yes we are 5th, yes we are 6 points off top which as I have said already in this thread is very good, i'm not hitting the panic button yet because it is still very open and we are doing ok at the moment, but the problem needs sorting asap because we are gradually falling behind and it'll only get worse.

Speaks for its self really.

With all the criticism on Whitbread recently regarding his defensive inabilities, which in my opinion is absolute rubbish, he has been a complete rock with defending balls from the air which arguably is what he is there for with Morgan being the stopper. Yes, he does sometimes lunge in, but for the forest penalty, he got the ball, then Sharps' momentum backed him into Whitbreads' body, which is where peoples judgement of him going "through him" came from.

I could quite easily sit here and point out the obvious which we all know, so I shall, We don't score enough goals, as a team.

I don't really know where I am going with this argument, I just wanted to say we have the second best defence in the league and sought arguments to back that up.

Yes, so, second best defence in the league.

We got relegated with the 2nd best defence all season

Remember a couple of months ago when I was 'stupid' for making excuses for the 'ridiculous number of goals' we were conceding?

We finished 5th because we didn't have a squad capable of finishing any higher, now we do, we don't need to risk spending even more money than we already have when we're well placed to challenge for automatic promotion.

See, no need to panic.

That was before I learnt we'd be relying upon Waghorn for goals...

That was before I learnt we'd be relying upon Waghorn for goals...

...The strikers we had then are the same as the ones we have now.

You've seriously jumped from 'The defenders are shit and the strikers are fantastic' to 'The attack is shit and the defenders are fantastic' when we've made no additions and sold no one. Maybe you're just not actually that good at judging them? Or like many on here you do so far too quickly.

...The strikers we had then are the same as the ones we have now.

You've seriously jumped from 'The defenders are shit and the strikers are fantastic' to 'The attack is shit and the defenders are fantastic' when we've made no additions and sold no one. Maybe you're just not actually that good at judging them? Or like many on here you do so far too quickly.

Your back on your daft fookin high horse again aintcha Mark!

I've never said the 'defence is shit'... But quite rightly that we needed (at the time) to stop conceding goals away from home.

Neither I have I ever said 'the attack are shit'... But that I feel we need a better striker at the club as Waghorn won't score enough and Vardy hasn't been playing.

Grow up son... If anyone sees things in black and white it's you. It's getting dead boring.

You would expect our defense to be solid from a NP side that doesn't concern me what does is our inability to take our chances at times where the game is their to be won or lost we can score goals yes but an example I will give was the chance against F****t had Waghorn buried that chance when presented we would of won the game he didn't and then F****t came back into it, and we were left to rue 2 points dropped, priority signing should be to get another striker who is ruthless in front of goal, and won't take no for an answer one shot then bang I had hoped Beckford could of been that man he certainly had the talent to.

You would expect our defense to be solid from a NP side that doesn't concern me what does is our inability to take our chances at times where the game is their to be won or lost we can score goals yes but an example I will give was the chance against F****t had Waghorn buried that chance when presented we would of won the game he didn't and then F****t came back into it, and we were left to rue 2 points dropped, priority signing should be to get another striker who is ruthless in front of goal, and won't take no for an answer one shot then bang I had hoped Beckford could of been that man he certainly had the talent to.

Why do you star out 'Forest' ?

priority signing should be to get another striker who is ruthless in front of goal, and won't take no for an answer one shot then bang I had hoped Beckford could of been that man he certainly had the talent to.

:@

Your back on your daft fookin high horse again aintcha Mark!

I've never said the 'defence is shit'... But quite rightly that we needed (at the time) to stop conceding goals away from home.

Neither I have I ever said 'the attack are shit'... But that I feel we need a better striker at the club as Waghorn won't score enough and Vardy hasn't been playing.

Grow up son... If anyone sees things in black and white it's you. It's getting dead boring.

Fine, you've gone from suggesting the defence isn't good enough (unlike the attack) to the attack isn't good enough (unlike the defence) when there has been no change to personnel. Surely that's a sign that you're too quick to dismiss players.

Potentially lol

Fine, you've gone from suggesting the defence isn't good enough (unlike the attack) to the attack isn't good enough (unlike the defence) when there has been no change to personnel. Surely that's a sign that you're too quick to dismiss players.

There's no point with you Mark.

Literally.

Ain't you a bit obsessed with people dismissing players...

He's doing his usual thing of thinking everyone is less of a fan than he is...

:thumbup:

He has a go at me for it, now he is doing the same with you, probably done the same with others as well.

This forum is about opinions, if I want to slate Waghorn I will slate Waghorn, if I want to slate Drinkwater I will slate him.

If people don't like it tough, if people agree then they will agree.

But he get's too obsessed with certain things, and thinks everyone is god and we should like every player to ever put on a Leicester shirt.

He has a go at me for it, now he is doing the same with you, probably done the same with others as well.

This forum is about opinions, if I want to slate Waghorn I will slate Waghorn, if I want to slate Drinkwater I will slate him.

But he get's too obsessed with certain things, and thinks everyone is god and we should like every player to ever put on a Leicester shirt.

You did it before they'd played a game for us, Col City Fan legitimately told me I was wrong for making excuses for the defenders a few weeks into the season when I simply said that with a RB at CB and new players coming into the division we had to give it more time and look they're now second best in the division and he's suddenly decided the same attackers we had then are no good.

I'm not saying all players are gods and that we should like every player to put on a Leicester City shirt (Have you seen my posts about Matt Mills, Sol Bamba, Jermaine Beckford, Wayne Brown?), I'm just saying that until they do something inexcusable (Brown) or until they're clearly not playing for Leicester again (Mills, Bamba, Beckford) you shouldn't be too quick to judge them because, for example, most of the players you criticized in the summer have done really well this season. The defence that Col City Fan claimed needed major work has improved with no major work, but simply with us being patient and waiting for the players to return to full fitness. That's my opinion 'If you don't like it tough, if you agree then agree'.

He's doing his usual thing of thinking everyone is less of a fan than he is...

I've never questioned how much of a fan you are, for someone who got so uptight about me getting a few words wrong when quoting you earlier in this thread, you seem awfully happy to make shit up, even though it has nothing to do with anything I said. Saying I think you're too quick to judge players isn't saying you're any less of a fan, it's just saying I personally think that you write off or overly praise players before you've had enough time to make a fair judgement. I'd only question your support if you booed and slated these players during the match, so don't accuse me of saying something I haven't, because as you love to point out, 'that's childish'.

lol

You did it before they'd played a game for us, Col City Fan legitimately told me I was wrong for making excuses for the defenders a few weeks into the season when I simply said that with a RB at CB and new players coming into the division we had to give it more time and look they're now second best in the division and he's suddenly decided the same attackers we had then are no good.

I'm not saying all players are gods and that we should like every player to put on a Leicester City shirt (Have you seen my posts about Matt Mills, Sol Bamba, Jermaine Beckford, Wayne Brown?), I'm just saying that until they do something inexcusable (Brown) or until they're clearly not playing for Leicester again (Mills, Bamba, Beckford) you shouldn't be too quick to judge them because, for example, most of the players you criticized in the summer have done really well this season. The defence that Col City Fan claimed needed major work has improved with no major work, but simply with us being patient and waiting for the players to return to full fitness. That's my opinion 'If you don't like it tough, if you agree then agree'.

But it seems you like players too much, and nobody on this forum is allowed to slate them. Yes I criticized players in the summer and I will still stick by my criticism. In my opinion De Laet has his flaws, great attacking right back, but you also need to defend and at times, he looks our weakest defender and the one who can become easily exposed. To me Drinkwater is overrated at times, yes he has been one of our better players this season, but his form in the last 3-4 games has been really worrying in all honesty, and that's why I say I think he is too inconsistent. While with Waghorn, yes he has been one of our best players in the last two games, but the point of the matter is he still hasn't scored, and goals of course win you games. When I came in from the Forest game, my parents said straight away why doesn't Waghorn get off his shots quicker, keep delaying his shots all the time, when he could of well scored if he took a touch and hit it, instead of taking 3-4 touches.

Yes Waghorn has played well in the last two games, and I will admit that; however he should of scored by now. I'm I confident about our promotion chances, when we have to rely on Vardy and Waghorn for goals, no I am not. Vardy has climbed three divisions to join us, and in the summer people were saying he is our 20 goal a season man, to me that is ridiculous, Vardy has climbed three divisions and needs time to adjust, whether that takes pretty much a whole season who knows, yes he will play well in some games, and he will give it is all, but yet again goals win you games and is he capable of scoring 20, in my opinion definitely not, and same applies to Waggy.

Drinkwater - Other than Morgan and maybe Kasper hasn't every player been inconsistent? But of all the previous games he was perhaps our 2nd/3rd best player. Also your original points on him were not that he was inconsistent, but that he just want good enough.

De Laet - he is prone to the odd lapse, but again so have been Whitbread, Konchesky, SSL. He's a great deal younger than them and has not been anything like the disaster you said he would be. We can't discount his part in our defensive record.

Archived