Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Kim Jong-Un Looking at Nukes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21421841

Considering half the world knew it was going to happen before it actually did, this is not really surprising. Question is, what should the response be?

The main problem is NK is probably the only isolated and repressive regime on the planet that has the potential to be truly dangerous to a serious amount of people in many different places if provoked (in a way that Iran, Iraq, Syria, Libya etc are/were not - still think most of the actions taken by the UK/US in those places were about politics). They have functional nuclear weapons, as well as a considerable chemical and conventional arsenal.

On the flip side, the NK's know that any overt military action that they start will only end in their defeat - the US and South Korea are way too strong, and China would not risk WW3 by getting involved.

So tbh this looks like another attempt by the NK's to get their collective dicks out and swing them about in order to parley for food.

So what should the response be? The important thing for me would be to get China onside quickly in condemning this incident and further isolate North Korea. China have been drifting away from NK for some time now and without their support, the regime there would collapse rather quickly.

They can't even hit south korea with their missile testing so far, I think we're fine.

I agree that we're fine - as I said above, the North in all likelihood won't start anything serious.

But at the same time, I feel for the North Korean citizens trapped there in what seems to be a perpetual cycle of repression, and also my South Korean friends who live with this shit all the time (tbh they deal with it remarkably well). We really should be negotiating with China on this as they're the only ones that NK seems to listen to.

Edit: And do we wait for them to miniaturise their nukes and mount them on tested and functional long-range missiles?

The guy makes me laugh whenever I see him. Would love to go to North Korea, such a shame it will never happen.

It's possible to do via China using a special tourist visa, also I while I was in SK I met a guy who had worked for the British Council in North Korea, teaching English at a University would you believe. He said it was weird as all hell.

It's possible to do via China using a special tourist visa, also I while I was in SK I met a guy who had worked for the British Council in North Korea, teaching English at a University would you believe. He said it was weird as all hell.

Teaching sounds awesome. :)

I checked a few years back I think the only way you can do it is on these official tours that the government run. You have a guide with you 24/7 keeping an eye on you so it wouldn't be an ideal holiday. Must be a fascinating place though.

The fact you can't even have a wander on google earth adds to the mystique.

I thought this was going to be like Kim Jong-Il looks at things. I'm a little disappointed.

http://kimjongunlookingatthings.tumblr.com/

I agree that we're fine - as I said above, the North in all likelihood won't start anything serious.

But at the same time, I feel for the North Korean citizens trapped there in what seems to be a perpetual cycle of repression, and also my South Korean friends who live with this shit all the time (tbh they deal with it remarkably well). We really should be negotiating with China on this as they're the only ones that NK seems to listen to.

Edit: And do we wait for them to miniaturise their nukes and mount them on tested and functional long-range missiles?

Oh aye their leadership is mad as a hatter & I feel sorry for their citizens, but I really don't see what we could do - I doubt china would really do anything.

Guest BlueBrett

Whilst I'm against proliferation and I wish nobody had bloody nukes I think that since some countries do it is only fair that any other who wants them and has the money/technology should be allowed to get some too.

Archived