Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bayfox

My Honest Thoughts and Opinions

Well yesterday we had a thread about Strength in Depth and I was of the opinion it was a cause for Concern.

How we have managed to get through most the season with no major injuries to our Keeper, Full Backs etc. Is beyond me, Well last Night one of those Positions was exposed.

Now I don't want Pearson sacked, mainly because I don't see anyone who could work as well under the circumstances and still be in with a shout of promotion.

However I am beginning to question his methods and tactics, we lack cover in the afore mentioned areas, most of us also agree we needed a midfield enforcer/hardman however you want to describe it, the fact we only really have King, DD and James doesn't provide much competition in that area of the park either.

We may have about 7 strikers on our books but are Vardy, Futacs and Waghorn etc really upto the job?

Is Pearsons stubborness likely to be his own downfall? We insist on playing 442 90% of the time, yet our so called wingers come inside so often it makes us very narrow, the 2 fullbacks at times look knackered and could probably have done with a rest at times.

He called the squad unbalanced when he arrived, but it doesn't seem much better now.

And I know some people find the fact him and Stringer Clearly have a odd relationship funny, but for me last night it was just awkward to listen to even as a Leicester fan.

Part of his job, like it or not is to deal with this side of things, I think this is why the owners appointed Sven, great with the media, always says the right thing, hard not to like him, all the thais wanted to promote a positive brand and image, if they are hearing the interviews Pearson is doing, then I can't think they are best pleased.

Finally on last nights game, I think the late point masked another poor performance, think we have had 1 maybe 2 good performances in the last 12 or so games, even the boro and Wolves wins masked how poor we have been.

I really hope we can find another run of 5 or 6 wins from somewhere, leading into the play-offs but for most of last night, I had the feeling it's slipping away.

Well yesterday we had a thread about Strength in Depth and I was of the opinion it was a cause for Concern.

How we have managed to get through most the season with no major injuries to our Keeper, Full Backs etc. Is beyond me, Well last Night one of those Positions was exposed.

Now I don't want Pearson sacked, mainly because I don't see anyone who could work as well under the circumstances and still be in with a shout of promotion.

However I am beginning to question his methods and tactics, we lack cover in the afore mentioned areas, most of us also agree we needed a midfield enforcer/hardman however you want to describe it, the fact we only really have King, DD and James doesn't provide much competition in that area of the park either.

We may have about 7 strikers on our books but are Vardy, Futacs and Waghorn etc really upto the job?

Is Pearsons stubborness likely to be his own downfall? We insist on playing 442 90% of the time, yet our so called wingers come inside so often it makes us very narrow, the 2 fullbacks at times look knackered and could probably have done with a rest at times.

He called the squad unbalanced when he arrived, but it doesn't seem much better now.

And I know some people find the fact him and Stringer Clearly have a odd relationship funny, but for me last night it was just awkward to listen to even as a Leicester fan.

Part of his job, like it or not is to deal with this side of things, I think this is why the owners appointed Sven, great with the media, always says the right thing, hard not to like him, all the thais wanted to promote a positive brand and image, if they are hearing the interviews Pearson is doing, then I can't think they are best pleased.

Finally on last nights game, I think the late point masked another poor performance, think we have had 1 maybe 2 good performances in the last 12 or so games, even the boro and Wolves wins masked how poor we have been.

I really hope we can find another run of 5 or 6 wins from somewhere, leading into the play-offs but for most of last night, I had the feeling it's slipping away.

We have a £30m wage bill, owners are trying to get on an even keel before next season when they can only invest £6m.

Any manager would sign more if allowed.

Are you or anyone else clamouring for signings a magician?

They appointed Sven because even if you hate him... He is a worldwide name. He also had a track record a decade previously of buying success... And we all know how that turned out for us... As we'll be feeling potentially for years to come.

The squad needs improving, anyone can see that but it's almost certain we have to sell to buy given the investment limits & how much we're paying out in wages.

They appointed NP not just to challenge at the top but because of the skills of picking up frees & £1m men after a quite obviously reckless period dented our sustainability.

And anyone clamouring for management change leading to a transitional season of mass changes of playing staff obviously isn't living in the real world... The debt fuelled boom year failed and will hang like a millstone around our necks for time to come.

People moaning about 442 were awfully quiet when it took us second or indeed elevated us to stay in the playoff positions as a minimum for practically the whole season. NP has played 4231 & 433 to suit the opposition when needed and despite performances not being great has picked up 3pts in the process which could prove invaluable in the end.

It's not all roses though, I would get Schlupp recalled & in at LB pronto... although I suspect NP has concerns about Schlupp & Keane playing alongside each other & I believe we have the personnel to make 4231 a standard way of playing in difficult, probably away games:

King & Drinky backing-up Marshall a central Knockaert & Dyer (Gally is a good sub for any of the attacking 3 positions & James for the two defensive positions) with Wood or Nuge up top.

and this needs to be worked on more, especially for the playoff away leg if we end up in them.

Given the ceiling he's working under he's done a great job of staying at the top all the way through so far... And if we don't make it this season, a sprinkling of additions as opposed to wholesale changes could easily see us do a Cardiff or Reading who both missed out in Makay & McDermott's first full seasons as they were allowed to build on the base they built themselves & go again the following season to the Championship.

Given the ceiling he's working under he's done a great job of staying at the top all the way through so far... And if we don't make it this season, a sprinkling of additions as opposed to wholesale changes could easily see us do a Cardiff or Reading who both missed out in Makay & McDermott's first full seasons as they were allowed to build on the base they built themselves & go again the following season to the Championship.

This. A thousand times. THIS!

I really hope that even if we don't go up this season Pearson is still here.

We have a £30m wage bill, owners are trying to get on an even keel before next season when they can only invest £6m.

They appointed Sven because even if you hate him... He is a worldwide name. He also had a track record a decade previously of buying success... And we all know how that turned out for us... As we'll be feeling potentially for years to come.

The squad needs improving, anyone can see that but it's almost certain we have to sell to buy given the investment limits & how much we're paying out in wages.

They appointed NP not just to challenge at the top but because of the skills of picking up frees & £1m men after a quite obviously reckless period dented our sustainability.

And anyone clamouring for management change leading to a transitional season of mass changes of playing staff obviously isn't living in the real world... The debt fuelled boom year failed and will hang like a millstone around our necks for time to come.

People moaning about 442 were awfully quiet when it took us second or indeed elevated us to stay in the playoff positions as a minimum for practically the whole season. NP has played 4231 & 433 to suit the opposition when needed and despite performances not being great has picked up 3pts in the process which could prove invaluable in the end.

It's not all roses though, I would get Schlupp recalled & in at LB pronto... although I suspect NP has concerns about Schlupp & Keane playing alongside each other & I believe we have the personnel to make 4231 a standard way of playing in difficult, probably away games:

King & Drinky backing-up Marshall a central Knockaert & Dyer (Gally is a good sub for any of the attacking 3 positions & James for the two defensive positions) with Wood or Nuge up top.

and this needs to be worked on more, especially for the playoff away leg if we end up in them.

This finally some sense in all the madness

At no point have I said I want him gone, but I will not just blindly follow my club without asking questions.

I said given the circumstances he has done a good job, however this talk of trimming the wage bill, how exactly, matt mills and bamba gone, but wes, whitbread, keane on loan all added, beckford, still being paid by us, Danns brought on a free, replaced by a couple of million pound players, don't kid yourself our next financial results will look much better.

I'm not questioning the fact we need to do something, however, pearson is accountable for the million wasted on vardy, the wages wasted on futacs, both who have hardly set the world on fire when given a chance, yet we have no decent cover at fullback so we have ran our players into the ground, the same with nugent he looked fcuked at Birmingham away months ago, yet has played and played and played.

If you had offered me the play-offs at the start of the season great, but now i'm concerned we may miss out, I'm not a moaner don't boo us of at half-time or anything like that and have stated compared to most the years at the walkers when we sat in the bottom half of the table for 3 or 4 seasons, this is great, but all I keep hearing from pearson is, we are playing well, we still trust the players and they trust me, what a love-in the dressing room must be.

I'm just wondering how long the owners will give him, based on the strange decisions he takes.

I'm a massive Pearson fan. I think he's done a fantastic job and you only have to compare us this season to last to see what a vast improvement he has made. Even if we don't go up I'd still like to see him kept on and given a bit of money in the summer to add to what he already has - I don't think we strengthened significantly enough in January to stay in the top two (Chris Wood aside).

But last night was one of the few times where I have looked at him and really thought "what are you doing?". Last night, Pearson cost us.

I had said prior to the Peterborough game that the whole situation with Schlupp was ridiculous (someone that's been in your matchday squad all year on trial at another club) and raised the point that, were Konchesky to get injured/sent off, we'd have no-one on the bench to bring on at left back. Well last night allowing Manchester United to keep him for so long came back to bite us on the arse. Big time.

So first mistake: Dyer on. He didn't have a clue where he was and McCormack was licking his lips every time he got the ball. Why on earth Whitbread couldn't have come on (as poor as he can be) I don't know but having Dyer there, and him not really looking comfortable or knowing where to stand, completely ruined our shape. Not once was he available to take the ball from Schmeichel or Keane, he's just not that type of player, and he was out of line with the other three so much.

Second mistake: Kane. Seems to me that Nigel was trying to fit him into a system last night rather than playing him there because that was his best position. It also got me thinking, this lad just signed a new long-term deal at Spurs and has said that he wants to go back there and break in there first team, what does he care if we don't go up? He's here for games and that alone so why we find the need to fit him into the team I don't know. Seeing the 11 names it looked like a 4-3-3 with Knockaert in a free role ahead of Drinkwater and King but behind Kane, Nugent and Wood would have been a better option.

Third mistake: Knockaert off and Marshall on. Knockaert didn't have his best game last night but he's been shunted from the right to left to accomodate Kane and he's the one who can produce a bit of magic or create an opening. Marshall on the other hand has done naff all for a long while. Show a bit of positivity, release Knockaert into a free role and let him play where he wants rather than giving him 60 minutes out on one wing or the other.

Fourth mistake: Nugent off and Waghorn on. Ok so Nugent wasn't having the best of times but he's still one who can instinctively grab you a goal from nothing (see Derby at home, Forest at home etc). My point is, when 1-0 down in a fairly important match against a Warnock team who are only ever going to put 9 players behind the ball as soon as they get a goal up, why not stick a striker on in addition to those already on? Sacrifice someone more defensive and really go for it. Like for like showed no intention to win the game and we were very, very fortunate to get the goal. It was only ever going to come from a set piece.

So all in all a bad night for Pearson.

I really think to arrest this slump we need to get in an experienced, battling central midfielder who can deal with these nitty gritty games and if Konchesky's out then a left back will be paramount (if it is not already). I'll stick with my faith in Pearson but on nights like last night he doesn't help himself.

I'm a massive Pearson fan. I think he's done a fantastic job and you only have to compare us this season to last to see what a vast improvement he has made. Even if we don't go up I'd still like to see him kept on and given a bit of money in the summer to add to what he already has - I don't think we strengthened significantly enough in January to stay in the top two (Chris Wood aside).

But last night was one of the few times where I have looked at him and really thought "what are you doing?". Last night, Pearson cost us.

I had said prior to the Peterborough game that the whole situation with Schlupp was ridiculous (someone that's been in your matchday squad all year on trial at another club) and raised the point that, were Konchesky to get injured/sent off, we'd have no-one on the bench to bring on at left back. Well last night allowing Manchester United to keep him for so long came back to bite us on the arse. Big time.

So first mistake: Dyer on. He didn't have a clue where he was and McCormack was licking his lips every time he got the ball. Why on earth Whitbread couldn't have come on (as poor as he can be) I don't know but having Dyer there, and him not really looking comfortable or knowing where to stand, completely ruined our shape. Not once was he available to take the ball from Schmeichel or Keane, he's just not that type of player, and he was out of line with the other three so much.

Second mistake: Kane. Seems to me that Nigel was trying to fit him into a system last night rather than playing him there because that was his best position. It also got me thinking, this lad just signed a new long-term deal at Spurs and has said that he wants to go back there and break in there first team, what does he care if we don't go up? He's here for games and that alone so why we find the need to fit him into the team I don't know. Seeing the 11 names it looked like a 4-3-3 with Knockaert in a free role ahead of Drinkwater and King but behind Kane, Nugent and Wood would have been a better option.

Third mistake: Knockaert off and Marshall on. Knockaert didn't have his best game last night but he's been shunted from the right to left to accomodate Kane and he's the one who can produce a bit of magic or create an opening. Marshall on the other hand has done naff all for a long while. Show a bit of positivity, release Knockaert into a free role and let him play where he wants rather than giving him 60 minutes out on one wing or the other.

Fourth mistake: Nugent off and Waghorn on. Ok so Nugent wasn't having the best of times but he's still one who can instinctively grab you a goal from nothing (see Derby at home, Forest at home etc). My point is, when 1-0 down in a fairly important match against a Warnock team who are only ever going to put 9 players behind the ball as soon as they get a goal up, why not stick a striker on in addition to those already on? Sacrifice someone more defensive and really go for it. Like for like showed no intention to win the game and we were very, very fortunate to get the goal. It was only ever going to come from a set piece.

So all in all a bad night for Pearson.

I really think to arrest this slump we need to get in an experienced, battling central midfielder who can deal with these nitty gritty games and if Konchesky's out then a left back will be paramount (if it is not already). I'll stick with my faith in Pearson but on nights like last night he doesn't help himself.

First mistake - Dyer although looked uncomfortable didn't actually make a mistake apart from a miss kick which he cleared in the end. Whitbread is a CB not a left back is far too slow for that position and will not get forward.

Second Mistake - Kane, according to the Yorkshire post was our main goal threat and was causing their defence problems.

Third mistake - ok was a bit baffled by this myself but Knockhaert had a very porr game so its understandable that he was subbed.

Fourth mistake - Waghorns corner created the equaliser!

First mistake - Dyer although looked uncomfortable didn't actually make a mistake apart from a miss kick which he cleared in the end. Whitbread is a CB not a left back is far too slow for that position and will not get forward.

Second Mistake - Kane, according to the Yorkshire post was our main goal threat and was causing their defence problems.

Third mistake - ok was a bit baffled by this myself but Knockhaert had a very porr game so its understandable that he was subbed.

1- Dyer didn't have a clue where to be.

2 -The Yorkshire post was very wrong - he was also clueless about where to be and what to do - he just seemed to be jogging in the opposite direction to the ball most of the night.

3 - It's Pearson's only tactical sub that he makes - no surpise there he does it every game!

4 - I don't rate Waggy but he did OK last night to be fair to him

Excellent post!

I agree with most of what you have written. I think that the lack of cover at full backs (Personally I think Knonchesky is abysmal) is non existant & a ball winner in midfield would be a good adittion. We know NP looked at Baptiste & Trotter so he knows that this is a position that needs addressing. I wonder why a deal has not come about?

Lastly I couldn't give a monkeys about his media persona, it's all about results! & if we were winning more matches it would not be an issue.

First mistake: Dyer did not make any individual error, correct. That is not what I was saying. What I was saying was that he looked completely lost and it screwed the whole shape of the team. Name one meaningful attack we had down the left in the second half... I can't think of one. Yet time and again Leeds were cutting through our left side.

Second mistake: I thought Kane had a decent first half but second half he struggled because he was switched to the left and had Dyer behind him and I'm not sure he's really a winger

Fourth mistake: I wasn't criticising bringing Waghorn on or Waghorn himself. I was criticising that we went like-for-like in a must win game against opposition who had 9 men behind the ball. We really should have gone for that win, striker on for defender/midfielder and take the match to Warnock. As it was we were only ever going to score from a set piece which we did but a draw is not really the result we needed was it?

My honest thought & opinion is that we need Matty James fit & playing alongside Drinkwater asap !

What's his injury does anyone know ?

Don't know exactly what kind but it's a knee injury. Funny how it was supposed to be less serious than Wood's (who apparently fractured his knee according to some) but he's been out for longer

1689.81% spot on

This. A thousand times. THIS!

I really hope that even if we don't go up this season Pearson is still here.

He should be given the time to finish the job with out a doubt and a play off spot should give him that. It is very frustrating at the moment and extremely disappointing, differant formations, squad rotation, better options all would be very nice but we are what we are and that's it.

And those last 3 games I think everyone one here could well be going mental, I think Babs was the fist to crack.

Thank you for at last a sane thread.

I agree with a lot of it.

Pearson isn't perfect. His successor won't be perfect either.

The Championship is always hard, it's particularly hard this season (no really duff teams, most half-decent, loans from Prem help poorer teams paper over the cracks)

Archived