Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Milans Foxes

17 years ago................

17 years ago this weekend, the team of '96 put in a wholly uninspiring performance at home to Sheff Utd, and lost 2-0, which I am sure many of you will remember well. Distant cries of "O'Neill out" rang around the Filbert Street ground and the fans trudged back home facing the possibility of another season in Division 1. We were on a horrendous run of form and the wave of hope that had swept the club up earlier that season had almost completely fizzled out.

However, despite the complete lack of hope and optimism around the club at the time and with fans calling for O'Neills head on the phone-in on Radio Leicester, the boys in Blue went on a brilliant run of form culminating in a 1-0 win at Watford on the final day of the season which fired us into the play-offs. This was the most exciting end to a season I can remember which climaxed on that magnificent day at Wembley when Steve Claridge shinned one in underneath the twin towers.

Now, supporting Leicester City has its ups and downs but the reason we continue to follow the team is because of moments like that day at Wembley 17 years ago. It makes all of those years of disappointment, devastation and dire football worthwhile.

So lets all come together and look forward to more ups and downs following the boys in blue. I'll be there tomorrow singing my heart out for the lads and who knows, maybe we'll be experiencing the excitement of '96 very soon, who knows!

Its the hope that kills us............................................................

lol

Nah, I mean it's good looking back in the past, at the enjoyable times, I have no problem whatsoever with it, but I wish people would keep thinking the same will happen, that these things come in patterns, trends, it doesn't work that way.

17 years ago this weekend, the team of '96 put in a wholly uninspiring performance at home to Sheff Utd, and lost 2-0, which I am sure many of you will remember well. Distant cries of "O'Neill out" rang around the Filbert Street ground and the fans trudged back home facing the possibility of another season in Division 1. We were on a horrendous run of form and the wave of hope that had swept the club up earlier that season had almost completely fizzled out.

However, despite the complete lack of hope and optimism around the club at the time and with fans calling for O'Neills head on the phone-in on Radio Leicester, the boys in Blue went on a brilliant run of form culminating in a 1-0 win at Watford on the final day of the season which fired us into the play-offs. This was the most exciting end to a season I can remember which climaxed on that magnificent day at Wembley when Steve Claridge shinned one in underneath the twin towers.

Now, supporting Leicester City has its ups and downs but the reason we continue to follow the team is because of moments like that day at Wembley 17 years ago. It makes all of those years of disappointment, devastation and dire football worthwhile.

So lets all come together and look forward to more ups and downs following the boys in blue. I'll be there tomorrow singing my heart out for the lads and who knows, maybe we'll be experiencing the excitement of '96 very soon, who knows!

Its the hope that kills us............................................................

I like this post because 'I remember it well'...

Pearson could turn this all around and all this doom and gloom could dissipate.

The big difference IMO is clear to see though. MON bought in relatively unknowns and there were little glimpses of their ability from the start. You could see the side slowly starting to improve.

The current problem is that Pearson had brought in players who look to be getting worse.

Knocky and Wood being two examples.

As a result, the team looks to be getting worse, not better. For me that's the main difference.

With the run-in we now have (eg Brum could still sneak a play-off place), a win tomorrow is imperative. Lose tomorrow and I think the dream, for this season, is about over.

If we do make the playoffs this season, in 17 years time, I doubt anyone will remember we went 10 games with only one win.

People remember O'Neill had a bad run, culminating in the Sheffield United debacle. However it isn't remembered with the intensity of the time but with a sense of almost inevitability that we would go on a good run, beat Watford 1-0 on the final day before beating Palace in the last seconds of extra time at Wembley. At the time, people weren't as relaxed about the situation as they probably appear when they talk about it today.

Although, if we do go on a stonking run and get promoted this year, Foxestalk and the like will make it harder to erase and edit our feelings about this current bad run!

Once something's on the internet, it's there forever !!

lol

Nah, I mean it's good looking back in the past, at the enjoyable times, I have no problem whatsoever with it, but I wish people would keep thinking the same will happen, that these things come in patterns, trends, it doesn't work that way.

Spot on, Matt.

I like the optimism, but this isnt 96. We dont have any Izzet,lennon,savage or heskeys in the team... And im hungover so pessimism seems like the easier option right now.

I think the point is we didn't know what we had then. Izzett made his debut in Sheff Utd game Heskey was just beginning to make his name Lennon had mixed fortunes at first and Savage signed in 97. Time for this generation to step up.

• 1 month later...

I've just been watching my LCFC dvd boxset to get me in the mood for tomorrow and it reminded me of this thread I started the day before the Barnsley match last month. I think the match at Forest completely summed up the ups and downs of supporting Leicester City in 90 mins!

I cannot wait for the hope, excitement and horror that I'm sure we'll be experiencing over the next few days, 6 and a half hour round trip for the game tomorrow, bring it on!!

C'mon Lesta!!!!!!!

Think negative, breed negative. Any successful businessperson (or boxer) will tell you. If you want to punch above your weight (which invariably we do) we all have to be +++++++++! to win.

Winners think winning, just like money makes money......

Come on Leicester!!!!

Archived