Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WhatsHisName

Our defence is a bit of a worry

Thy do worry me at times, but hopefully I'm just worrying about nothing

It's not just the defence, it's the fact we've opened-up our earlier style up in attempt to arrest our decline & win games.

We're most at risk from crosses or set pieces & could do with Kasper taking command of them better but it's not really in his repertoire, he's more at home shot stopping.

We are where we are though & over last 6 games have done better than Watford.... so who knows, if we take some of the chances we create we'll be fine

Before this morning I was very much supporting Keane. But after watching some videos and reading comments on here, I think I might actually prefer Wes and St Ledger, only because of experience. I know there's a debate as to whether we should include a player who hasn't helped us achieve the current position as much as a player like Keane has, but he played his part in the first half of the season, and to great effect. 

I don't agree that Beckford and Danns should come back into the fold, however.

We've conceded a lot of goals over the last 2/3 months from crosses, either from open play or set-pieces. If you watch the goals back, unfortunately it's too often Michael Keane at fault. He seems to lose track of his man at the vital second or mistime his jump.

He's a young lad who'll learn and I'm sure go on to be a fantastic CB, but it does worry me going into the play-offs. I'd hope that they've been working on defending crosses and set-pieces in training, but there's no sign of any improvement in the last few games.

Schmeichel could also be blamed for not coming out to claim crosses enough.

After our dire run we still have the 3rd best defense in the league.

We've conceded 10 less goals than Watford.

But we've conceded two goals in our last 5 games and not kept a clean sheet in god knows how long.

It's a concern that I can see us having to score at least 5 over the next two games to get the win.

I think the posters are getting close but I don't think it's just the lad at fault.

No of course it isn't, it boils down to Kasper not coming for crosses and Wes conceding stupid free kicks. Deal with those three issues and we'll be tighter at the back.

After our dire run we still have the 3rd best defense in the league.

We've conceded 10 less goals than Watford.

Look at that in chronological terms and you will see we have been leaking goals for fun since Feb, more than Watford I would wager.

For me it needs Keane out and St Ledger in at the back.

Think people should stop picking faults with Keanes game, you could do that with any player.

I don't care who plays as long as they give 100% and try and win the games ahead.

For me he is a huge talent but is making his mistakes and doing his learning at our expense.

Would rather see St Ledger's experience in there for these crunch games.

It seems harsh for me that Keane is at blame for a lot of you. I'm a united supporter and have watched a lot of leicester this season, been to a couple of games, both those games he was solid. A lot of expectation seems to have been put on his shoulders, some people seem to be forgetting he's only 19 years old, been thrown into his first loan at a big club in the championship and has sustained a place in the starting 11. He has some serious raw potential, his ball retention is quality for a CB and has enabled leicester to play it out from the back very well, that's been one of your most improved areas I feel, to keep the ball more, I agree it could still be improved, you still seem to have patches where you drift in and out of games and need to learn to maintain momentum and dominance in the midfield(easier said than done). Keane seems to improved massively in attacking the ball in the air, I was at the Birmingham game and he got the better of zigic quite often which is an achievement in itself and was solid throughout! He needs to learn to become more aggressive in the tackle I believe which will come with experience. Also hopefully, with Matty James and kingy coming into some very good form now and wood coming back into form, that'll be just in time for you guys to spring a serious challenge. Everybody should be buzzing and the morale in the team must be massive. Really rooting for you guys :) Thursday should be a great night.

We've needed to win games who h as left us exposed at times. Pearson will sort that out on thurseday, it's a game over two legs so no need to go mad in the first 5 throwing Morgan up front etc...

If fit, and it is a big if...

I'd play SSL over Keane.

I think we've generally looked defensively 'safest' when SSL has partnered Wes Morgan. The pair seem to me to naturally compliment each other the best.

However, I believe that having James in the team makes us look a defensively better side cos we have more midfield control.

However, Nige is a stubborn fella. I'm sure Keane will partner Wes on Thursday and that Beckford and SSL won't feature.

If fit, and it is a big if...

I'd play SSL over Keane.

I think we've generally looked defensively 'safest' when SSL has partnered Wes Morgan. The pair seem to me to naturally compliment each other the best.

However, I believe that having James in the team makes us look a defensively better side cos we have more midfield control.

However, Nige is a stubborn fella. I'm sure Keane will partner Wes on Thursday and that Beckford and SSL won't feature.

Agree with this (Beckford is ineligible anyway though).

I like Keane but I love Leicester City FC a lot more and sometimes you have to make 'harsh' decisions to progress. St.Ledger must come in, Keane looks frail in the air and his positioning from crosses is woeful. How many goals do we keep conceding from crossing positions and set pieces where Keane could be put to blame? On the ground and through central positions, he is quality although St.Ledger can do this too and I feel that extra experience would help. Away at Cardiff when St.Ledger and Wellens both started, we looked a completely different outfit and you could see the experience oozing through. St.Ledger in for Keane and Schlupp to keep his place for me. 

It seems harsh for me that Keane is at blame for a lot of you. I'm a united supporter and have watched a lot of leicester this season, been to a couple of games, both those games he was solid. A lot of expectation seems to have been put on his shoulders, some people seem to be forgetting he's only 19 years old, been thrown into his first loan at a big club in the championship and has sustained a place in the starting 11. He has some serious raw potential, his ball retention is quality for a CB and has enabled leicester to play it out from the back very well, that's been one of your most improved areas I feel, to keep the ball more, I agree it could still be improved, you still seem to have patches where you drift in and out of games and need to learn to maintain momentum and dominance in the midfield(easier said than done). Keane seems to improved massively in attacking the ball in the air, I was at the Birmingham game and he got the better of zigic quite often which is an achievement in itself and was solid throughout! He needs to learn to become more aggressive in the tackle I believe which will come with experience. Also hopefully, with Matty James and kingy coming into some very good form now and wood coming back into form, that'll be just in time for you guys to spring a serious challenge. Everybody should be buzzing and the morale in the team must be massive. Really rooting for you guys :) Thursday should be a great night.

Yep, it's far from finger pointing at just Keane, but FoxesTalk loves to pin all ills on one person though

Keane was a key contributor to us rising to the automatic spots in a very tight defence with Drinkwater controlling the midfield and Keane is a very accomplished player

However things have changed since then, mainly it's our style which has changed in an effort to arrest our decline, and with 1 defeat in the last 6 seeing us into the playoffs when prior to that, mid-table looked a certainty we've done the right thing.

Looking at recent goals conceded the majority are from crosses, many are within keeper's punching reach but as great as Schmeichel can be at shot-stopping, he is consistently pretty awful on crosses & when he does come he's in no mans land watching the ball sail into the net, there's nothing we can do about it now, it's an issue to work on through his continued development, keepers obviously reach their prime much later than outfield players and Schmeichel has many of skills to be a very good keeper indeed.

Our midfield isn't great at watching runners from opposing teams, there's often a midfielder making a late break into our box who can either score or pick someone out with a pass with our two CBs marking strikers, Drinkwater before losing some of his form and drifting out the side kept a lid on things well, but James & King are greater attacking threats.

I'd say it's a sure thing Keane will partner Morgan, like you say he was winning header against Zigic, strangely it's Morgan who seems susceptible to aerial attacks a problem compounded by it not being a strength of Schmeichel. Anyway, I'm sure our style will change in the first leg to keep things tighter as a team & if Keane was unavailable Moore would slot straight in.

Yet another 'he's not in the team so he must be amazing' delusion. Sean St. Ledger is a bang average Championship level CB. He's not Prem material, he's not pony, he is decent at this level and nothing more. The fact he plays for Ireland doesn't mean anything, only shows the dearth of quality defenders that come out of Irish mothers (or Brummie ones in Sean's case).

In fact, after his display against Derby I'd be happy to say I never want to see him in our shirt again if he's going to play like that. Let's not forget when we bought him we were rescuing him from League One, because that's where his team were going.

Keane will be more suited vs Watford than most other teams. St Ledger is slow and more than capable of making mistake himself, plus he isn't match fit. Also if we have ideas of keeping Keane for another season or even getting him on a perm, dropping him for our biggest game of the season wouldn't go down too well.

Anyway

Anyway in the last 6 games:

Leicester scored 12, conceded 11

Watford scored 10, conceded 7

Brighton scored 13, conceded 3

Palace scored 9, conceded 5

So yes we have the worst form defensively.

Yet another 'he's not in the team so he must be amazing' delusion. Sean St. Ledger is a bang average Championship level CB. He's not Prem material, he's not pony, he is decent at this level and nothing more. The fact he plays for Ireland doesn't mean anything, only shows the dearth of quality defenders that come out of Irish mothers (or Brummie ones in Sean's case).

In fact, after his display against Derby I'd be happy to say I never want to see him in our shirt again if he's going to play like that. Let's not forget when we bought him we were rescuing him from League One, because that's where his team were going.

I cant argue with any of this really fella.

But don't forget we've got one game (the next one) looming up.

The question remains, which of SSL or Keane do you consider to be the right choice (weighing everything up) for THIS one game?

Personally, I'd go for experience. It's gonna be nervy, all the players will be on tenterhooks, knowing one slip up could cost their side a valuable goal.

Keane is gonna be quality, no doubt. As Father Ted said, he's good with the ball. But aerially, he's been a little suspect.

So for THIS game, I'd personally choose SSL primarily cos I think he seems pretty cool under pressure.

And this game will be pressure, make no bones about it.

Keane will be more suited vs Watford than most other teams. St Ledger is slow and more than capable of making mistake himself, plus he isn't match fit. Also if we have ideas of keeping Keane for another season or even getting him on a perm, dropping him for our biggest game of the season wouldn't go down too well.

Anyway

Anyway in the last 6 games:

Leicester scored 12, conceded 11

Watford scored 10, conceded 7

Brighton scored 13, conceded 3

Palace scored 9, conceded 5

So yes we have the worst form defensively.

Doesn't your latter half of your post contradict the former half?

Couldn't agree more!!! (Especially regarding his performance at Derby)

I thought Keane actually got Morgan out the sh*t a few times against Watford in the league match too and that his style would be better suited to this game rather than SSL's

Plus I'd start with the same 11 that started against Forest

I cant argue with any of this really fella.

But don't forget we've got one game (the next one) looming up.

The question remains, which of SSL or Keane do you consider to be the right choice (weighing everything up) for THIS one game?

Personally, I'd go for experience. It's gonna be nervy, all the players will be on tenterhooks, knowing one slip up could cost their side a valuable goal.

Keane is gonna be quality, no doubt. As Father Ted said, he's good with the ball. But aerially, he's been a little suspect.

So for THIS game, I'd personally choose SSL primarily cos I think he seems pretty cool under pressure.

And this game will be pressure, make no bones about it.

Deeney missing out is quite a coup for us in this first leg. Keane has been in the side and is settled, SSL has been playing in midfield recently for whatever reason at Millwall, so I'd have to go with Keane, as I think they are equally likely to make a mistake.

I do agree that defence is a worry for me, because when a Pearson team is shipping 2 goals in each of their last 5 matches something's not right. However I do think it's just part of a general lack of form and confidence throughout the side. During our good runs Morgan and Keane have looked absolutely airtight sometimes.

We might not even have that question to answer, if what people appear to be saying about St. Ledger not being match-fit is true. If so, can someone explain to me how this could be the case? He's been playing regularly at the same level as us for a good number of weeks now. Is it a new injury? Or is he just a lazy playboy big-time Charlie bellend like many of us suspect?

Archived