Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Good News thread, local jobs, economy etc

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/11/pope-francis-opens-free-launderette-poor-homeless-people-rome

Pope Francis has opened a free launderette in Rome in the latest of a series of initiatives aimed at poor people that has included help with housing, showers, haircuts, meals and medical care.

Six washing machines and dryers were donated to the facility in the city centre. Detergent, fabric softener and a number of irons have also been provided.

The Lavanderia di Papa Francesco (Pope Francis Laundry) intended to “restore dignity to many people who are our brothers and sisters”, the Vatican said. It is designed to serve “the poorest people, particularly the homeless, who will be able to wash, dry and iron their clothes and blankets”. The launderette, located in a former hospital near the Vatican, is run by the Community of Sant’Egidio. Showers, a barbershop and medical facilities will also be added.

A good idea that might work in some of our larger cities where homelessness is an issue (and even dire poverty among some who are not homeless).

I wonder if there are any measures to prevent abuse of such facilities, though? I mean people just using them to save a few quid compared to using the launderette....wouldn't please the owners of commercial launderettes!

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/11/pope-francis-opens-free-launderette-poor-homeless-people-rome

Pope Francis has opened a free launderette in Rome in the latest of a series of initiatives aimed at poor people that has included help with housing, showers, haircuts, meals and medical care.

Six washing machines and dryers were donated to the facility in the city centre. Detergent, fabric softener and a number of irons have also been provided.

The Lavanderia di Papa Francesco (Pope Francis Laundry) intended to “restore dignity to many people who are our brothers and sisters”, the Vatican said. It is designed to serve “the poorest people, particularly the homeless, who will be able to wash, dry and iron their clothes and blankets”. The launderette, located in a former hospital near the Vatican, is run by the Community of Sant’Egidio. Showers, a barbershop and medical facilities will also be added.

A good idea that might work in some of our larger cities where homelessness is an issue (and even dire poverty among some who are not homeless).

I wonder if there are any measures to prevent abuse of such facilities, though? I mean people just using them to save a few quid compared to using the launderette....wouldn't please the owners of commercial launderettes!

Maybe there is some kind of referral system, like with our Food Banks?

I must say, I don't have much time for religion, but this Pope does seem to walk the walk.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Buce said:

Maybe there is some kind of referral system, like with our Food Banks?

I must say, I don't have much time for religion, but this Pope does seem to walk the walk.

Yes, I suppose a referral system wouldn't be too difficult to organise via institutions supporting the homeless or those in extreme need.

I'm a complete atheist myself and have my criticisms of the various religious institutions and some of their actions. But they should get credit when they do something apparently worthwhile like this.

Us atheists do plenty of bad and selfish stuff (and good stuff), too.

This Pope seems a lot better than the last couple!

Edited by Alf Bentley

• 7 months later...
32 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

A good news story that just goes to show how teamwork and strong leadership can improve A&E performance in the NHS.

Well done Luton & Dunstable University Hospital :appl:

Why is Luton & Dunstable University Hospital hitting A&E target?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42265882

An awful lot of the measures taken there seem focussed on either a) minimising the number of people admitted to A&E by dumping them somewhere else or b) getting those who are admitted out into somebody else’s hands as quickly as possible. 

It’s great that there is at least one hospital in the country that isn’t failing to achieve its targets, but one has to wonder whether they’ve sacrificed quality of care to get there and whether that’s really what we want from an emergency unit.

2 hours ago, Rogstanley said:

An awful lot of the measures taken there seem focussed on either a) minimising the number of people admitted to A&E by dumping them somewhere else or b) getting those who are admitted out into somebody else’s hands as quickly as possible. 

It’s great that there is at least one hospital in the country that isn’t failing to achieve its targets, but one has to wonder whether they’ve sacrificed quality of care to get there and whether that’s really what we want from an emergency unit.

Which is exactly what hospitals should be doing. A&E are there to treat emergencies, not making sure Doris is alright with her sprained ankle. 

I say well done to that hospital, a testament to what can be achieved when things are run right. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Which is exactly what hospitals should be doing. A&E are there to treat emergencies, not making sure Doris is alright with her sprained ankle. 

I say well done to that hospital, a testament to what can be achieved when things are run right. 

Hospitals aren’t just for A&E and from that article it sounds like other departments are having to suffer to allow A&E to meet the target. Running a hospital like a factory with a production target and allowing quality to slip in order to meet that target isn’t anything to be celebrated imo.

Edited by Rogstanley
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Rogstanley said:

It certainly feels that way.

1 hour ago, Rogstanley said:

Hospitals aren’t just for A&E and from that article it sounds like other departments are having to suffer to allow A&E to meet the target. Running a hospital like a factory with a production target and allowing quality to slip in order to meet that target isn’t anything to be celebrated imo.

Well the quality care commission gave it an overall rating of good. And the first 2 points their report makes:

• Staff interactions with patients were positive and showed compassion and empathy.
  • Feedback from patients was generally very positive.

I don't quite know why you're attempting to put a negative spin on a positive story, but from the information available it seems unfounded. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bryn said:

It certainly feels that way.

As if you would let it feel any other way.

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

Good news NHS story turned into Tory attack shock.

Knew as soon as it was posted that would happen, if the Tories found a cure for cancer we'd get a load of posts on here asking what they had sacrificed for it.

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

Good news NHS story turned into Tory attack shock.

8 minutes ago, MattP said:

As if you would let it feel any other way.

Knew as soon as it was posted that would happen, if the Tories found a cure for cancer we'd get a load of posts on here asking what they had sacrificed for it.

It’s hardly a cause for celebration when one hospital is meeting a target. 

The real story here is the disgrace that so many are not. 

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

As Izzy says, it shows how teamwork and strong leadership can improve A&E performance in the NHS, not just demanding more money is thrown at it.

Maybe others should take a look at this and themselves instead of complaining.

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

I'd hardly say we're breaking out the champaign over it. But there's nothing wrong with being happy with good news. We all know hospitals are run like crap, if one can make it work, instead of saying shite like meh, it's an anomaly they should be looking to emulate the things they are doing right. 

Just now, Innovindil said:

I'd hardly say we're breaking out the champaign over it. But there's nothing wrong with being happy with good news. We all know hospitals are run like crap, if one can make it work, instead of saying shite like meh, it's an anomaly they should be looking to emulate the things they are doing right. 

Matt’s dismisal of Bryn’s post certainly seems to be triumphant. 

If course, what the fvck would a doctor know about the NHS? 

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

Matt’s dismisal of Bryn’s post certainly seems to be triumphant. 

If course, what the fvck would a doctor know about the NHS? 

It wasn't triumphant at all, it was saying he would refuse to see it any other way.

People in the NHS have different opinions Buce, my Mrs is a nurse (and a Tory!) and she blames wastage and poor staff far more than government for it's problems, my doctor for years always said the NHS could be funded easily if they cut out the money spent on bureaucracy and as a country we started looking after out health better as a nation, he always said attacking government (of all colours) was a deflection.

He might be right, he might be wrong, Bryn might be right, he right be wrong - not everyone in the NHS holds the same opinion on things and a job title doesn't make you right on something.

• 1 month later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42713552

The Bayeux Tapestry is set to be displayed in the UK after France agreed it could leave its shores for the first time in 950 years, the BBC understands.

French President Emmanuel Macron is expected to announce the loan during his visit to the UK on Thursday.

He has said the tapestry - which depicts the Norman Conquest of England - would not be transferred before 2020.

The Times said the loan was subject to the outcome of tests to make sure the 11th Century artwork was safe to move.

The tapestry tells the story of the future William I's conquest of England, culminating in the Battle of Hastings and the defeat of Harold in 1066.

This will be quite wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Another random act of kindness. I really like these type of stories. Gives me faith in humanity :)

Rochdale ambulance worker's petrol paid for by stranger

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-42872907

On the Appalachian Trail you get people (dubbed, 'Trail Angels') who come out to the trail (sometimes driving, then walking, miles) to meet thru' hikers and give them things like home baked apple pies. It's an absolute godsend when you've been survivng on trail mix rations for days on end.

• Like 1