Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Good News thread, local jobs, economy etc

It's painful to watch someone believe they know so much about everyone and everything when the reality is they know so little. I'm surprised you've ventured back into General Chat to be honest after all this time, don't think anyone has forgotton the ridiculous predictions you and Daggers were making every week in around 2011/12 about the current Conservative government, forthcoming triple dip recessions, how growth couldn't be achieved with austerity etc etc

It's going to be hard to be taken seriously when you've already ran away once after being proved entirely wrong on virtually every prophesy you made.

Cheers.

Given that I know for a fact I never made such a prediction, I'm surprised you recollect such bollox. It's hard to take anything you write and assume it's serous when you make shit up.

Given that I know for a fact I never made such a prediction, I'm surprised you recollect such bollox. It's hard to take anything you write and assume it's serous when you make shit up.

He can do that, he knows us daily mail readers believe everything we read if it suits us.

Reminded me of spherical's classic "I'm the only person allowed to interpret the variables" argument from a couple of years back.

It makes funny reading now: http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/82342-under-25s-could-lose-housing-benefit-cameron/page-7

Among others:

During a time of recession where the private sector is not creating employment it is essential to increase the public sector provision if the current economic model is to be maintained.

The current government do not seem to realise that without drastic changes to the current economic model we need more people in employment and not further cuts and austerity... all these cuts and pulling funding from public services and telling everyone to tighten their belt is having a seriously damaging and detrimental effects to our economy...

This is not the sole fault of the tories, but their current policies are so massively flawed that it just astounds me, and it feels like we are going to need something spectacularly bad to happen to shake them out of it. We are not getting out of this recession.

It is not looking good, and the frustrating thing is so many experts predicted this 2 years ago when they started all this.

No wonder these people don't get involved on here anymore lol

Edited by MooseBreath

Reminded me of spherical's classic "I'm the only person allowed to interpret the variables" argument from a couple of years back.

It makes funny reading now: http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/82342-under-25s-could-lose-housing-benefit-cameron/page-7

Among others:

That's harsh Moosey, dragging up threads where Mattp and Webbo look like planks. Embarrassing really. 

As for your fictional quote, I never said such words. As you've spent a considerable time creeping over old threads perhaps you could actually pull that quote? Oh that's right... because it too doesn't exist.  lol

This. The clueless gimp in Number 11 was warned his and Cummerbund's flawed policies would lead to a double-dip recession and they have.

There again I don't really blame them as it must be hard to form a coherent policy when you are dizzy from the volume of U-turns they perform on a weekly basis.

Cracking stuff.

He didn't just predict the double dip recession that never occured, he actually claimed it already had happened lol.

Edited by MattP

That's harsh Moosey, dragging up threads where Mattp and Webbo look like planks. Embarrassing really.

As for your fictional quote, I never said such words. As you've spent a considerable time creeping over old threads perhaps you could actually pull that quote? Oh that's right... because it too doesn't exist. lol

That's clearly what you were implying. In your defence you wisely steered clear of making any predictions but your views weren't exactly ambiguous.

The most pertinent post in there probably comes from MattP actually when he suggests waiting a couple of years and then comparing our economy against Europe before judging the tories. Shall we do that now?

That's clearly what you were implying. In your defence you wisely steered clear of making any predictions but your views weren't exactly ambiguous.

The most pertinent post in there probably comes from MattP actually when he suggests waiting a couple of years and then comparing our economy against Europe before judging the tories. Shall we do that now?

Is it really, or is that your humble opinion? I clearly implied that to be able to provide a serious analysis of any sector through the study of statistics you have to have a good and thorough knowledge of the variables in that sector before you can draw conclusions on the raw data. Hence why journalists and politicians can weave magical stories around whatever agenda they want, because average joe hasn't a clue what the variable are.. Can't really be any clearer than that?

You make up whatever bollox you want Moosey. You and Matt are good at that.

As for MattP - I'd choose the part when he's asked to list the achievement(s) of Gove in Education, and he resorts to insults. 

Thanks for drawing a link to that thread, it made me laugh.

• Like 1

Certainly wasn't my greatest thread but I did smile at that, for someone who knows **** all about economics I seem to predict things a bit better than the professionals. lol

Among others:

I miss the Captain, he had some weird ideas, but he said what he thought and he was never afraid to be different.

Is it really, or is that your humble opinion? I clearly implied that to be able to provide a serious analysis of any sector through the study of statistics you have to have a good and thorough knowledge of the variables in that sector before you can draw conclusions on the raw data. Hence why journalists and politicians can weave magical stories around whatever agenda they want, because average joe hasn't a clue what the variable are.. Can't really be any clearer than that?

You make up whatever bollox you want Moosey. You and Matt are good at that.

As for MattP - I'd choose the part when he's asked to list the achievement(s) of Gove in Education, and he resorts to insults. 

Thanks for drawing a link to that thread, it made me laugh.

Or you could read the actual response.

Good answer, excellent.

I'm on a mobile here so in short it appears from what I read into the reforms he intends to toughen up exams, and give staff more power to discipline pupils. Sonething we all know is necessary.

I like the idea of only making the NC the basis of part of the day, teachers should using some initiative and imagination in teaching, not reading out of a book for 7 hours.

I love more sport, I love the fact he wants to introduce poetry and culture to primary schools, I love the fact he wants to start them learning another language at thd age of five, it's a huge shame that some of the wonderful poets and artists of this nations past are not taught to your children unless you have the money to send them private. I don't see why just the rich should get that privilege.

Will he actually get this through? Probably not and kids will still be more likely to have textbooks thrust upon them rather than the works of Shakespeare or William Frost. (which I'm sure I'd have loved at 11) ;)

(I was right again btw wasn't I with him not getting it through) ;)

Looking back at that thread though can you really blame anyone for throwing insults? Everyone was at it, what a nasty place General Chat was back then when it came to politics, thankfully the forum seems to be well and truly over that now and we usually debate in a far more sensible and civilised manner.

Least no one was threatening to shag someones 9 year old daughter mind.....

I miss the Captain, he had some weird ideas, but he said what he thought and he was never afraid to be different.

Yeah I agree, he wound me up rotten sometimes but he made you think.

Edited by MattP

Oh come on, you were one of the most vociferous voices against the Conservatives and their austerity program, among others who have since left us staunchly adament recessions and regression was on the way, I remember it and I'm sure others do as well.

It's laughable you even try to deny it given you're almost still doing it lol

Thanks for giving me a laugh though.

Yawn, more pathetic, petty insults.

When's Alf coming back? We need some adult lefties back on here (I'm not counting leicsmac as I'm pretty sure he's a closet tory).

lol Nah...not yet, anyway. Though sometimes it is difficult not to be drawn to the power of the Dark Side...

I'm interested to know exactly why you think that about me, though. Do I give that impression when I post?

As for what else has been going on here...honestly think that no one on here is really trolling - if you take the definition of it to be someone saying something deliberately ridiculous that they may or may not believe themselves just to get a reaction. Everyone here seems to believe what they're saying and like Buce I respect that, even if I don't necessarily agree with it. Life's too short for petty squabbling on the Internet anyway.

Also agree that Gen Chat has become a fair bit more generally civil since I first joined up in 2011. Now I just wish I had another science/space topic to sink my teeth into...

• Like 1

lol Nah...not yet, anyway. Though sometimes it is difficult not to be drawn to the power of the Dark Side...

I'm interested to know exactly why you think that about me, though. Do I give that impression when I post?

Also agree that Gen Chat has become a fair bit more generally civil since I first joined up in 2011. Now I just wish I had another science/space topic to sink my teeth into...

lol

You do sometimes seem to realise we need a strong Conservative economic program is the impression I get, I wouldn't rule you out as a Tory voter in later in life, especially if you have accumulated a decent pension and some savings.

Spot on with the last point, I forgot just how bad and nasty it was in here at times. The abuse we rarely see now was a common occurance in every political thread.

I will be trying to avoid getting wound up and shouty at anyone who thinks Labour are a better bet than the Conservatives at this election.  I don't understand it, particularly in light of the economic success we are going through, and the recognition that most of the issues they are struggling to deal with (NHS, immigration, Education reform) are bloody difficult and long term, but I will be doing my best to let it go. 

Edited by Jon the Hat

You know a government is doing a good job though when the argument against them has resorted to people saying 'ohhh stop being nasty' instead of criticising policy.

It was just a genuine comment, most of this topic is pro-Tory propaganda. The "Nasty Party" nickname is a fairly gentle jab at Tory policy but sums up why I won't be voting for them.

It was just a genuine comment, most of this topic is pro-Tory propaganda. The "Nasty Party" nickname is a fairly gentle jab at Tory policy but sums up why I won't be voting for them.

It's a good news thread so it's going to be impossible for it not to be slightly pro-Tory when most of the stories are going to be related to the economic upturn the country is experiencing.

I have no idea what 'nasty party' even means to be honest, if sorting out other people's mess is nasty so be it. If a party came into power and threw money at everyone and everything but bankrupted us to an extent we couldn't pay a state pension or have an NHS would they really be seen as the 'nice party' just because they tried to please everyone even though they knew it would end in disaster?

What 'The Nasty Party' really is is just a stick to beat someone with because they can't actually do it on policy so they try and prey on emotion, look at the NHS stuff, it's pretty much clear to everyone (even on the left*) now that Labour has privatised it far more that the Tories have done yet they still run around saying the Tories are a nasty party who want to privatise the NHS because a lot of their voting base is stupid enough to believe it.

* http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/01/labour-cant-escape-its-blairite-past-nhs-so-it-should-stop-crying-privatisation

It's a good news thread so it's going to be impossible for it not to be slightly pro-Tory when most of the stories are going to be related to the economic upturn the country is experiencing.

I have no idea what 'nasty party' even means to be honest, if sorting out other people's mess is nasty so be it. If a party came into power and threw money at everyone and everything but bankrupted us to an extent we couldn't pay a state pension or have an NHS would they really be seen as the 'nice party' just because they tried to please everyone even though they knew it would end in disaster?

What 'The Nasty Party' really is is just a stick to beat someone with because they can't actually do it on policy so they try and prey on emotion, look at the NHS stuff, it's pretty much clear to everyone (even on the left*) now that Labour has privatised it far more that the Tories have done yet they still run around saying the Tories are a nasty party who want to privatise the NHS because a lot of their voting base is stupid enough to believe it.

* http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/01/labour-cant-escape-its-blairite-past-nhs-so-it-should-stop-crying-privatisation

That's a fair article. However your assessment of Labour privatising much more of the NHS than the Tories ever couldn't be any further from the truth, and there's nowhere within that article that affirms your statement or assessment. The Labour party really ****ed up on the PFIs. We'll be paying for those very expensive mistakes for a very long time, and there are various policies that were plain idiocy. Labour definitely didn't get it all right.

However, this is shadowed colossally by the Tories efforts. Essentially they've reformed the NHS in order that they can privatise it, and so that it can't be reversed. Serously, NEVER reversed!

Look at the prime examples of the idiots who have been handed lucrative contracts, ripping off the taxpayer and giving us the bill with a 'sorry my bad'.

If you truly believe that statement, then there is no hope for you. They physically can't turn the entire NHS private, logistically it's impossible so in a literal sense you're right, but they are certainly doing their best to carve huge chunks out of it, and awarding National contracts to businesses that will not offer value for money and no business or history as providers, but they are rinsing the public purse, and hilariously when you look at the list of vested interest in companies that have MPs or retired MPs on their books, as consultants, board members, I can assure the Tories lead the way by a very long way (that isn't saying Labour don't) or the other parties don't have members with their snouts in the trough.

• Like 1

Little bit suspicious that private hospital having to shut.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2905936/There-s-no-reason-pull-plug-miracle-hospital-say-patients-suspicion-mounts-privately-run-hospital-stitched-up.html

Who knows? There are certainly no shortage of non privatised hospitals that are struggling.

I don't feel like the economy is doing particularly well. Borrowing is still high. Immigration is out of control. Public spending is unsustainably low...

Does it not occur to you that maybe some of the good news is actually exaggerated because we are approaching an election?

I see them as the nasty party as they attempt to shift the blame for societies problems onto those who don't vote Tory or that they represent politically (those of great wealth). A lot of the rhetoric used is nasty.

• Like 1

World-renowned technology giant IBMlb_icon1.png is to open a base in Leicester as part of a multi-million pound investment, creating 300 hi-tech jobs.

The announcement that the US company will open an IT business in the city centre later this year is seen as a major vote of confidence in Leicester. It comes after IBM considered a number of other locations across the UK.

The business, called IBM Services UK, will initially be based at a temporary site in the city centre before moving to a large empty office building at 20-40 New Walk. These premises, previously occupied by law firm Harvey Ingram, are currently undergoing a £3 million refurbishment being funded by Leicester City Council. IBM is also getting a £1 million Government grant.

Bernard Szczech, chief executive of IBM Services UK, said the main reason the company had chosen Leicester was because of the quality of graduates from the city and county’s three universities. He said the 300 jobs would be created over three years, with the majority of them going to recent graduates.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/IBM-create-300-jobs-Leicester/story-25944470-detail/story.html#ixzz3QINVklqq 
Follow us: @Leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook