Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Burbage Fox

Coaching

So I want to get this clear..... this is not a Pearson out thread...

I have a concern that we are a little light in the coaching area, we have never replaced the brilliant CP and my worry is that quite a few players arrive spend a few months being coached by the set up here and they IMO appear to go backwards... Examples

Neil Danns... great at CP and Birmingham.. never regained that form or given the opportunity

Danny Drinkwater.. great at Barnsley... he destroyed us... has gone backwards

Chris Woods... prolific at Milwall and in his first few games.. then appeared not to be able to trap cement and not run... yes he might have been injured but if so why was he playing.

Ben Marshall... speak to Wednesday Fans... they said he was brilliant and he has gone backwards with us..

I cant think of many who have improved under our coaching recently and is this down to us needing another quality midfield or striker coach to bring what we have on.

Just a thought and I repeat this is not a NP out thread so please do not go there!!

opps typing whilst eating

lol

Haha no worries. Hope you're enjoying your lunch!  :thumbup:

I'd offer names like Morgan and James to counter what you're saying. Both these players seem to have made big strides forward at the club. I also think it's a bit early to say Wood has gone backwards as he's only been here a short time.

I am a little concerned about Marshall though, I thought he was absolutely fantastic when he first joined but has since struggled a bit. Still believe he can contribute a lot but it does seem odd that such a good player can become a more middling player in the team.

Wes Morgan

Andy King

Kasper Schemichael

Lloyd Dyer

To name a few of the current squad who are better than when they arrived.

Wes Morgan... good when he arrived

Andy king... better 2 years ago and still good... great player

KS... has he improved!!!! and we have a GK coach

Dyer.... improved.... physically yes.... crossing...no..shooting....no

As said we appear to have too many forward thinking players who IMO go backwards here....

I would argue about Dyer, think he is getting better and better with age. Seems to be getting faster and stronger, and I do believe his crossing and shooting has improved, got some decent assists and goals last season. I know he has more than his fair share of chances and should score more, but a lot of our players waste chances!

Wes Morgan... good when he arrived

Dyer.... improved.... physically yes.... crossing...no..shooting....no

As said we appear to have too many forward thinking players who IMO go backwards here....

First of all, Morgan was good when he arrived but was he ever in the championship team of the year? Described as one of the best centre backs in the league?

Dyer, Did we not sign him in league 1? Had he ever consistently played in the championship before we signed him?

Marshall, Did he not improve after a slow start the season before last?

Nugent, Correct me if im wrong but I'm sure he has had his most prolific scoring season playing for us?

I agree that some players have regressed but for me the argument doesnt stand up as we have as many examples of progress.

Maybe one of the reasons our players go from brilliant to atrocious is because of their age and this impacts consistency rather than poor coaching

First of all, Morgan was good when he arrived but was he ever in the championship team of the year? Described as one of the best centre backs in the league?

Dyer, Did we not sign him in league 1? Had he ever consistently played in the championship before we signed him?

Marshall, Did he not improve after a slow start the season before last?

Nugent, Correct me if im wrong but I'm sure he has had his most prolific scoring season playing for us?

I agree that some players have regressed but for me the argument doesnt stand up as we have as many examples of progress.

Maybe one of the reasons our players go from brilliant to atrocious is because of their age and this impacts consistency rather than poor coaching

Agree with all of that. Danny Drinkwater was also playing his 1st full season since 2010, the lad ran out of steam after arguably carrying the midfield for months. James and King came into their own after Jan. How do any of us know what Chris Powell was upto? He could have been carrying bags of balls and water bottles. Nigel is doing a fine job.

P.S DD played 17 times for Barnsley.

Neil Danns was never a "great" player, he's always been bang average every single time I saw him play against us. It tells you something that Huddersfield, a team who only just stayed in the Championship last season didn't want to keep him on a permanent. 

Danny Drinkwater was probably one of our best players at the start of last season, I don't really get how you can claim that he's regressed, he had a poor second half of the season (like a lot of other players). To an extent it's the same with Chris Wood, still scored well whilst he was here but didn't have the service he needed during the end of last season to keep that scoring record going. 

Think it's a bit of both really, players have improved, players have gone backwards, but it's pretty understandable. 

Neil Danns don't really know why people are still fussed about him.

When Drinkwater first came in, he was bang average, very inconsistent, up until the beginning of last season, when he improved dramatically, then in the second half of the season he was one our worst players. It's just strange that the first half of the season, he was with Barnsley and was doing well, we signed him in the second half of the season & he wasn't very good, come the season just gone, he started well probably was performing like he was with Barnsley, but then again come the second half of the season, he wasn't very good. If he can only manage to play well for half of a season, then it's not down to coaching, I think it's pretty much down to himself.

Wood still early days yet, he started well, then went off the boil a bit, we will know a lot more in the early months of this upcoming season. But my most concerning thing is, and it was the same last season, if Wood or Nugent show signs of poor form, who do we have as back up, because I've said many times I wouldn't be confident in Vardy, Waghorn or Futacs. All three aren't consistent goalscorers, or are just plain and simple not good enough for our football club.

When it comes to Marshall, seriously I really want to see him being played in the middle. We signed him, last couple of games into the 11/12 season, when we had nothing really to play for, we experimented and we played him in the free role, and he was absolutely fantastic. his movement and link up play was solid. Was the closest thing I've seen in terms of skill and creativity since we had Mark Davies on loan. Last season though whenever played, we stuck him out wide, and apart from some assists, we didn't get anything from him much. In my opinion, he isn't a winger anymore, he is an attacking midfielder, and the only way we can get the best of him, is if we try the 3-5-2 formation.

Thanks for the responses but I am not saying NP is not doing a decent job, my own opinion is that we need an additional coach to freshen things up, if any of you have played football you should all know that things can get stale, and certain of our younger players appear to lose it half way through a season..so a fresh additional coach might be a good idea.... certain people trip out all the time its because they are young.... Nugent, Konch, Morgan, Dyer are by no means young and the others have a decent amount of experience at this level.. especially King, Drinkwater, Marshall...

anyway this was not supposed to be a have a go at the players thread but my own observation that I think the coaching staff need some livening up.... and I repeat.. not the manager

Happy to discuss at Boro away or any home game in K block

We do need another coach (maybe even two) Burbage, you're right. We don't need them just to 'freshen things up' though, we actually need them. A striker coach for me is required, and maybe even another coach for the other outfield players because Stowell should only be coaching the goalkeepers imo.

We do need another coach (maybe even two) Burbage, you're right. We don't need them just to 'freshen things up' though, we actually need them. A striker coach for me is required, and maybe even another coach for the other outfield players because Stowell should only be coaching the goalkeepers imo.

Yep

Most players will get better with age naturally until they get too old and then decline ......

So to name King as an example of getting better isn't really proving much about the coaching apart from it exists ..... The point is that when do we sign someone that comes to us and already looks good.... let's say DD who dominated our midfield against us, and who has improved from there ....

I honestly can't think of anyone in years .... under any manager!

A striker coach??? Can you name any prem team with ine of those? Forest had hasslebaink last year and it didn't do them any favours.. This coach for this, this coach for that, its all very American Football for me.

A striker coach??? Can you name any prem team with ine of those? Forest had hasslebaink last year and it didn't do them any favours.. This coach for this, this coach for that, its all very American Football for me.

So we should continue letting our goalkeeping coach do it should be?

I don't really care if any other team in the World hasn't got a striker coach, but considering during our poor run, for example, we were struggling for goals I don't think a striker could would do us harm. 

So we should continue letting our goalkeeping coach do it should be?

I don't really care if any other team in the World hasn't got a striker coach, but considering during our poor run, for example, we were struggling for goals I don't think a striker could would do us harm.

There is no such thing as a striker coach? If you flip it over a GK coach would have the best advice on where a striker should put it. You just can't coach finishing past a certain level.

There is no such thing as a striker coach? If you flip it over a GK coach would have the best advice on where a striker should put it. You just can't coach finishing past a certain level.

This is very true.

I'm just thinking though. If I was a player striker, why should I get coached by a GK coach? Surely I'd respect someone like Andy Cole coaching me on how to finish? 

Agreed...also,my lad and I have often wondered why EVERY home game (didn't make it to many aways),when the players are doing the warm up,they go through the same routine..

..running between cones,then a bit of possession play..then on to passing/control and shoot.Why isn't it mixed up a bit?..even if it was to control and shoot from a different angle,instead of a central position.Yes I know it's a routine,but IMO..it should be mixed up,doing the same thing hinders from developing other skills.

Thinking about it,I'm sure they did the same 2 seasons ago!!

Agreed...also,my lad and I have often wondered why EVERY home game (didn't make it to many aways),when the players are doing the warm up,they go through the same routine..

..running between cones,then a bit of possession play..then on to passing/control and shoot.Why isn't it mixed up a bit?..even if it was to control and shoot from a different angle,instead of a central position.Yes I know it's a routine,but IMO..it should be mixed up,doing the same thing hinders from developing other skills.

Thinking about it,I'm sure they did the same 2 seasons ago!!

Sorry, but are you serious? The coaching and training is carried out during the week. The pre match warm up is just that. They want to build as much confidence from this short pre game session as possible. Shooting from all angles will hinder rather than help..

Totally agree with this.

It was really evident last year and I think that with such a young squad we need more coaches to provide more direct and hands on support to the players. Hopefully then their heads wont drop if we have lose a game.

These are professional footballers already, not a bunch of 10 year olds in a playground. Its more about fine tuning than re learning.

This is very true.

I'm just thinking though. If I was a player striker, why should I get coached by a GK coach? Surely I'd respect someone like Andy Cole coaching me on how to finish?

Agreed but you can't coach instinct and that is what finishing 90% of the time is. If you could coach it then everyone would be a striker.

Archived