Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tringfox

How many of the current squad have the scope for the premier league standard?

I think potentially Wood, Knocky, James, RDL could all be good signings and under someone like MoN they would possibly be the Savages and Izzets of the now.....trouble is, they seem to generally regress after they join us and this is a worry. If they are borderline good like Marshall or Drinkwater then their potential seems to dry up. Perhaps something is changing this year and we will see these lads become the players the hype is about when they get signed but really only Wes has been better, honestly, than everyone thought he would be.

I don't think they regressed, the whole team took a dip in form including seasoned pros like Nugent. He did exactly the same the season before last, great start and then tailed off... but he still came back this season (well I suppose it's last season now) and knocked in 16 goals before dipping in form again.

Form will go up and down, it's too be expected for all players. But more so when you are dealing with fairly young players for many of whom last season was their first full season in this league.

If these players don't reach that peak of performance again like they did for the middle quarters of last season, then I might be inclined to agree with you, but to say they have all regressed under Pearson is rather unfair at this moment in time.

Controversial this..

None of them...

Morgan would be found out due to lack of pace

Kasper.. Aerial ability isn't brilliant

Nuge... Too inconsistent

Wood.... Far too early to tell

King... Goes missing in Championship games and would be completely over-run in the Prem.

James... Needs more playing time.

Of course, some players step up to the plate and seem to suddenly improve in the Prem but, given current ability, this team would struggle big time.

IMO.

Those rubbishing our players chances... Gareth Mcauley won players and supporters player of the year for West Brom. Norwich had lots of players you'd have only considered average to decent when in this league, who played regularly in a team that survived.

Yes we'd clearly need to bring in extra quality, but that in turn will improve others on the pitch as playing with better players would make it easier for them to shine.

Those rubbishing our players chances... Gareth Mcauley won players and supporters player of the year for West Brom. Norwich had lots of players you'd have only considered average to decent when in this league, who played regularly in a team that survived.

Yes we'd clearly need to bring in extra quality, but that in turn will improve others on the pitch as playing with better players would make it easier for them to shine.

Fair enough...

As I said, some players do make that jump up. And I do agree that improving the general ability of a squad improves individuals.

It would be nice to see to be honest.

For me, none of the currently crop truly stand-out as an 'obvious player of Prem quality'. Maybe Wes? and Kasper? None of the others.

It would be nice to see to be honest.

Maybe next year :D

I'd agree that if we kept this current team then then quite a lot would struggle. Bring in 4/5 quality players then the 4/5 players most people pick as ones with a hope of making it would probably blend in well with them and help with the step up.

Maybe next year :D

I'd agree that if we kept this current team then then quite a lot would struggle. Bring in 4/5 quality players then the 4/5 players most people pick as ones with a hope of making it would probably blend in well with them and help with the step up.

I agree with that completely..

(That's a first)

:P

If we go up it will be on merit and the way people talk is if the PREM is this superior league. The difference between bottom third of Prem and top of champ is small. Therefore all players in this team would be fine to have a good go. The teams that do best when they go up are the ones who give their team a chance to prove themselves ala Swansea. It happens every year.

We would be competitive in the Prem. In fact it will probably suite some of our players better than the champ.

I think if we go up as Champions of this division winning our last 8 games at a canter etc then the confidence and team spirit would be such that many would do well, at least at first, in the Prem.

Not sure if scraping through the play offs after finishing 6th and losing most of the post xmas games is a recipe to strike fear into the Sunderland or Norwich defence let alone Manures

Not sure if scraping through the play offs after finishing 6th and losing most of the post xmas games is a recipe to strike fear into the Sunderland or Norwich defence let alone Manures

You mean like under how we did under O'Neill when we went on to never finished outside the top 10, won two cups, lost the final of another and were in Europe twice? ;)

Spot the difference between now and then.....

The point being, that at the time people would have been saying exactly what you are saying now. O'Neill took a team doing ok in the league and it drifted outside the playoffs to make a final charge to make the playoffs and go up.

Can't see us going up, sadly, but the only ones that may be ok, are Kasper who would only be average in that league, Morgan (who could get found out), and possibly Nugent, who might also struggle.

One has to be realistic, when looking at the personnel of clubs at that level. Being good in the Championship means nothing, when one is up there with the big boys.

De Laet's already had three cracks at it. 

I'm guessing your definitions of "had a crack" includes not becoming a Manchester United regular and 6 games on loan to Norwich... I'm not sure either of those would be in most peoples definitions of "having a crack at it".

He must've impressed then...

Not being good enough for the champions of the Premier League,Champions League regulars and arguably the biggest team in the world is different to not being good enough for a newly promoted side.

De Laet has pace in abundance add to some ability and you'll do alright,he's one of the few that most posters have said probably would make the step up.

Archived