Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stockyfox

The last time we scored FIVE goals away in any competition was

Was there that night. iirc David Oldfield scrambled the ball across the line for our equaliser. If not him it was Colin Hill but fairly sure it was DO.

Was Colin Hill, I remember Where's the money gone taking the piss with whitlow and hill, having got their goals for the season. Whitlow scored against Rochdale and Hill scored against united.

20 years ago. Speaks  volumes really, so even nicer to do it this season, albeit, it was only lowly Carlisle.

It was against lowly Rochdale then too. Wonder when we last beat a decent team by five goals away...

It was against lowly Rochdale then too. Wonder when we last beat a decent team by five goals away...

A tough but interesting question!

The answer in general is ‘Not very often’ but I reckon that between 1960 and the Rochdale game in 1993, there had been seven – and only seven occasions when playing ‘AWAY’, we had scored five (or more) goals to win.

Working back through time:-

1984 Jan 14th      Div 1.        We beat NOTTS COUNTY  5 -   2    (incl. a Lineker  - Hattrick)

1970 Mar 28th     Div 2         We beat CHARLTON  5 – 0 (Looking for a repeat on Saturday!)

1967 Oct 1 4th        Div 1         We beat SOUTHAMPTON   5 - 1

1965 Nov 20th     Div 1         We beat WEST HAM UNITED  5 - 2

1965 Sep 11th     Div 1         We beat NEWCASTLE  5 - 1

1964 Dec 6th        League Cup (Rd 5) We thrashed COVENTRY CITY  8 (YES! EIGHT!!!!!!) - 1

And on

1961 Sep 2nd       Div 1         We beat BIRMINGHAM CITY  5 – 1 having drawn 4 – 4 with Arsenal at Highbury in the previous game

Was Colin Hill, I remember Where's the money gone taking the piss with whitlow and hill, having got their goals for the season. Whitlow scored against Rochdale and Hill scored against united.

I'd forgotten all about Where's the Money Gone. I used to buy one every week (or was it monthly - I can't remember!) as a kid - they're probably in my folks' loft somewhere. They used to write some great / really funny stuff in WTMG - or at least I thought so when I was a pre-pubescent.

I'd forgotten all about Where's the Money Gone. I used to buy one every week (or was it monthly - I can't remember!) as a kid - they're probably in my folks' loft somewhere. They used to write some great / really funny stuff in WTMG - or at least I thought so when I was a pre-pubescent.

We had a bit of a clear out recently, and they were in my parents' loft with all my programmes, was very puerile humour and hasn't aged well, and in this day and age seems a bit misogynistic and homophobic, the odd funny bit, but generally not as good as I remember.

Archived