Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ballso

Was/Wes

In reply to

Whats wrong with modern day football is terms such as "game time", you will
Be calling it soccer next....

I think the shifting of ethos to down-prioritise youth development is a bigger problem than a bit of Americanised phraseology.

Prejudice is also a problem

Easy to forget the over commitment from Was in Huddersfield game that lead to goal right? For me he looks good, a cut above St Ledger and Whitbread, but I still think Moore and Wes is our best CB pairing - having said that it's a nice problem to have.

In reply to

I think the shifting of ethos to down-prioritise youth development is a bigger problem than a bit of Americanised phraseology.

Prejudice is also a problem

So you would rather an inferior player in the team? (I love Moore as much as the next man)

Please expand on the prejudice comment...

So you would rather an inferior player in the team? (I love Moore as much as the next man)

Please expand on the prejudice comment...

Yeah, I have to apologise for how that came across. It was just a flippant bit of snide based on the fact that you were degrading what he said because he used a phrase that is more common to a country that's not ours, rather that focusing on the content of what he said. Reading my comment back, it's the comment of a d**k

I agree it's a problem, because you want to both win matches and develop youth players. And you only want to develop youth players so you have a more financially sustainable way of winning more matches in the future. The former is the priority, and the latter is a means to an end to meet that priority.

So on these grounds, as a general rule, I would play Waselewski. This is because he is the best player in that position in my opinion, based on the very little I've seen of him. However, during games of lower priority (cup games, games against weaker opposition who are not vying with us for league table spots) I would play younger "inferior" players at every opportunity. This is probably a risk, but only in the present moment. Only playing older more established players is a risk for the future of the club.

I suppose that's only a tiny slice of it anyway, because you could argue that, by pushing hard to maximise your chances of success and forgoing the youth along the way, you are consequently increasing your chances of promotion in the short term, which brings with it tonnes of pounds that we could use to poach exciting youth prospects from other teams below us that have been lovingly nurturing their home-grown talent, only to finish 9th. Suckers. On the other side, you could also argue that by not investing in our our talent, in the even-longer-term than that, from the potential young player prodigy perspective, we will be an unattractive prospect to sign for.

There'll be loads more to it than that as well, as these are people, not stats, but I would say a reasonable strategy in the mean time would be to combine the two.

Yeah, I have to apologise for how that came across. It was just a flippant bit of snide based on the fact that you were degrading what he said because he used a phrase that is more common to a country that's not ours, rather that focusing on the content of what he said. Reading my comment back, it's the comment of a d**k

I agree it's a problem, because you want to both win matches and develop youth players. And you only want to develop youth players so you have a more financially sustainable way of winning more matches in the future. The former is the priority, and the latter is a means to an end to meet that priority.

So on these grounds, as a general rule, I would play Waselewski. This is because he is the best player in that position in my opinion, based on the very little I've seen of him. However, during games of lower priority (cup games, games against weaker opposition who are not vying with us for league table spots) I would play younger "inferior" players at every opportunity. This is probably a risk, but only in the present moment. Only playing older more established players is a risk for the future of the club.

I suppose that's only a tiny slice of it anyway, because you could argue that, by pushing hard to maximise your chances of success and forgoing the youth along the way, you are consequently increasing your chances of promotion in the short term, which brings with it tonnes of pounds that we could use to poach exciting youth prospects from other teams below us that have been lovingly nurturing their home-grown talent, only to finish 9th. Suckers. On the other side, you could also argue that by not investing in our our talent, in the even-longer-term than that, from the potential young player prodigy perspective, we will be an unattractive prospect to sign for.

There'll be loads more to it than that as well, as these are people, not stats, but I would say a reasonable strategy in the mean time would be to combine the two.

It's always a difficult dilemma. The problem is that experience won't necessarily bring you success. Neither will youth for that matter. Really it's about the best players you have forming the best team to try and get the best result. Admittedly, I would have the utmost sympathy for Moore should he lose his place to Wasilewski and RDL move back into RB. However, there is no doubt that currently Wasilewski and Morgan are both better CBs than Moore. On the other hand, Moore has bags of ability and potential and is more likely to be the future of our defence than the other two. To be honest, this is where the manager comes in! He has to manage the situation to try and get the best result. Whether that is to keep Moore at RB (which Moore tends to say is his preferred position, despite my opinion being that he is a far better CB), or to bring RDL back in and put Wasyl on the bench (which in my opinion would be the wrong choice) is the choice that NP has to make.

Personally, I'm delighted that these sorts of selection "headaches" will be cropping up. It means we have strength in depth. I mean, Matty James has hardly had a sniff since his suspension and he was phenomenal at the back end of last season with many predicting he would be our number 1 CM this time around. The key thing is Liam has plenty of time to learn, even if it is to learn to be patient and grab your chance when you can (much like Nige did with Knocky at the start of this season). That's part of why Nige is paid a lot of money to manage our team. He has to make what he feels is the right decision under these circumstances. For me, Wasyl and Morgan will be the pairing from now on with RDL and Moore fighting it out for RB. Should Morgan or Wasyl get injured then Moore moves to CB and we have an extremely capable replacement for either of them, with Miquel providing yet further cover. Overall, this situation leaves me very happy and I hope Moore will have the maturity to cope with being dropped even though he has been playing well this season. He can learn so much from both Wasyl and Morgan it is unreal!

personally i think this will lead to us playing 3 cbs as i can't see pearson dropping moore,wasyl or morgan. will be interesting to see if this happens and also if knockaert gets dropped or not as pearson doesn't seem keen on playing knockaert behind the strikers. Only time will tell i suppose... 

Obviously not now, as our system is working well, but this side makes me shiver a little:

---------------------------------------------------------Kasper-----------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------Moore----------Morgan---------Wasyl------------------------------------------------

RDL-----------------------------------------Drinky-------------King--------------------------------------------------------Schlupp

--------------------------------------------------------Knockaert---------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------Wood----------------Vardy-----------------------------------------------------------

That makes me excited, but there are so many variations that one is sort of all out attack:

This is a more defensive approach for away matches or see out a game, 

Moore Morgan Was

RDL-------------------Konch

Drinkwater Hammond King

Nugent Vardy

It has always been my favourite formation, because if you have the right wing backs you end up having an extra man in defence and in midfield, I think that it would really suit RDL who is fast and dangerous going forward but a bit suspect defensively. It gives us the extra presence in midfield we often need, and it means we get to play our 3 strongest defenders.

Archived