Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Haydos

New car + insurance

Hi, I wonder if you guys can help me.

I'm 28 and have just passed my test and am looking at insurance for the first time.

I have had a look one mentions something about having a black box in your car? Is this a thing that all insurers are offering in order to reduce premiums or is it only a few?

Will every insurer tell me this is the only way to get cheaper insurance?

Will another insurer be just as 'cheap' without one of these?

They seem a bit Big Brother to me, even though I plan to be a careful driver with low milage.

Remember information gathered by the Insurance company may be passed to the Police. :ph34r:

-Meplusone

The saving isn't that much with the black box. For that reason I wouldn't do it.

Anyway I only got a car in December. Passed my test 7 years previously. Similar age to you. So insurance wise we should more or less be the same.

Cheap insurance tips.

1) Park on the road at night. Saves about £15  a year depending on the area (reason is most cars are stolen from the driveway).

2) Add someone on to the insurance. i,e. girlfriend, boyfriend, parents, siblings etc.

3) When getting quotes, look to start in a weeks time as I discovered that it was 20-25% cheaper to do so. £800+ down to £600 a year is a big difference.

4) Pay a year and not monthly instalments.

5) Play around with job title/description. You might find that one or two describe what you do and yet one is cheaper then the other.

• 2 months later...

Anyone know of a cheap runner for sale anywhere? Looking for one just to piss about with for a few months before I go to uni in September. Passed my test the other week so fancy getting some practice in. 

Started to look for a new one myself now. Nothing costing loads, because I've got one more year left at Uni so it's not practical, but want an upgrade from my 1999 Corsa.

What is your budget?

Oh, not much. Realistically £1000. Not much I know. Just wanted an improvement. Might realistically have to wait 'till after Uni when I've hopefully got a job/money coming in.

Oh, not much. Realistically £1000. Not much I know. Just wanted an improvement. Might realistically have to wait 'till after Uni when I've hopefully got a job/money coming in.

Have a look at a diesel Mercedes a170, good mpg, all the usual extras as standard. Not the coolest I grant you but far from the worst.

Archived