Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Haydos

New car + insurance

I've been out the driving game for a number of years now (since I moved to Sheffield) but I'm moving to a new place and need some wheels.

Currently eyeing up a Peugeot 207 1.4 with 27,000 on the clock for £4000 from a dealership. Looks to be a very good deal from the condition and milage but I'm a bit wary of Peugeots from what I've read online. Lots of good reviews but also a number of people that seem to have problems with theirs.

So Peugeot drivers, would you recommend?

Also insurance, anyone with Hastings? Been quoted about £650 which is the cheapest on the comparison sites :(

I've got a 1.6 207 hdi which has done about 22000 miles many told me to keep away from them but never had a problem with it, I've heard if you buy the hdi change the oil every 6000 miles rather than the dealers recommended 12000 miles

Does 650 for a 1.4 for someone who's 24 with 0 years no claims sound alright?

Sounds ok, considering you're 0 years 0 claims. It will fall dramatically once you've got the first year out the way.

My car is 1.0 (don't say anything!) and I'm paying just under £400... I've got 2 years 0 claims and I'm 21.

I've got a 1.6 207 hdi which has done about 22000 miles many told me to keep away from them but never had a problem with it, I've heard if you buy the hdi change the oil every 6000 miles rather than the dealers recommended 12000 miles

This one's a 1.4 16v sport (90bhp)

Same here, beat everyone by a considerable amount. Not a renewal mind.

Did you just go straight to them for a quote?

Sounds ok, considering you're 0 years 0 claims. It will fall dramatically once you've got the first year out the way.

My car is 1.0 (don't say anything!) and I'm paying just under £400... I've got 2 years 0 claims and I'm 21.

That seems very cheap! Even if it is a 1 litre... :P

Not keen on Pug's personally, but if you're not too bothered about the car itself then it seems like a decent deal.

This one's a 1.4 16v sport (90bhp)

Did you just go straight to them for a quote?

Ah right thats petrol isn't it? I have to admit we save a fortune on ours, our last car was an Audi TT and everything that possibly went wrong did with it high repair costs, high petrol, high tax. This 207 we pay £30 a year tax it does over 50mpg if you drive it well and has not needed any repairs

That seems very cheap! Even if it is a 1 litre... :P

Yeah I know! Literally, first year of driving I paid £1400, last year it dropped to around £650 and yesterday I was quoted at just under £400. Thought, I'll have a bit of that. 

To be fair, I am away at Uni most of the time so I only drive when I go back home. Even though people think I'm crazy for paying it while I'm not using it, I'm not going to hit anybody, and then claim, when it's sat on my drive!

Ah right thats petrol isn't it? I have to admit we save a fortune on ours, our last car was an Audi TT and everything that possibly went wrong did with it high repair costs, high petrol, high tax. This 207 we pay £30 a year tax it does over 50mpg if you drive it well and has not needed any repairs

I'll look into it, haven't seen too many going. My main priority has been low mileage and good condition tbh. I'll keep an eye out for diesels though.

I'll look into it, haven't seen too many going. My main priority has been low mileage and good condition tbh. I'll keep an eye out for diesels though.

I wouldn't. Noisy, smelly things. :angry: 

Just had my renewal letter through from Privelage and its gone up to £720 from £550.

Went on confused.com and found one for £227 through esure. I'm 26 and that's on 2.0 Audi A3 S-line. One thing I do recommend when looking for car insurance is adding someone on as a named driver, I added my mum and that saved some money.

Doesn't seem a bad price. Decent mileage.

Don't believe anything you read or here. You can buy brand new and it be a dog of a car.

As for insurance it's the most random system ever.

I pay 450 full comp for a 62 plate 247bhp focus st.

Yet my 09 plate 225 bhp st worth half the price was 700 and when I chopped that for a cilo 197 they barely changed the price. Who knows how they work it out.

As for those saying endsleigh are cheap wtf they quoted me 2.5k!!! And my company was doing all there signage work at the time. Couldnt even fix me a deal.

Always try elephant and admiral if you can. Sorted me after a write off and never gone anywhere else for a private quote since

Oh and I hate diesel personally wouldnt buy one and hate to drive them but they arent noisy anymore my maye 63 plate a3 is as quiet as my petrol 61 a3

Does 650 for a 1.4 for someone who's 24 with 0 years no claims sound alright?

I think so, at 22 with 2 years NCB I was quoted £500ish on a 1.6 iirc, paid £800 this year though on a different car  :dry:  Admiral always came up cheapest for me, try getting a quite with them directly.

I bought my first car recently and I'm 26, £560 to insure a over 10 years old yaris, so £650 to insure a presumably more valuable car for a 24 year old sounds fine.

Endsleigh are subsidised by the NUS so if you are a student they will be cheapest usually by a fair bit.

I wouldn't buy a Peugeot though.

There used to be a glitch with Aviva online car insurance which gave you full no claims bonus proof.

Basically you'd run a quote through saying you had full no claims bonus (5 years) then accept the quote. All you then do is cancel it within 24 hours so they dont charge you, and the automated system would generate a 'sorry you're leaving' letter along with evidence of your no claims bonus for your next insurer.

Worth a try to see if it still works as that will save you loads of moolah!

I've been out the driving game for a number of years now (since I moved to Sheffield) but I'm moving to a new place and need some wheels.

Currently eyeing up a Peugeot 207 1.4 with 27,000 on the clock for £4000 from a dealership. Looks to be a very good deal from the condition and milage but I'm a bit wary of Peugeots from what I've read online. Lots of good reviews but also a number of people that seem to have problems with theirs.

So Peugeot drivers, would you recommend?

Also insurance, anyone with Hastings? Been quoted about £650 which is the cheapest on the comparison sites :(

Genuinely Haydos, I owned a new 307 for three years and it was one of the worst cars I've had. It was sluggish (although it was only 1.4 diesel), the thermostat went and the trim was poor.

On the plus side... Very economical and comfortable. If I were you, I'd look at a Ford, or Nissan/Honda.

There used to be a glitch with Aviva online car insurance which gave you full no claims bonus proof.

Basically you'd run a quote through saying you had full no claims bonus (5 years) then accept the quote. All you then do is cancel it within 24 hours so they dont charge you, and the automated system would generate a 'sorry you're leaving' letter along with evidence of your no claims bonus for your next insurer.

Worth a try to see if it still works as that will save you loads of moolah!

I would strongly recommend not taking this advice. If you're going down this route you might as well lie about your name, address, the car, your age, annual mileage etc since the 'cover' you're buying is effectively worthless

Any information you submit must be accurate and becomes the basis of the contract. Make it up/lie and don't be surprised if the insurance company avoid any claims or just the contract itself - and potentially keep hold of your insurance premium. I believe there is also a may now for them to blacklist you via the MIAFTR / MIB / CUE.

Might save you a few quid though.

Where's the rolling eyes smiley?

Archived