Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
adam95581

Sentimentality

Wood offers good finishing whereas Vardy offers speed, closing down and adds the dynamism to the side.

Vardy makes most of his own chances with his speed, Wood usually needs the ball in the 6 yard box and he's too slow to play on the counter. Chris Wood the Kiwi is a technically a better player but Vardy is more important to the side.

Who I think will step up; Knockaert, Mahrez, Drinkwater, James, Vardy, De Laet

Who I think will struggle; Nugent, Morgan, Wasilewski, Schlupp, King, Moore, Dyer

Who I think have no chance of stepping up; Wood, Konchesky, Hammond, Phillips, GTF (funny one him actually)

I don't mean to say we should bin all of them off who I've put in category 2 and 3. Especially those in category 2 (Schlupp & Moore the most) who I think may be OK eventually.

Sorry, but I don't agree with this. To say players will have 'no chance of stepping up' does seem incredibly harsh. The Premier League isn't a million miles away from the Championship in terms of quality. It's probably only the top 7 teams who are consistently strong all season. The other 13 are really not that much better than we are at the moment.

As a second/third choice left-back, Konchesky is fine.

Dean Hammond has done nothing wrong during his time here. As a 4/5th choice midfielder, I don't see the problem.

Phillips will probably retire anyway

GTF played a lot deeper when he was with Blackpool in the prem. He was one of their better players. He's not going to be first choice. Don't worry.

As for Wood. I can't believe you don't think he'll make the step up. I'd put him right near the top of the list. He's a proven goalscorer.

A lot of these posts imply that these 'fringe' players are going to be playing every week. Of course they're not. But as back-up players, they are really not that bad! Think about what Pearson says.

Also, remember we can have 25 players. We've only really used 20 this season (excluding Whitbread, SSL). We've just been promoted and now we want to talk about who to get rid of? It doesn't seem right. Pearson doesn't want to buy many. He's said that. We can't afford to get rid of any. The squad is tiny!

The other 13 are really not that much better than we are at the moment.

Also, remember we can have 25 players. We've only really used 20 this season (excluding Whitbread, SSL). We've just been promoted and now we want to talk about who to get rid of? It doesn't seem right. Pearson doesn't want to buy many. He's said that. We can't afford to get rid of any. The squad is tiny!

The bottom 5 may not be much better, above that I think there's a clear gap to where we are now.

I don't trust Konchesky at this level, I think he'll get slaughtered in the PL as will Schlupp.

It's not a matter of what seems right, it's a matter of trying to ensure we have a good enough squad to stay up, if we only bring in 3 or 4 new players we could be as good as relegated by the time the January window opens up and then no decent player will sign for us.

Well 36 goals in his last 3 seasons in the championship isn't bad IMO. That's just in the league as well.

I just think we don't play to Wood's strengths at all. If we did he would be more deadly than Vardy IMO as he is a better finisher. I'm not saying Vardy is a bad player,  apart from his speed I don't think he offers much and I think he might take a season or two to adjust to the premiership like he did with the championship. Saying that I think he could be turned into a very good premiership winger though, is fast and if he worked on his crossing he could be a handful for fullbacks. 

An average of 12 a year isn't too shabby.

We don't play to Wood's strengths - but what are they? Because from what I've seen to play to his strengths you'd have to have everyone pretty much playing around him getting chances and that just isn't Pearson's game. I think we'd be a weaker side as a result.

I can see Vardy struggling for a lot of goals in the top flight but he'll have no trouble in forcing the defenders into hoofball like he has done this year.

Sorry, but I don't agree with this. To say players will have 'no chance of stepping up' does seem incredibly harsh. The Premier League isn't a million miles away from the Championship in terms of quality. It's probably only the top 7 teams who are consistently strong all season. The other 13 are really not that much better than we are at the moment.

Dean Hammond has done nothing wrong during his time here. As a 4/5th choice midfielder, I don't see the problem.

Phillips will probably retire anyway

GTF played a lot deeper when he was with Blackpool in the prem. He was one of their better players. He's not going to be first choice. Don't worry.

As for Wood. I can't believe you don't think he'll make the step up. I'd put him right near the top of the list. He's a proven goalscorer.

A lot of these posts imply that these 'fringe' players are going to be playing every week. Of course they're not. But as back-up players, they are really not that bad! Think about what Pearson says.

By 'no chance', I mean pretty much no chance that they will be regularly starting games. I wouldn't go and sell them all, but I struggle to see where a lot of them will fit. Konchesky isn't that good on the ball and he's going to be lacking the legs. He's the type of player I could see even Norwich's wingers giving him a tough game.

Taylor-Fletcher is a funny one like I said. He's often impressed in his cameo appearances, but I could see him being released.

Phillips isn't up to it anymore as a starter. He's a good one to bring on but I think it's a step too far for him now.

I will be surprised if Hammond plays in the top flight.

My thoughts on Chris Wood are pretty well documented. I don't see what he brings to the team other than the odd goal (which is less than Nugent & Vardy). He's young enough to get better, but I don't see it working for him.

I also don't see him being happy to go out on loan. He's had a career largely made up of loans out to the Championship.

People do exaggerate the overall standard of The Premiership, as the list of little more than journeyman players indicates, when in fact I feel sure that several of our squad members might find it easier to play at that level than in the ruggedly relentless cut and thrust of Championship football.

Dyer, King, Mahrez, Moore, Schlupp and Vardy come to mind. Others like Knockaert, Nugent, Morgan, Wasilewski, DeLaet, Kasper and Konchesky might find it harder in some ways.

But only time will tell and only the significant improving of our overall sguad standard will  keep us from the sort of nerve-wracking survival season that will test the style of football our manager favours when most under pressure.

Me, I have complete belief that he will adjust soundly and sensibly enough to keep us around the middle of the table at worst without worrying at this stage about our squad's composition for the first half ofn the season. Much will depend on the kind of contracts on offer and whether individual players accept them for a start.     

Archived