Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
adam95581

Sentimentality

Lloyd is too limited to make a real impact on the top flight. He has pace, which is fine, but is so one-footed that any decent defender will be able to see that threat out.

King could be a great impact sub, his finishing would grace any level and the sweeping up defensively and keeping the ball towards the end of games, I don't think he'd control games from the start.

I am a sentimentalist, I would offer all the players who have contributed to this seasons success a contract, but make it clear to some of them that their chances of playing may be limited. We can offload Waggy (gone already) and hopefully Danns Gally, Whitbread (is he still there?) and St Ledger, Phillips can move up to coach. This should help clear the way for the 4or 5 new signings we probably will make.

I am a sentimentalist, I would offer all the players who have contributed to this seasons success a contract, but make it clear to some of them that their chances of playing may be limited. We can offload Waggy (gone already) and hopefully Danns Gally, Whitbread (is he still there?) and St Ledger, Phillips can move up to coach. This should help clear the way for the 4or 5 new signings we probably will make.

Agree 100%

Every player used regularly this season has earned the right to stay in my opinion. Yes we need to add quality in areas (every club does) but we shouldn't tear apart a well balanced and spirited side. Bring in a quality CB, holding midfielder and striker and see where we are in Jan. 

We don't need to replace too many, the premier league is full of average championship standard players

Yes, there are far too many people thinking every team in the Premier league is Man City! We wont be playing Man City every week! I think the teams at the bottom of the Prem are crap! With the team we have now we can compete for the win with most of them and I would say we are already much better then the bottom 5 or 6 teams. We have more than enough quality in this squad as it is now to stay up without too much trouble. I can see around mid table if we play like we have this season. We are already good enough, so with some additions we will be even better.

Who I think will step up; Knockaert, Mahrez, Drinkwater, James, Vardy, De Laet

Who I think will struggle; Nugent, Morgan, Wasilewski, Schlupp, King, Moore, Dyer

Who I think have no chance of stepping up; Wood, Konchesky, Hammond, Phillips, GTF (funny one him actually)

I don't mean to say we should bin all of them off who I've put in category 2 and 3. Especially those in category 2 (Schlupp & Moore the most) who I think may be OK eventually.

I generally agree with this but as MattP says I'd move Dyer to 'no chance'  and keep Schlupp to replace him as he'll get destroyed as a full back in the PL.

I'd put Schmeichel in the 'struggle' list as well.

I do wonder how many fans have actually seen are team play?! Dyer has tailed off recently but make no mistake he has ripped this league apart and sent us on our way to dream land. There will be 8 games less next season and I think that will benifit players like Dyer. Kingy worries me a bit as he goes missing a lot, Phillips will go but I think gtf will be kept.

We defo need another LB! Konch makes to many errors! And Schlupp we get figured out with prem strikers. So not so many out and not so many in I reckon.

There are a lot of posts throughout the forum speculating as to the quality of the sides in the Premier League relative to us.

I am not going to pretend to have watched every game involving lower-half sides in the Premier League this season, but from what I have seen, in my opinion not one of the sides in the table below Newcastle are considerably better than we are (and on recent form we'd give Newcastle a good spanking).

People talking about how the likes of King, Dyer, Morgan and Nugent will fare against the sides in the top 9 are completely missing the point. Any points we get from the sides in the top 9 are a bonus. What we need to focus on is getting 30 or so points from the 20 games against the other "crap" sides in the division. And if you're telling me that the likes of King, Dyer, Morgan and Nugent don't have what it takes to at least be given a chance to be in a squad which is competing with the likes of Hull, Swansea, the two promoted sides, West Brom etc., then we've been watching a completely different Leicester side both this season and in previous seasons.

The fact that Crystal Palace have taken something like 30 points from their last 20 games tells you all you need to know about being a lower half Premier League side. Build a solid base, get organised and the points will follow. Is there one player in that Crystal Palace side who you look at and think that he "belongs" in the Premier League, apart from perhaps Jedinak? And let's not forget that he, Bolasie and many others were part of a side that only got about 75 points in last season's Championship. Jason Puncheon always looked useful against us, but did anybody really look at him and think that he'd definitely make it in the Premier League? People must look at Leicester fans criticising Lloyd Dyer and saying that he definitely won't be good enough for the top flight and think we're mental. He's scored and assisted countless goals this season, terrified defenders with his pace and has finally had something of an end product. He's even taking up more interesting and clever positions to receive the ball. Ok, he's been a bit shit since about February, but that's Lloyd, it happens every season. Somebody said the same about King a few months back - that he's only good until December? So what (not to mention I think it was complete rubbish)? Even that poster conceded that he's good until December every year - keep him - we don't have to play him every week just because he's in the squad.

As it goes I think we already have enough to give us an excellent chance of staying up. The players that have got us this far deserve the chance to form the core of the squad which will do that. What Pearson needs to do now is take us from a side which has a really good chance of staying up to a side which really ought to stay up. This involves getting 3 or 4 quality additions to supplement the existing squad, much as Hull have done with the signings of McGregor, Huddlestone, Livermore (and eventually) Long and Jelavic.

We've already got a far, far, far better squad than any side to have been promoted out of this division since Newcastle, and all the while the Premier League has been getting weaker and weaker. The last few weeks have given a slightly odd feel to what has been an unprecedentedly good season for this club, and I wonder to what extent the lacklustre crawling over the line that we've seen is clouding judgements.

We certainly shouldn't be banking our Premier League future on the likes of Dyer starting every game. But he will undoubtedly have something to offer in games where we play on the counter attack (which I expect to be fairly frequent). 

As for the "25 man squad", I don't see the need for it to be filled. Whilst admittedly this season Pearson has always had the emergency loan window in his back pocket, the success has been built on using a core of 20 players, at least 2 of whom will still qualify as under 21 next year and won't count anyway. 

I think the players who have got us this far should get a chance, but they might need help in achieving their potential in the Premier League, and that is where we need to supplement - not replace - the existing squad.

I'd like to see us keep everybody who has featured in the last 4 months except Hammond, Miquel, Phillips and GTF next season (and even they have their merits). I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see Hammond and GTF on the bench for our first game in August.

TL;DR - Pearson has said he'll keep this squad together and I hope he's right. We could do with two or three additions but we're (relatively speaking) a lot better than some on here think.

Dyer was having his best ever season until that injury. People forget these things too fast. He's a limited player of course, but on his day his pace will beat the best. When his pace goes, he won't play for a team in the football league mind you. Shows what an important quality it is.

Dyer was having his best ever season until that injury. People forget these things too fast. He's a limited player of course, but on his day his pace will beat the best. When his pace goes, he won't play for a team in the football league mind you. Shows what an important quality it is.

Would people have been so dismissive of him earlier in the season? Probably not. I'm undecided on him atm, I can see why people think the way they do but I'm not prepared to write him off right now.

Same conversation every season regarding Lloyd Dyer and his loss of form, has been excellent at times this season and played a huge part in our success up until mid January. His loss of form every season is strange, he falls into a rut and cannot get himself out of it, I can only think it's a confidence thing. After the Derby home game where he and the team were brilliant opposition teams started doubling up on him effectively taking him out of the game, he became a victim of his own success. Getting marked out of games led to lack of confidence, which led to him eventually being dropped and he has not been the same since. I would love to see him in the Premier league but I do worry how his confidence (if that's what the problem is) would be when he gets squeezed out of games by even better defenders than he has faced this season.

Certain players will become very frustrating very quickly. Nowt wrong with giving them a chance, as long as we're prepared with replacements if and when they do show they're not up to it.

This - big mistake would be to give them their chance but not have quality replacements waiting to step in.

You only have to look at Hull's squad (13th in the Prem and in an FA Cup Final) to see how Nigel's formula of hardwork, team togetherness and a bit of quality goes a long way! You don't need exceptional players in every position. We'd be mad to let too many go and I can't see it happening.

There's no chance we'll be letting people like Morgan and King go. They might not be world beaters and get us finishing in the top 6 but they'll certainly do us a job if they're asked to play.

Only four players from Hull's regular (more than 20 games played) first teamers last year played in the Prem game against Swansea last week, Rosenior, Chester ,Elmohaddy and Meyler

The rest were nowhere to be seen in the Championship or played a bit part like Boyd - its over half a new team - togetherness doesn't come into it, and had Huddlestone been available there would have only been three regulars from the season before - sentimentality out the window, survival looking good. We need a virtually new team........

For all the Dyer knocking, he has always performed against the top clubs when we have played them, goals against Man City and Fulham this season, prove he is worthy of a squad place.

Would I start him? No. But coming off tr bench in an open game when we need a goal, his pace will frighten defenders at any level, next season no team that plays us will stick men behind the ball. All will think thy can come and get a result leaving it open for Lloyd to run in behind.

Morgan for me wouldn't start in the premier league, I would like to see an experiences prem defender come in and play alongside Moore and bring Liam's game on to the next level.

Wasyl is great and will add a bit of fight when required but again shouldn't be part of a starting premiership defence.

King is the interesting one. I have always thought his game is much more suited to the premier league than the championship, however Drinky and James are a class above.

Who I think will step up; Knockaert, Mahrez, Drinkwater, James, Vardy, De Laet

Who I think will struggle; Nugent, Morgan, Wasilewski, Schlupp, King, Moore, Dyer

Who I think have no chance of stepping up; Wood, Konchesky, Hammond, Phillips, GTF (funny one him actually)

I don't mean to say we should bin all of them off who I've put in category 2 and 3. Especially those in category 2 (Schlupp & Moore the most) who I think may be OK eventually.

Really you think Wood who is only 22 won't even have a chance of making the step up and you think Vardy will?? Considering Wood has score more goals than Vardy over the course of last and this season that's a bit of a strange assumption?  All Vardy really has is pace and he has only played championship football for two seasons a jump to the premiership will be huge for him. I think him and Wood will struggle but they both have a good chance of succeeding.

Really you think Wood who is only 22 won't even have a chance of making the step up and you think Vardy will?? Considering Wood has score more goals than Vardy over the course of last and this season that's a bit of a strange assumption?  All Vardy really has is pace and he has only played championship football for two seasons a jump to the premiership will be huge for him. I think him and Wood will struggle but they both have a good chance of succeeding.

Do you honestly think Wood is better than Vardy?

It's a no-brainer for me. We definitely play more to Vardy's strengths but there isn't a player we miss more when he's not there IMO.

I'm struggling to see what Wood offers. Other than his first few games he's been largely poor for us.

ttfn's post is excellent as well by the way. He's basically put in better words what I mean.

That's why I stick Dyer in the 'will struggle' category rather than 'get rid'.

Hackney, not sure about Schmeichel. I can see him being one of these who really takes to the Premier League. That display against England proved to me he's got it in him to turn it on when he's in the spotlight.

It's a true point people make about the individuals of other clubs. How that squad of Palace players is 11th (and the best team outside of the top 7 since Pulis took over) is beyond me.

Organisation and consistency will see us through next year and we've got a manager who in my opinion, will do just that.

We'll be fine. I'll only start worrying if we hit a bad run, press the panic button and appoint Jose Pedro whatever who guided Almeria to 17th in 2011

Love how people STILL write Lloyd off. 

He'll be a huge asset at certain points next season, maybe not the first name on the team sheet, he'll be in and out and will have a dip at some stage but when he's hot, fuck me he'll give us something as he has for the past 5 years.

Cult hero. 

Only four players from Hull's regular (more than 20 games played) first teamers last year played in the Prem game against Swansea last week, Rosenior, Chester ,Elmohaddy and Meyler

The rest were nowhere to be seen in the Championship or played a bit part like Boyd - its over half a new team - togetherness doesn't come into it, and had Huddlestone been available there would have only been three regulars from the season before - sentimentality out the window, survival looking good. We need a virtually new team........

Hull lost fifteen games last season and got 79 points. They're one of the worst sides I've ever seen get automatically promoted, if not the worst.

We've already got 90 points and could end up with 25% more points than they got last season. The two situations aren't remotely comparable, not least because they had a couple of important players who were loanees and nobody who even hinted at being good enough to step up upfront (with the exception of Aluko who is not really a striker).

Given that Matty Fryatt and Alex Bruce are regular members of Hull's match day squad of 18, there's absolutely no reason to think that the likes of Morgan and Vardy wouldn't do at least equally well for us.

There's no reason for us to suddenly develop an inferiority complex about our first choice 11. All of them plus King and Wood have a good chance of making the step up. With 2 or 3 proven additions we should have a decent first season.

Drinkwater and James will be the best midfield partnership outside of the big clubs next season. Schmiecal the top 'smaller club' keeper.

Bradley Johnson, Leon Brittan, Gary Hooper, Gareth McAuley, Allan McGregor, Andy Wilkinson, Damien Delaney. These are all Premiership players, but would any of them be in our first 11?

Do you honestly think Wood is better than Vardy?

It's a no-brainer for me. We definitely play more to Vardy's strengths but there isn't a player we miss more when he's not there IMO.

I'm struggling to see what Wood offers. Other than his first few games he's been largely poor for us.

Well 36 goals in his last 3 seasons in the championship isn't bad IMO. That's just in the league as well.

I just think we don't play to Wood's strengths at all. If we did he would be more deadly than Vardy IMO as he is a better finisher. I'm not saying Vardy is a bad player,  apart from his speed I don't think he offers much and I think he might take a season or two to adjust to the premiership like he did with the championship. Saying that I think he could be turned into a very good premiership winger though, is fast and if he worked on his crossing he could be a handful for fullbacks. 

Archived