Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Haydos

Petition against the new B-League plans

It would be nice if this could be left here in the Leicester subforum as it does affect us and will get more exposure here. Below is a petition to sign if you're against the FA's new plan to implement a new B-League, going straight into the 5th tier of English football below League 2.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/the-football-association-say-no-to-b-teams

Personally I am against the idea. I think it's insulting to the history of the English game and it's fantastic league structure and a kick in the teeth to smaller clubs that linger around the 4th/5th/6th tiers. On top of this I think it will be exploited by the larger clubs contribute even more to their hoarding of young talent (see Chelsea and their link with Vitesse).

I honestly believe that an overhaul of coaching objectives is what's required to change the fortunes of the National team in the long term, not giving Premiership clubs more of an opportunity to dominate at the detriment to clubs lower down the pyramid. 

I'm still on the fence with it. It would be a huge shock to the system, to have such a radical change, true, but I can totally see where Dyke is coming from, with the longer term view of the game and developing youngsters. I don't think it's really a 'kick in the teeth' to the teams that linger around the conference levels anyway. The structure is to be a normal promotion/relegation system, and so, the teams in the league below, will still have a chance to progress in the same manner that they can already.

The squads will be for under 21's (with 3 over 23's), with the majority to be British players. The idea of getting British youngsters out, playing regularly against fully fledged teams and mature players, has to be seen as a good thing overall for the national sides?

Let's not forget, this isn't just for Prem teams. There will be regular teams in there and not every Prem team has to enter (I think). Yes, an overhaul of the coaching system is needed too, to change our style and directives, but not just to simply copy Spain etc, but to develop our own way of progressing and taking the best elements from various styles, but if they were to go and make wholesale changes to all of that, there would still be plenty of people objecting that. When it comes to big changes, people will always oppose. People don't like change, and that's fine, I don't always either, but if something is to be done to change the national team's fortunes and get more British players of a better standard in the Prem, it's going to have to be a radical change. 

As I said, I'm still actually on the fence with this, despite what I've said above. I've just tried to explain the opposite side of the coin :thumbup:

Agreed.

The English Football League is one of this country’s pieces of heritage. It needs protecting in the same way as a Grade-2 listed building.

Can you imagine how soul-destroying it would be for fans of Scunthorpe or Grimsby to go to play a key fixture against ‘Leicester B’. Knowing that the fans and players of Leicester don’t really care about the outcome of that fixture.

Incidentally, Dyke’s changes won’t do a single thing to improve England’s World Cup chances.

We have over 100 English players playing in the Premier League. We only need 11 to win a World Cup!These 100+ players play against the best players in the World every week. Diluting that figure to 200 English players clearly won’t improve the quality of England’s first choice 11.

Luke Shaw and Jack Rodwell are better players because they play against the likes of Luis Suarez and David Luiz every week. How will making them play against other English players (rather than players they might face in the World Cup) improve their ability to face World class players? It makes no sense.

The problem is that Luke Shaw and Jack Rodwell won’t play in the World Cup. Ashley Cole and Steve Gerrard will. Once again, we’ll once again ask 34 and 35 year old players to play 3 games in a week in high temperature, and then wonder why our team lacks energy and motivation.

Can you imagine how soul-destroying it would be for fans of Scunthorpe or Grimsby to go to play a key fixture against ‘Leicester B’. Knowing that the fans and players of Leicester don’t really care about the outcome of that fixture.

This is a key point that I was going to mention as well. There'll be no away followings and can't imagine many home fans would be keen to watch a match against Leicester B either.

This is a key point that I was going to mention as well. There'll be no away followings and can't imagine many home fans would be keen to watch a match against Leicester B either.

Yeah this idea really hasn't been thought through properly. Did some research and found this:

http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/esp-segunda-division-2010-2011/1/

Barcelona's B team average attendance in Spain's Second Division was 3,066. Villarreal B was 1,804. That's in Spain's equivalent of the Championship.

Can you imagine how many people would turn out to watch Wigan Athletic B v Exeter City on a Tuesday night in December?

Attendances of 100 look realistic if this idea goes through.

No-one is interested in a B League.

Agreed.

The English Football League is one of this country’s pieces of heritage. It needs protecting in the same way as a Grade-2 listed building.

Incidentally, Dyke’s changes won’t do a single thing to improve England’s World Cup chances.

We have over 100 English players playing in the Premier League. We only need 11 to win a World Cup!These 100+ players play against the best players in the World every week. Diluting that figure to 200 English players clearly won’t improve the quality of England’s first choice 11.

Luke Shaw and Jack Rodwell are better players because they play against the likes of Luis Suarez and David Luiz every week. How will making them play against other English players (rather than players they might face in the World Cup) improve their ability to face World class players? It makes no sense.

The problem is that Luke Shaw and Jack Rodwell won’t play in the World Cup. Ashley Cole and Steve Gerrard will. Once again, we’ll once again ask 34 and 35 year old players to play 3 games in a week in high temperature, and then wonder why our team lacks energy and motivation.

Very good post!

I'm not particularly against the idea, but what happens when the Wolves situation occurs again? Wolves could have a game against Wolves B in division 1, so surly Wolves B wouldn't be allowed to beat Wolves (A), giving them an unfair advantage. Also Wolves B could chose to lose a game helping Wolves (A) again an advantage. I know its just an idea, but who gets to have a B team? All Premier clubs? So do the clubs that are relegated have to disband their B team too?

I think there are some good points to it. If you have Man U B playing against Notts County then the good players have more chance to be spotted that otherwise wouldn't be. It would help the other teams too, people that wouldn't take a second look at the lower leagues might watch a few games generating more money for the lower league teams, but if the aim is to promote English talent, it would make more sense to just cap the amount of foreign players a club can have. There are far too many average foreign players in the Premier League.  

Yeah this idea really hasn't been thought through properly. Did some research and found this:

http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/esp-segunda-division-2010-2011/1/

Barcelona's B team average attendance in Spain's Second Division was 3,066. Villarreal B was 1,804. That's in Spain's equivalent of the Championship.

Can you imagine how many people would turn out to watch Wigan Athletic B v Exeter City on a Tuesday night in December?

Attendances of 100 look realistic if this idea goes through.

No-one is interested in a B League.

Yep, same in Germany. Stuttgart II's average is 956. Dortmund II's is only 2,465. And that's at charging about 6/7 EUR for the privilege. Utterly diabolical idea and I can't even begin to understand the logic in having some of our half-promising youngsters drop from playing Championship football to playing 5th tier shite.

This must be stopped.

I'm not particularly against the idea, but what happens when the Wolves situation occurs again? Wolves could have a game against Wolves B in division 1, so surly Wolves B wouldn't be allowed to beat Wolves (A), giving them an unfair advantage. Also Wolves B could chose to lose a game helping Wolves (A) again an advantage. I know its just an idea, but who gets to have a B team? All Premier clubs? So do the clubs that are relegated have to disband their B team too?

I think there are some good points to it. If you have Man U B playing against Notts County then the good players have more chance to be spotted that otherwise wouldn't be. It would help the other teams too, people that wouldn't take a second look at the lower leagues might watch a few games generating more money for the lower league teams, but if the aim is to promote English talent, it would make more sense to just cap the amount of foreign players a club can have. There are far too many average foreign players in the Premier League.  

As far as I'm aware, the two teams wouldn't be allowed to compete in the same division, so that scenario wouldn't happen. Though I see your point, SHOULD that occur.

As for the average foreign players, that too, is part of the overall plan, by creating stricter work permits and attempting to cap the number of non EU players within a squad (though I'm not too sure that would stand up, due to freedom of trade etc etc etc). At least it has been discussed.

Yep, same in Germany. Stuttgart II's average is 956. Dortmund II's is only 2,465. And that's at charging about 6/7 EUR for the privilege. Utterly diabolical idea and I can't even begin to understand the logic in having some of our half-promising youngsters drop from playing Championship football to playing 5th tier shite.

This must be stopped.

We wouldn't automatically be stopped from allowing better youngsters to go on loan to the championship, I think. Besides, it's not meant to be an immediate impact. It's all working towards the greater plan of 2020 and 2022 world/Euro championships. After a few seasons, the leagues would even themselves out, with better B teams playing a higher standard, and therefore getting better experience. This isn't about attendances, it's about giving youngsters a chance to play regularly in decent leagues. I don't like to compare, but it's hardly damaged the Spanish or German youth setup has it. Both of those have been consistently creating great young players over the last decade.

A bit far fetched but what would happen in the future if say Wolves were relegated to League two as Wolves B were promoted to League one.

Highly unlikly but could a teams B team be in a higher division?

B teams I don;t see how it would work, seems a daft idea.

What I always thought would be a good idea, was if higher teams twinned with lower teams and were able to loan younger or inexperienced players, on the basis that to be eligible you couldn't have played in the higher first team more than a set number of times and also a limit on the number of loaned players you could have at a time. 

Tighter guidelines on the poaching of young players from their home clubs would be a start. Then domestic player quotas, and perhaps even age-based salary caps (ie, no more than 5K per week for an under 21). There are a million ways you can improve our domestic game without dismantling the basic structure of it.

A bit far fetched but what would happen in the future if say Wolves were relegated to League two as Wolves B were promoted to League one.

Highly unlikly but could a teams B team be in a higher division?

See the Spanish system. You can't be in the same division or higher than your A team. I assume it would work the same. If the B team got promotion to the same league then that would be void and they would continue to play in the league below. Pretty straightforward.

Would it be the same as reserve sides? I would imagine teams could not be relegated to or promoted to the B league.

The top teams would dominate though as they have larger squads.

I always wondered whether it would be possible for England to have a regular team in one of the leagues or maybe play a top team when there are no fixtures. Meeting up once every six months cannot be helpful with just a few days training together. There needs to be a  regular squad from youth through to denior with regular meet ups.

Archived